What's your next brew

I think Josh is just defining a future event knowing full well he who brews with a buddy will Drink . So foresing the Future he will have Drank and possibly become Drunk :confused:
Or he is already drunk from what he drank from the event for which has not happened yet

Ah, to drink or not to drank that is the question. Tis it better to have dronk and become drunk than never have imbibed at all?

I think I will do an ESB next. Only ever brewed one, but it was better than I expected, much better. It is David Heaths recipe. I only hope that it turns out as good this time. Haven't transposed the recipe to partial mash yet. Here is a pic of it. Honest beer at 5%, lovely malt character, hop bitterness and flavor were spot on.
View attachment 26533 View attachment 26535

David Heath's ESB is what my Bitter Barbarian is based off of. So far my best version was with Imperial A09 Pub yeast.

Are you pitching both yeast together?
Interesting combo.

Not at the same time, I pitch the Sour Pitch at around 103F and then let it do its thing. I found the ph to drop down pretty low pretty quickly <2 days down to 3.5. once its down that low, I will pitch Voss and possibly heat it back up using my Glycol system.

Thinking about maybe letting it sour for a few days and then pitching Nova Lager on this next batch. ( i will have a bunch of nova from a double batch of my golden lager sitting around). Might be cool.

This next Sour is gonna be Passionfruit, Tangerine, lime, and a small amount of Vanilla. It is inspired by the hurricane drink.

Not at the same time, I pitch the Sour Pitch at around 103F and then let it do its thing. I found the ph to drop down pretty low pretty quickly <2 days down to 3.5. once its down that low, I will pitch Voss and possibly heat it back up using my Glycol system.

Thinking about maybe letting it sour for a few days and then pitching Nova Lager on this next batch. ( i will have a bunch of nova from a double batch of my golden lager sitting around). Might be cool.

This next Sour is gonna be Passionfruit, Tangerine, lime, and a small amount of Vanilla. It is inspired by the hurricane drink.
NOVA is nice and Clean even at ale temps it lets the flavours of the ingredients shine through.
It can't produce sulphur and also inhibits the DMS precursors.
A magical yeast that also clears very well.

David Heath's ESB is what my Bitter Barbarian is based off of. So far my best version was with Imperial A09 Pub yeast.
I used S-04, will definitely use it again.
Last brew was on tap in 6 days this one definitely be more like a few weeks. Will cold crash it for at least a week.

I used S-04, will definitely use it again.
Last brew was on tap in 6 days this one definitely be more like a few weeks. Will cold crash it for at least a week.
Hunh. The third quarter Brew that I have in the fermenter was done with S04, and it's at final gravity in less than 48 hours. I'm going to let it rest for a while, but yeah, that yeast really rips through it.

Hunh. The third quarter Brew that I have in the fermenter was done with S04, and it's at final gravity in less than 48 hours. I'm going to let it rest for a while, but yeah, that yeast really rips through it.
What temperature did you ferment at?
I don't recall 100%, but I probably left it in the for a week and a half before cold crashing it.

S-04 is VERY aggressive. It's the one yeast that will reliably make my Rapier Wit try to climb out through the air lock on the second day. Ruined three of the double-bubblers before I decided to just go with the floating thimbles. S-05 can be pretty quick too, at what I call elevated (>75F) temperature.

I don't recall 100%, but I probably left it in the for a week and a half before cold crashing it.
70 F (21C). I raised it to 72 just as it hit FG, a little later than I'd have liked.

Pretty much, that's what I do with every brew. One of the things that slows me down, I reckon, is that I have only one fermentation chamber, so once one goes in, I gotta wait until it's packaged before I can brew again, or do one that I can hide in the closet downstairs without temperature control. S-04, S-05, and S-33 all seem to be fairly temperature tolerant, and I haven't noticed any difference in flavors whether I run them in the chamber or just in the closet. Most times I do 10 days minimum, 14 days regularly, and have ranged up to 28 days because of work. That was a nice brew, and VERY clean. It was a dark stout, so hard to tell how clean, but almost zero residue in the bottles.

Wow!

70 F (21C). I raised it to 72 just as it hit FG, a little later than I'd have liked.
If I recall, knowing that it can be pretty aggressive at higher Temps (from experience) I believe I ran it around 18C. I don't have any electronic devices, so U would have just ignored it for at least a week and a half, more likely twoo weeks.

I think I will do an ESB next. Only ever brewed one, but it was better than I expected, much better. It is David Heaths recipe. I only hope that it turns out as good this time. Haven't transposed the recipe to partial mash yet. Here is a pic of it. Honest beer at 5%, lovely malt character, hop bitterness and flavor were spot on.
View attachment 26533 View attachment 26535
That is pretty.

I don't measure doing fermentation. I just look at it. S-04 does drop very quickly at around 67.

I don't measure doing fermentation. I just look at it. S-04 does drop very quickly at around 67.
The tilt makes it easier to monitor fermentation, while the stainless steel fermenter makes it harder...

Gonna brew a SMASH this afternoon. Calling it Tractor Shed SMaSH because that's where I'll be brewing it and I'm not very imaginative with beer names. First SMASH for me. Trying to decide whether to use K-97, S-33, or Abbaye yeast in it. I was targeting an American Pale Ale, but don't have the proper yeast (S-05?). I've never used the K-97 before, so something tells me try that. Everything except the color looks good on the calculators for the style, but I'm thinking that's probably going to work itself out. I normally see slightly darker colors than the recipe calculator predicts, particularly with extract brews. But this one's all grain. KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) beer as I like to call it. Never tried Simcoe hops either. Here's to experimenting! This one has a full ounce of Simcoe in it, so hope I like it. Looks a bit bitey at 42 IBU, but pretty malty at FG of 1.011, too. Here's hoping that balance is right to my taste buds.

Back