What's your next brew

feedback on this one? looking for it to be a nice dark stout with some heat and smoke.

Ass Fire stout
Sweet Stout
5.5% / 13.8 °P
Recipe by
Bent Nail

Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 1.014

Malts (10 lb 5.4 oz)
5 lb (48.4%) — Maris Otter Pale Malt, Maris Otter — Grain — 3 °L
1 lb (9.7%) — Peat Smoked Malt — Grain — 2.6 °L
12 oz (7.3%) — Briess Caramel Malt 120L — Grain — 120 °L
12 oz (7.3%) — Avangard Munich Malt, Germany — Grain — 7.6 °L
12 oz (7.3%) — Briess Chocolate — Grain — 258.9 °L
9 oz (5.4%) — Briess Barley, Flaked — Grain — 1.8 °L
9 oz (5.4%) — Weyermann Carared — Grain — 18.3 °L
9 oz (5.4%) — Briess Oats, Flaked — Grain — 1.6 °L
6.4 oz (3.9%) — Briess Blackprinz Malt — Grain — 500 °L

Hops (2.25 oz)
1.5 oz (21 IBU) — Saaz 3.8% — Boil — 60 min
0.75 oz
(11 IBU) — East Kent Goldings (EKG) 5% — Boil — 30 min

2 oz — habanero peppers — Primary
8 oz
— Chipotle Peppers — Primary
4 oz
— Cacao Nibs — Primary

Yeast
1 pkg — Wyeast Labs 1098 British Ale Yeast 75%

feedback on this one? looking for it to be a nice dark stout with some heat and smoke.

Ass Fire stout
Sweet Stout
5.5% / 13.8 °P
Recipe by
Bent Nail

Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 1.014

Malts (10 lb 5.4 oz)
5 lb (48.4%) — Maris Otter Pale Malt, Maris Otter — Grain — 3 °L
1 lb (9.7%) — Peat Smoked Malt — Grain — 2.6 °L
12 oz (7.3%) — Briess Caramel Malt 120L — Grain — 120 °L
12 oz (7.3%) — Avangard Munich Malt, Germany — Grain — 7.6 °L
12 oz (7.3%) — Briess Chocolate — Grain — 258.9 °L
9 oz (5.4%) — Briess Barley, Flaked — Grain — 1.8 °L
9 oz (5.4%) — Weyermann Carared — Grain — 18.3 °L
9 oz (5.4%) — Briess Oats, Flaked — Grain — 1.6 °L
6.4 oz (3.9%) — Briess Blackprinz Malt — Grain — 500 °L

Hops (2.25 oz)
1.5 oz (21 IBU) — Saaz 3.8% — Boil — 60 min
0.75 oz
(11 IBU) — East Kent Goldings (EKG) 5% — Boil — 30 min

2 oz — habanero peppers — Primary
8 oz
— Chipotle Peppers — Primary
4 oz
— Cacao Nibs — Primary

Yeast
1 pkg — Wyeast Labs 1098 British Ale Yeast 75%
If looks good. If I were brewing it, I'd swap out the flaked barley with some kind of wheat, maybe chocolate, or perhaps just light. I'd also split the saaz with half at 30, and the goldings at 10 or 15. At 30 or more minutes all you get is bittering imho. And possibly an ounce or two of ground coffee in primary.

I've never used Avangard, what's that like? Just plain Munich?

Even with no changes at all, I think you'll get a great mouth feel along with a detectable but not objectionable light smoke, and a similar level of heat.

If looks good. If I were brewing it, I'd swap out the flaked barley with some kind of wheat, maybe chocolate, or perhaps just light. I'd also split the saaz with half at 30, and the goldings at 10 or 15. At 30 or more minutes all you get is bittering imho. And possibly an ounce or two of ground coffee in primary.

I've never used Avangard, what's that like? Just plain Munich?

Even with no changes at all, I think you'll get a great mouth feel along with a detectable but not objectionable light smoke, and a similar level of heat.

the barley is mostly for mouthfeel. its just an edit from my basic stout. very popular with family and friends.

ya, it is just a basic munich. nice caramel flavor.

Last edited:
I think I will do an ESB next. Only ever brewed one, but it was better than I expected, much better. It is David Heaths recipe. I only hope that it turns out as good this time. Haven't transposed the recipe to partial mash yet. Here is a pic of it. Honest beer at 5%, lovely malt character, hop bitterness and flavor were spot on.
20210319_164343.jpg
20210324_193600.jpg

I think I will do an ESB next. Only ever brewed one, but it was better than I expected, much better. It is David Heaths recipe. I only hope that it turns out as good this time. Haven't transposed the recipe to partial mash yet. Here is a pic of it. Honest beer at 5%, lovely malt character, hop bitterness and flavor were spot on.
View attachment 26533 View attachment 26535
That looks delicious!

standard sour recipe, added 2 more lbs of lactose(6#s instead of 4). 84#s of aseptic peach puree and 250ml of Vanilla. ill edit in a link to the recipe. I think its actually pretty damn good(carbing it right now). The apricot pale ale is really good.

added my base sour recipe. i flip between 4 and 6#s of lactose depending on what the fruit/goal is.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/1383335
Are you pitching both yeast together?
Interesting combo.

View attachment 26533 View attachment 26535
Looks freaking tasty!
Bells inspired IPA with a buddy next Friday. Wish me luck as beer will be drank and I usually do not brew that way

I teach history not English. We say drank in the past tense or as a verb in KY :)
Ah! History is the study of the past! So you meant Dronk. (Or is it dronkted? Dunno. )

Ok, now waitaminithere: you're not dronk yet. That means you can stay sober? Now, I can't say I recommend it, but...

Anyway. In all seriousness, you know the process so well that you could be significantly impaired and still get through it successfully. Don't sweat it, it'll turn out fine. Good luck.

Last edited:
I think Josh is just defining a future event knowing full well he who brews with a buddy will Drink . So foresing the Future he will have Drank and possibly become Drunk :confused:

Back