What's your next brew

Some of the videos and things I read indicate that may need to sit for a little while. It makes sense.
A Saison is the same way. If you let it sit for another 2-4 weeks after it is ready, it starts to get quite tasty.
Thanks for sharing that info. Saison is another beerstyle I have yet to try. I assumed it was more like an IPA. As I recall (without looking) it has a citrus(lemon?) element. If I am correct and it has fruit in the taste at least and that is in common with Dubbel (dried darker fruits, somewhat fruitcakey effect) then I follow why a similar approach to delaying might be recommended. There is certainly something at least subtly different about Dubbel to other beerstyles I have made so far.

Currantly ;) Day 10. OG: 1.062 (right at the lowest end of the original gravity range for this beer style). Dry hopped on Day 6, SG already down to 1.010 and well within finishing range. Day 8: 1.009. Day 10: 1.008. Lovely fermenting out pace, wouldn't be at all surprised if it is still moving on Day 12 as lowest expected FG I have available to me is 1.006. Temperature of beer has also dropped very slowly from 23C to 19C over 10 days. Warmer/heavier humid October than usual here but expecting the usual biggest cold snap of the year anytime between now and early November. In short I may have got dead lucky with the timing of this brew. Can't taste fruit in there yet though.

As things stand I should be able to sit on the Dubbel at least several days from arriving at FG. I am brewing in a plastic fermenting bin though so not sure I should risk a beer much longer than that. I accidentally forgot one some years ago and it was only one of two times I've had a brew go off in 40 years (separation/oily film on top with an unpleasant stagnating type smell) although that wasn't dry hopped. I primed and kegged but that failed.

Next brew: Dark Mild; not scheduled until first/second week of November so have plenty of time available and will just keep checking.

Inspired by the Q4 brew I put together an American Amber recipe. Slightly divergent from the community recipe of course :rolleyes: i have a hard time keeping a recipe as in

I also have a LOT of German/Czech hops to use; Spalt, Saaz, Mittelfruh, and Tettnanger. Maybe a series of lagers with light Munich and each hop in equal amounts in each batch? Compare and contrast some noble hops? I don't brew a lot of German lagers so maybe I'll steal some of @Josh Hughes's recipes lol

Thanks for sharing that info. Saison is another beerstyle I have yet to try. I assumed it was more like an IPA. As I recall (without looking) it has a citrus(lemon?) element. If I am correct and it has fruit in the taste at least and that is in common with Dubbel (dried darker fruits, somewhat fruitcakey effect) then I follow why a similar approach to delaying might be recommended. There is certainly something at least subtly different about Dubbel to other beerstyles I have made so far.

Currantly ;) Day 10. OG: 1.062 (right at the lowest end of the original gravity range for this beer style). Dry hopped on Day 6, SG already down to 1.010 and well within finishing range. Day 8: 1.009. Day 10: 1.008. Lovely fermenting out pace, wouldn't be at all surprised if it is still moving on Day 12 as lowest expected FG I have available to me is 1.006. Temperature of beer has also dropped very slowly from 23C to 19C over 10 days. Warmer/heavier humid October than usual here but expecting the usual biggest cold snap of the year anytime between now and early November. In short I may have got dead lucky with the timing of this brew. Can't taste fruit in there yet though.

As things stand I should be able to sit on the Dubbel at least several days from arriving at FG. I am brewing in a plastic fermenting bin though so not sure I should risk a beer much longer than that. I accidentally forgot one some years ago and it was only one of two times I've had a brew go off in 40 years (separation/oily film on top with an unpleasant stagnating type smell) although that wasn't dry hopped. I primed and kegged but that failed.

Next brew: Dark Mild; not scheduled until first/second week of November so have plenty of time available and will just keep checking.
When I spoke of sitting on it, I meant in the bottle or keg. Saisons will change after bottled. You can do all kinds of things with those: add fruit, go more sour on the Farmhouse end, go funky as hell, or do s nice, clean French Saison. A couple of places in town have made a Grisette. I love those.
1.006 would be awesome if you get it. I am going to try to push the low end of the OG when I do mine. I want more of the character than the alcohol. Thanks for the update.

When I spoke of sitting on it, I meant in the bottle or keg. Saisons will change after bottled. You can do all kinds of things with those: add fruit, go more sour on the Farmhouse end, go funky as hell, or do s nice, clean French Saison. A couple of places in town have made a Grisette. I love those.
1.006 would be awesome if you get it. I am going to try to push the low end of the OG when I do mine. I want more of the character than the alcohol. Thanks for the update.
My mistake, thanks for clarifying that. Sounds like there is a lot of flexibility where you could take that. Very interesting indeed.

