What's your next brew

Leaning toward trying my hand at a dry hop batch of some sort. The Kona Brewing Big Wave is a tasty beer. But, I had a VERY mild case of COVID (all clear now, including negative test). The only really annoying symptom I had was loss of smell and taste. Now that i've got it back, it seems things taste differently to me. Not worse or better in most cases, just different. Maybe just a few days of sensory deprivation was enough to confuse my taster/smeller. But, nonetheless, I want to try my hand at a Big Wave clone, but would appreciate any suggestions for another to go with it. I don't want to run out of Rapier Wit and start dipping into the Chocolate Oatmeal Stout I just bottled before it has a chance to age a bit.

Leaning toward trying my hand at a dry hop batch of some sort. The Kona Brewing Big Wave is a tasty beer. But, I had a VERY mild case of COVID (all clear now, including negative test). The only really annoying symptom I had was loss of smell and taste. Now that i've got it back, it seems things taste differently to me. Not worse or better in most cases, just different. Maybe just a few days of sensory deprivation was enough to confuse my taster/smeller. But, nonetheless, I want to try my hand at a Big Wave clone, but would appreciate any suggestions for another to go with it. I don't want to run out of Rapier Wit and start dipping into the Chocolate Oatmeal Stout I just bottled before it has a chance to age a bit.
I think @Sunfire96 might be your Gal for the job I'm sure it was her who made some could be wrong though.

I think @Sunfire96 might be your Gal for the job I'm sure it was her who made some could be wrong though.
I haven't, but I do have a saved clone recipe to brew someday. Grain bill is 90% 2 row, 10% C20, hops are Galaxy and Citra, and yeast is US05 or some other Chico strain. Cheers!

I haven't, but I do have a saved clone recipe to brew someday. Grain bill is 90% 2 row, 10% C20, hops are Galaxy and Citra, and yeast is US05 or some other Chico strain. Cheers!
I'm thinking the Citra goes in for bittering, and the Galaxy for the dry hop? Or is that backward?

I’ll bet on Galaxy for bittering, and Citra for dry hopping, but I could be wrong.

I'm thinking the Citra goes in for bittering, and the Galaxy for the dry hop? Or is that backward?
I agree with Herm, I think Galaxy is the bittering and then Citra is a late boil addition and possibly a dry hop. Should be around 20-25 IBUS

I'm thinking about doing an Autumn Pale Ale next, something in a similar vein to the Hopzeit Autumn IPA that Deschutes used to do. Half Munich, half pale malt, some aromatic malt, and Cascade and maybe Liberty or Mt Hood hops (something domestic but noble in heritage). Imagine a marzen and an American pale ale hybrid. Kolsch yeast would probably be most appropriate, but I also want to try out BRY-97...

Not meant to be a clone exactly, but I have a Blonde/Golden Ale conditioning in a keg right now that I bittered with Galaxy and used both Galaxy and Citra as late additions. My grain bill was a bit different (basically 2-Row and about 15% Vienna) but the hops were a definite inspiration from Big Wave. I guessed that *IF* they dry hopped that beer it would be minimal, so I just leaned on late boil additions only. FWIW, I think Galaxy is a great late addition hops. I'll do a side-by-side with Kona in the "What are you drinking now" thread in a few weeks when my beer is ready.

Not meant to be a clone exactly, but I have a Blonde/Golden Ale conditioning in a keg right now that I bittered with Galaxy and used both Galaxy and Citra as late additions. My grain bill was a bit different (basically 2-Row and about 15% Vienna) but the hops were a definite inspiration from Big Wave. I guessed that *IF* they dry hopped that beer it would be minimal, so I just leaned on late boil additions only. FWIW, I think Galaxy is a great late addition hops. I'll do a side-by-side with Kona in the "What are you drinking now" thread in a few weeks when my beer is ready.
@RoadRoach the clone recipe on homebrewing.org does not include a dry hop addition just so you know :)

I agree its be a shame to boil Galaxy for 60mins.
I also think in a hoppy pale it's fine to drop the boil to 30mins then use your character hops as bittering as well then you'll still get a smidge of flavour from em.

I'd bitter with magnum or warrior and let the Galaxy Citra play an starring role at the end.
Galaxy is one of them hops I've found that can go grassy on me in the Dry hop just a heads up is all.

I agree its be a shame to boil Galaxy for 60mins.
I also think in a hoppy pale it's fine to drop the boil to 30mins then use your character hops as bittering as well then you'll still get a smidge of flavour from em.

I'd bitter with magnum or warrior and let the Galaxy Citra play an starring role at the end.
Galaxy is one of them hops I've found that can go grassy on me in the Dry hop just a heads up is all.
This reiterates what my distributor told me. Said bittering with Galaxy was a waste of money. That's probably why I had it backward. I really need to learn more about hops and hopping. :confused:

Attachments

• Sierrra Nevada Pale Ale_10.13.2021.pdf
    105.2 KB · Views: 37
This reiterates what my distributor told me. Said bittering with Galaxy was a waste of money. That's probably why I had it backward. I really need to learn more about hops and hopping. :confused:
I typically use Magnum for bittering additions, it is cheap and gives a "clean" bitterness. Save the spendy hops for late, or dry additions.

Changing my mind last minute about my next brew (par for the course around here :D). Now that I've got all these hops to get through I've decided to stick with the American Wheat with Azacca, but instead of Wayner's Pale ale I'm going to do a straight forward American Pale with Cluster for bittering and Azacca for aroma and dry hop. Pretty much the SNPA clone recipe as far as grain bill goes, but I'm using C40 instead of C60 and 75% MO and 25% Pilsen malt extract.

Changing my mind last minute about my next brew (par for the course around here :D). Now that I've got all these hops to get through I've decided to stick with the American Wheat with Azacca, but instead of Wayner's Pale ale I'm going to do a straight forward American Pale with Cluster for bittering and Azacca for aroma and dry hop. Pretty much the SNPA clone recipe as far as grain bill goes, but I'm using C40 instead of C60 and 75% MO and 25% Pilsen malt extract.
I’ll be following the progress of that AW. I really like that style. :)

You can also create a very good amber with the snpa recipe by adding roasted barley and chocolate malt and fuggle hops

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1209254/nice-amber

Brewing next Saturday. It will be the Zoom meeting and my birthday weekend. Brewing either my Tolbooth 80 Shilling or a Fullers ESB “clone” I have liquid yeast for both so I want to get one brewed. I got SUPER fresh yeast based on the date from Atlantic Brew supply. Like 5 months from expiration date fresh.
After those two my Dunkel

Right now I have IPA of the 3 C’s in bottles, and Herm’s Amber Ale ready to bottle. I like to alternate from lighter to more colored beers, so it looks like HAPA (Herm’s Azacca Pale Ale) will be up next. After that, I think it will finally be time to brew another batch of Janet’s Brown Ale, this time using something other than Kveik.

Last edited:

Back