What's your next brew

Attachments

• 52x8po.jpg
    52x8po.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 73
This weekend I'll be brewing up Bob Toot's cream ale! I splurged on some 5 gallon all grain ingredient kits, and I'm gonna start cruising through them 2.5 gallons at a time. I was going to use US05, but I could be swayed into trying a liquid yeast for the first time if anyone has any cream ale yeast recommendations :D My LHBS carries Wyeast and Gigayeast liquid yeasts. Cheers!

Last edited:
This weekend I'll be brewing up Bob Toot's cream ale! I splurged on some 5 gallon all grain ingredient kits, and I'm gonna start cruising through them 2.5 gallons at a time. I was going to use US05, but I could be swayed into trying a liquid yeast for the first time if anyone has any cream ale yeast recommendations :D My LHBS carries Wyeast and Gigayeast liquid yeasts. Cheers!
Just curious as to your reason for wanting to use liquid yeast?

Just curious as to your reason for wanting to use liquid yeast?
Because all the cool kids are doing it, duh :cool:

Haha jk. I love dry yeast, but it's always being compared to liquid so I figure liquid is still standard for most people. The variety of yeast options is greater, I've heard more favorable things about pitching rates and lag times with liquid, and because I'm on that never-ending quest to make better beer. It's also new to me, and I'm all about learning new things :) Also my LHBS carries only 4 kinds of dried yeast, but they seem to have the entire catalog from Wyeast.

Haha jk. I love dry yeast, but it's always being compared to liquid so I figure liquid is still standard for most people. The variety of yeast options is greater, I've heard more favorable things about pitching rates and lag times with liquid, and because I'm on that never-ending quest to make better beer. It's also new to me, and I'm all about learning new things :) Also my LHBS carries only 4 kinds of dried yeast, but they seem to have the entire catalog from Wyeast.
Definitely explore your options. Wyeast makes a lot of great yeasts.
One tip though, make sure you check the date on the package before you buy one. Don't assume the LHBS is keeping them up to date.

Definitely explore your options. Wyeast makes a lot of great yeasts.
One tip though, make sure you check the date on the package before you buy one. Don't assume the LHBS is keeping them up to date.
My old lhbs (Phantom Ales) segregates their liquid yeast that is near expiration, and sells it at a discount. Even so, I have not used liquid yeast, except for my own harvested slurry.

Knock yourself out, and give it a try, but....

In my opinion the only real advantage of using liquid yeast is better variety.
Your LHBS should be stepping up their game with dry yeast, it will save them $$$$ in tossing stale dated yeast

Here is why I believe dry yeast is superior to liquid.
- it is 1/2 the price
- it has a far, far longer shelf life
- it is 1/2 the price
- there is no need to aerate wort of 1060 or less with dry yeast (I have gone as high as 1063 with no issues)
- it is 1/2 the price
- there is no need to spend time doing a starter, or any of the cleaning and sanitation tasks that go along with that
- did I mention that it is 1/2 the price
- there is really no need to worry about pitch rates with dry yeast
- there is also no need to rehydrate dry yeast, cut the package and sprinkle while transferring wort

I probably haven't used liquid yeast for over a year. When I first started using it, I did so because I wanted to be "a real" brewer.
For me, liquid yeast did not make better beer, it just gave me a lot more tasks to perform, and a lot more cleaning to do.

Knock yourself out, and give it a try, but....

In my opinion the only real advantage of using liquid yeast is better variety.
Your LHBS should be stepping up their game with dry yeast, it will save them $$$$ in tossing stale dated yeast

Here is why I believe dry yeast is superior to liquid.
- it is 1/2 the price
- it has a far, far longer shelf life
- it is 1/2 the price
- there is no need to aerate wort of 1060 or less with dry yeast (I have gone as high as 1063 with no issues)
- it is 1/2 the price
- there is no need to spend time doing a starter, or any of the cleaning and sanitation tasks that go along with that
- did I mention that it is 1/2 the price
- there is really no need to worry about pitch rates with dry yeast
- there is also no need to rehydrate dry yeast, cut the package and sprinkle while transferring wort

I probably haven't used liquid yeast for over a year. When I first started using it, I did so because I wanted to be "a real" brewer.
For me, liquid yeast did not make better beer, it just gave me a lot more tasks to perform, and a lot more cleaning to do.
I am an avid fan of dry yeast and have only ever used dried yeast. I thought it sounded fun man :)

I have no preference by and large, I just use whatever I feel like.

@Sunfire96 i tried liquid since I didn’t see a Fullers, or reportedly Fullers in dry. I’ve made 3 batches with it and those beers turned out great. I bought another pouch to use soon.

my next brew is a Dunkel then a weak Belgian ale to test viability of a packet of S33 for making the next community beer.

Just be sure to aerate or oxygenate with liquid yeast. Dont need to go wild though.

Back