I really need to start brewing something!
So this weekend I'll get my a@#se into gear.
Gotta use kveik voss
1st one up : ginger concoction, limited weight so I can handle it. Using ginger, sugar, lime, Voss, yeast nutrients. I dont think ginger & hop works well, so it's gonna be a hop(e)less brew

Next: as soon as I can find space for a 2nd fermenter: simple cider

Soda water as soon as keg is finished

And there after I should be able to get beers going again.
Voss ones in coolerbox and Belgians (s33, t58, belle saison & M31 and M47) in ferm fridge

I really need to start brewing something!
So this weekend I'll get my a@#se into gear.
Gotta use kveik voss
1st one up : ginger concoction, limited weight so I can handle it. Using ginger, sugar, lime, Voss, yeast nutrients. I dont think ginger & hop works well, so it's gonna be a hop(e)less brew

Next: as soon as I can find space for a 2nd fermenter: simple cider

Soda water as soon as keg is finished

And there after I should be able to get beers going again.
Voss ones in coolerbox and Belgians (s33, t58, belle saison & M31 and M47) in ferm fridge
Damn right you need to get going! Otherwise we might have to be <brrr> sober...

I like the plan. If weight is troubling, ask for help? I'm sure you know someone.

Obviously I could ask for help, but I'm just a little stubborn ;)

Anyway
It's a go
4 litre water, 800 gr sugar
Then added just before boil: 90 gr ginger, 5 cut limes, 4 gr yeast food.
It's now chilling for a bit
4 litre cold water to be added in a bit and some sprinkles of Voss kveik.
Fingers crossed

feedback on this one? looking for it to be a nice dark stout with some heat and smoke.

Ass Fire stout
Sweet Stout
5.5% / 13.8 °P
Recipe by
Bent Nail

Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 1.014

Malts (10 lb 5.4 oz)
5 lb (48.4%) — Maris Otter Pale Malt, Maris Otter — Grain — 3 °L
1 lb (9.7%) — Peat Smoked Malt — Grain — 2.6 °L
12 oz (7.3%) — Briess Caramel Malt 120L — Grain — 120 °L
12 oz (7.3%) — Avangard Munich Malt, Germany — Grain — 7.6 °L
12 oz (7.3%) — Briess Chocolate — Grain — 258.9 °L
9 oz (5.4%) — Briess Barley, Flaked — Grain — 1.8 °L
9 oz (5.4%) — Weyermann Carared — Grain — 18.3 °L
9 oz (5.4%) — Briess Oats, Flaked — Grain — 1.6 °L
6.4 oz (3.9%) — Briess Blackprinz Malt — Grain — 500 °L

Hops (2.25 oz)
1.5 oz (21 IBU) — Saaz 3.8% — Boil — 60 min
0.75 oz
(11 IBU) — East Kent Goldings (EKG) 5% — Boil — 30 min

2 oz
— habanero peppers — Primary
8 oz
— Chipotle Peppers — Primary
4 oz
— Cacao Nibs — Primary

Yeast
1 pkg — Wyeast Labs 1098 British Ale Yeast 75%
decided to delete the habineros and just do the chipotle. ground it up in the blender and the dust nearly killed me, lol.
will see in a week.

Take photos of that process!
Unfortunately, I did not take many pictures, but I can describe it.
There were 8 holes dug against the stem wall, 2 in the NW corner and the remainder along the west side. The footing was broken away, then a steel piling with a helical drive point was rotationally driven down using a Bobcat excavator. When a minimum depth of 5 feet was reached below the bottom of the stem wall, and a minimum pressure of 1500 psi, the piling was set. Atop the piling was placed a jack driven lift plate, with 4 of those getting an extra 2 foot wide angle iron. The jacks were cranked to lift the NW corner ~1.75 inches, with minor lifts of 1/4 to 1/2 inch for the rest. Guaranteed to maintain the lift and level.
Finally, new treated cedar piers replaced the old untreated piers, and the new piers are actually adjustable. So our floors are much more stable now. I had to partially dismantle about 40 feet of deck for them to have access - that was a PITA, but it was a good learning experience. I just got everything reassembled yesterday afternoon, and I know well that I am not the young man I used to be.
71919156938__BEA8A4BA-6F04-4EAD-9A92-9104ECF2609B.jpeg
71927125702__5628B245-6AE2-490B-BDB6-93612D3F277F.jpeg
71927127764__5073F104-E692-447B-B24E-6562D5C12E21.jpeg

Wow Herm that looks like a bugger of a Job! Bet your glad that one's behind you :oops:
Yes sir, and about $20000 lighter in our home savings account.
At least now I can focus on thinking about making more homebrew, though at the moment I don’t know what to brew next. Things are busy around here. Today I bottled Smooth Stout, my Wheat Ale should be ready to bottle too. Maybe tomorrow? We are going to the coast to visit some friends for a few days mid-week, then when we get back some friends are coming over for the weekend from Bend, OR. Busy indeed.

At least now I can focus on thinking about making more homebrew, though at the moment I don’t know what to brew next. Things are busy around here. Today I bottled Smooth Stout, my Wheat Ale should be ready to bottle too. Maybe tomorrow? We are going to the coast to visit some friends for a few days mid-week, then when we get back some friends are coming over for the weekend from Bend, OR. Busy indeed.
$20k, wow!

I would say you need a beer to break that in, lol. maybe a "decked out pale ale"

Isn't it an Amber Ale that's your staple beer?

If so brew that.

Back