You know you did it wrong when...

Should mention that was after my bottling bucket that I had at an extreme tilt to get the last couple bottles out fell off the table and all over. And way after I started my bottling day freaked out because there were spots off blood all over the basement floor. Apparently I cut my toe somewhere but was glad to know I didn't get blood in anything. Like I said bottling day was rough...
Bet your double thinking kegging :rolleyes:.
Your a trooper man!

Bloody Finger, one of my best, if not my best brew ever. Carboys are gone, 10 gallon 3 vessel system is gone, finger... still there! So much has changed in a year!
Screenshot_20210102-072003_Chrome.jpg

When you fill kettle on brew day switch on pump for circulation and notice it's not priming right :confused: then look over in the brew cabinet and notice an important piece of the puzzle :eek::D:D
20210116_070203.jpg

Always put your impeller back in lol...
Don't you just love it brought me back down to earth that's for sure...

Did the same thing with the automatic bread machine last month. :oops:

Ben's problem did remind me of a question I have. How often do (should?) you remove the pump head and clean the impeller?

Ben's problem did remind me of a question I have. How often do (should?) you remove the pump head and clean the impeller?
My last batch was a hoppy beer so that's why I cleaned it out hops get in there I find and even the percarbonate and fresh hot water clean don't move it.
I'll probably take apart after today's 470g hop beer lol:D.
Really should do my ball valve as well same story;)

Although I've never discovered a problem when I disassembled my pump, I do it about every 4th batch. I run the output of the immersion chiller through the pump during the settling out time, alternating the direction. Seems to do the trick. I do bag hops, which definitely helps/

I'll have to add that to my maintenance checklist. I have one because I can never remember when I last changed the furnace and water filters, or as a simple monthly reminder to check the radon fan, smoke detectors, etc.

I'll have to add that to my maintenance checklist. I have one because I can never remember when I last changed the furnace and water filters, or as a simple monthly reminder to check the radon fan, smoke detectors, etc.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one. If it isn't on my calendar, it doesn't get done. If I didn't get mail every couple of days, I'd probably forget my name :confused:

Although I've never discovered a problem when I disassembled my pump, I do it about every 4th batch.
Hm, I wonder what I should do with my Brewzilla 35. The pump is deep in the bowels of the base.

Hm, I wonder what I should do with my Brewzilla 35. The pump is deep in the bowels of the base.
Mine's bolted to a tabletop but then, I cobbled my system together myself. I take the pump apart every so often and give it a thorough cleaning - my CIP procedure works well enough it doesn't need cleaning often.

my CIP procedure works well enough it doesn't need cleaning often.
I do run hot PBW through the system with the pump after every brew. In theory that cleans most of it. Maybe one day I will take it apart and see what it looks like inside.

Kinda like a kid taking apart the vacuum cleaner: they knew I was going to be an engineer at an early age...

I do run hot PBW through the system with the pump after every brew. In theory that cleans most of it. Maybe one day I will take it apart and see what it looks like inside.

Kinda like a kid taking apart the vacuum cleaner: they knew I was going to be an engineer at an early age...
Yeah I find just a bit of crud I'll take my pump head off today and post a pic for you see what we get;).
It'll be mostly hop debris I'm imagining. (Plus it's only one run in).

I collect my first run of chiller water then use this with some sodium percarbonate at the end of brew day then flush with more hot chiller water. It's them little crevices that the crud remains.
Remember it gets a 60min boil sanitize down there In the pump I switch mine off for the boil but when I put the chiller in at 15 I turn the pump on then too.
I rekon better to be overboard on cleaning then under getting bit sucks been there too many times:rolleyes:...

Going to clean mine after tomorrow's brew

...you have to cold crash your hydrometer sample. :oops:
Not paying any attention to what I was doing, I stuck the auto siphon right into the middle of the whirlpooled trub and filled my hydro with a pile of crap. I’m not sure how all of that will affect the reading, but I can always check it in a few days. Pre-boil gravity was fine, so I’m not too concerned.

7FFCB415-7ED3-420D-A5B9-A005249F8591.jpeg

...you have to cold crash your hydrometer sample. :oops:
Not paying any attention to what I was doing, I stuck the auto siphon right into the middle of the whirlpooled trub and filled my hydro with a pile of crap. I’m not sure how all of that will affect the reading, but I can always check it in a few days. Pre-boil gravity was fine, so I’m not too concerned.

View attachment 13846

If nothing else, looks like there's enough for a taste test :)

You won't get an accurate hydrometer reading off that.

Back