You know you did it wrong when...

You look up at the bin after dumping two pounds of what you think is dark Munich into your Maerzen grain bill and see Dark Wheat.

Recovery: 4 ounces of Melaniodin malt. Guys at LHBS got a hefty laugh out of it.
At least it shouldn't impact on flavour too much being wheat but colour will be more Swartzbier:p

At least it shouldn't impact on flavour too much being wheat but colour will be more Swartzbier:p
Not likely - dark wheat (not chocolate wheat!) doesn't add much color at all. I think I'll be fine, just give the judges a bit of je ne sais pas this fall.

You know you did it wrong when you sit down to the zoom meeting after brewing and didn't do any clean up first. And then the zoom meeting ends and this is what your kitchen looks like...doh!
20210424_161821.jpg

You know you did it wrong when you max out one hand counting the things that went wrong.
1) Mash tun was not warmed up enough so I guessed at new strike water temp and overshot mash temp by 6 degrees! Had to stir and added ice cubes to bring it back down.
2) I decided to see how fast was too fast for an underlet and got doughballs
3) When adding initial hops, and a boil over was imminent, I turned flame up not down! So I boiled over the first use of my new brew kettle.
4) At 30 minute mark I discovered I had added 10 minute aroma hops (Fuggles) at 60 minutes instead of Northdown. So I added the forgotten hops then and of course skipped the 10 minute hop addition
5) And to finish it off I broke hydrometer when getting OG

I still expect it to be a good beer but.....
20.png
!

You know you did it wrong when you sit down to the zoom meeting after brewing and didn't do any clean up first. And then the zoom meeting ends and this is what your kitchen looks like...doh!
View attachment 15445
Everytime I clean up the kitchen first to keep the lady of the house happy and and leave the stuff in the basement (including my kettle that won't fit in the kitchen sink) for later. Every time I hate myself when I'm on my way to bed and remember I still have a mess to clean up

You know you did it wrong when you max out one hand counting the things that went wrong.
1) Mash tun was not warmed up enough so I guessed at new strike water temp and overshot mash temp by 6 degrees! Had to stir and added ice cubes to bring it back down.
3) When adding initial hops, and a boil over was imminent, I turned flame up not down! So I boiled over the first use of my new brew kettle.
4) At 30 minute mark I discovered I had added 10 minute aroma hops (Fuggles) at 60 minutes instead of Northdown. So I added the forgotten hops then and of course skipped the 10 minute hop addition

20.png
!
Wow I hope it's a great beer then :p.

20.png
!
One of those days Larry, we all have them!

You know you did it wrong when you max out one hand counting the things that went wrong

Yikes! And to think I was pissed off when I looked on the table and saw I hadn't put the manifold in the Mash tun...AGAIN! I think I'll put a Post-it note in the bottom of the tun!

20.png
!

Forgot one:
6) I wondered why I couldn't get the boil back after dealing with my boil over. Found out propane tank was running out and only had enough for a weak flame. Fortunately the tank on the gas grill still had some in it.

Yikes! And to think I was pissed off when I looked on the table and saw I hadn't put the manifold in the Mash tun...AGAIN! I think I'll put a Post-it note in the bottom of the tun!
So a couple of batches ago I had to dump 5 gallons of Hefeweitzen because I forgot to remove the StarSan from the keg. :mad:

I use wired paper tags like these to mark my kegs and such, labeling them with their contents or status, like 'ipa' or 'cleaned & sanitized'.
To help prevent that I now wrap the wire of a tag 'drain the sanitizer' around the liquid post to remind me to, er, drain the sanitizer.

I dropped the keg lid o-ring in one of my kegs and it didn't float so I had a spare and I'm just hoping it doesn't turn that keg sour. That was rather dumb of me.

View attachment 15445

I cleaned my brewery on Sunday!

By the way, no one commented on my black eye. Either you all think I'm a boxer in my spare time, or you're all very very polite.

I cleaned my brewery on Sunday!

By the way, no one commented on my black eye. Either you all think I'm a boxer in my spare time, or you're all very very polite.

Oh we just waited until you logged off then we talked about nothing else! :p
Either it wasn't as bad as you think or I'm less observant than I think.

So is there a good story?

Well, I’d like to tell you that I disrupted a mugger and saved the day for a little old lady. So there!

Because to say that I was hiking in the woods and got my shoelace caught on a branch stepping over a downed tree and then landing on my face/head right on that tree would be very embarrassing. By the way, eye lids and eye brows bleed like crazy.

Back