Who do you cheer for?

They're 5th in team shooting percentage and 23rd in save percentage. If they get average goaltending the rest of the way they have a shot
I would like to see them make it buddy, just messin' with brother, good to see you back on the forum!

Les Habitants
It's referring to the French Canadian people in that region
Slight correction, there is no "s" at the end of habitant.
Les pronounced Lays
Habitant pronounced ab ee taun
The H in their logo stands for habitant, or Habs for short. They are actually called the Canadiens, not the Canadians. Ask me why a team with a nick name, needs another nick name, and then an abbreviation of that other nick name...
Answer: it's the Habs, so I actually don't give a flying fadoo! :rolleyes:
Screenshot_20230123-214137_Chrome.jpg

Les pronounced Lays
The H in their logo stands for habitant, or Habs for short. They are actually called the Canadiens, not the Canadians. Ask me why a team with a nick name, needs another nick name, and then an abbreviation of that other nick name...
View attachment 23972
If it's plural it should have an S at the end, you just don't say it cuz it's French. Otherwise it would be Le Habitant

Les pronounced Lays
View attachment 23972
Actually the H stands for hockey...
It predates the nickname Habs by atleast a few years. Digging deeper it appears that Tex Rickard who owned Madison Square Garden actually coined the nickname in 1924 telling a reporter that the H stood for Habitants. So the whole time their nickname stemmed from an inaccurate statement.
Screenshot_20230124-163903.jpg

Actually the H stands for hockey...
It predates the nickname Habs by atleast a few years. Digging deeper it appears that Tex Rickard who owned Madison Square Garden actually coined the nickname in 1924 telling a reporter that the H stood for Habitants. So the whole time their nickname stemmed from an inaccurate statement.View attachment 23981
I stand even more corrected, still hate em (strongly dislike actually), but you have to respect them, their 24 championships, and their storied history. Only in recent years did the Yankees surpass them with their 25th championship. Different sports of course mind you.

Yeah but they had an unfair advantage for many years. Only 6 teams for many of those years and no draft until 1963. Before that NHL teams were sponsoring minor and junior teams and through agreements with those leagues basically had exclusive rights to sign players on the sponsored teams. If I'm not incorrect the Habs basically controlled pretty much all of Quebec which is where many of the top players were coming out of in those days. The draft was created to allow teams equal opportunity to acquire star players. Not saying it's not impressive but to me it's not like what the Yankees have done.

After beating the Blues in St. Louis for the first time since like 2009 the Sabres have now won 4 straight and are just 3 points back of the final wildcard spot with 3 games in hand on the Caps. Let's Go Buffalo!
sabres-goal-buffalo-sabres.gif

Let's go Buffalo!
In other news the Toronto Maple Wonderfuls win again!
Screenshot_20230125-232019_NHL.jpg

So just saw on Twitter that a brewery in Minnesota makes a Jagr Czech pills
Screenshot_20230211-171239.jpg

I just think that's awesome and would love to try it. For those that don't know Jagr, Jaromir Jagr played for 9 different NHL teams over a lengthy career that spanned from age 18 to 45. His first and longest stint was in Pittsburgh where he spent 11 seasons and won 2 Stanley Cups. Not a Pens fan but came to respect him over the years. He is 2nd (though by a wiiiddee margin) in all-time scoring to Wayne Gretzky despite leaving the NHL at age 35 to play in the KHL (Russian based league) before returning at age 39. He had 2 seasons in his 40s with over 60 points which is just incredible. He's currently 50 and still playing (atleast part-time) for his hometown team (which he owns) in the Czech league. Just thought it was cool a brewery honoring an athlete that has no connection to their local area.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230211-171239.jpg
    Screenshot_20230211-171239.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 23
BTW, not to promote but the account that tweeted that is a podcast that is about both Hockey and Beer. I only listened a couple times because it tends to be mostly regional to Minnesota but I at one point was wanting to emulate the idea with Sabres coverage instead but had trouble locking down co-hosts and then you know, kids...

@SabreSteve
If your boys can put some points up with those games in hand they have, they may just make it to the dance!

2 games against Anaheim and San Jose was just what the doctor ordered to get out of a rut. I tell you that a bye week in hockey really doesn't help anyone. Not skating for 9 days it's a recipe for disaster.
I'm not expecting a ton at the deadline but I'd really like them to go after someone who is a good forechecker and can retrieve pucks. I'm really not a fan of dump and chase but the teams the Sabres really struggle against are the ones that are the best at defending against controlled zone entries. They need a way to counter if they're going to go anywhere

...and all is right with the world when the Toronto's beat the Montreal's!
Screenshot_20230219-090632_Maple Leafs.jpg

...and all is right with the world when the Toronto's beat the Montreal's!
View attachment 24293
You know I can't stand the Leafs but they're making the playoffs anyways and they have a lot of games against other teams in the wildcard chase. They need to go all in and then do some damage in the standings

Back