What's your next brew

gonna try a vienna lager

users%2FEw11UhSofsVqK33NYQw9FSrMtyn1%2Fimages%2Frecipes%2F4KMQ5Mw0DRP9WZGtKBQ33GXU0RSK9U%2Fimg%40640-4KMQ5Mw0DRP9WZGtKBQ33GXU0RSK9U.jpeg

OG Vienna
Vienna Lager

5.1% / 12.5 °P

Recipe by

Eisenbräu

All Grain

Malts (10 lb 4 oz)
10 lb (97.6%) — Proximity Vienna — Grain — 3.1 °L

4 oz (2.4%) — Weyermann Chocolate Rye — Grain — 181.4 °L

Hops (2.25 oz)
1.75 oz (21 IBU) — Tettnang 3.2% — First Wort

0.5 oz (2 IBU) — Tettnang 3.2% — Boil — 10 min

Miscs
2.9 g — Baking Soda (NaHCO3) — Mash

2.4 g — Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) — Mash

2.4 g — Canning Salt (NaCl) — Mash

5.3 g — Epsom Salt (MgSO4) — Mash

8.7 g — Gypsum (CaSO4) — Mash

5 ml — Lactic Acid 88% — Mash

Yeast
1 pkg — White Labs WLP830 German Lager 79%

3 L starter
11.53 oz DME / 14.11 oz LME

509 billion yeast cells
1.92 million cells / ml / °P

Carbonation: 2.8 CO2-vol
Baking soda and lactic acid?
Don't they cancel each other out?

I will be making Use ‘Em Up Amber Ale, a one off that will make use of little bits of hop pellets left over from other projects. Everything is on hand, I just need to brew it.
My wife made the decision that I am going to ski this winter, so my mind has been distracted with trying to equip myself, as my old boots blew up when I tried them on. New boots require new bindings, so it looks like new skis are in my future, too. She bought me a lift ticket for March 9, so I’m getting ready. It has been 12 years since I last stepped into some skis.

I will be making Use ‘Em Up Amber Ale, a one off that will make use of little bits of hop pellets left over from other projects. Everything is on hand, I just need to brew it.
My wife made the decision that I am going to ski this winter, so my mind has been distracted with trying to equip myself, as my old boots blew up when I tried them on. New boots require new bindings, so it looks like new skis are in my future, too. She bought me a lift ticket for March 9, so I’m getting ready. It has been 12 years since I last stepped into some skis.

Brew your beer before you go skiing? Good luck!!

Still waiting on the Irish stout kit to arrive, so in the meantime playing around with some other recipes. I've got quite a few hops on hand, so I'm thinking a series of golden ales using a single hop in the whirlpool to compare/contrast these new hop varieties. I'll skip a dry hop addition to make my life easier. Still deciding between BRY97 or S04 as the yeast for all of these

But I also had a dream about Baltic Porter last night, so maybe I need to make one of those again. Bottle it and let it age until the winter...

You got nice dreams :p

My fermenter is free, so I'm going for wheat with hallertau blanc.
After that, my De Koninck-ish as I'm about to open the last bottle and I really enjoy it.
I need to explore the option of a bigger batch like that one, but I lack the temp control.
So I need to wait for the climate to cooperate....

Still waiting on the Irish stout kit to arrive, so in the meantime playing around with some other recipes. I've got quite a few hops on hand, so I'm thinking a series of golden ales using a single hop in the whirlpool to compare/contrast these new hop varieties. I'll skip a dry hop addition to make my life easier. Still deciding between BRY97 or S04 as the yeast for all of these

But I also had a dream about Baltic Porter last night, so maybe I need to make one of those again. Bottle it and let it age until the winter...
Or some single hop Pale Ales with S-05:)
We have somebody in town that does those during the summer, and they really helped me deciding what hops I liked and disliked. I just like those beers anyway. Hoppy, light, and 5%, how can you go wrong? Hops are kind of hard to hide when all you are using is American 2 Row and a small amount of Crystal 40.

I just realised that my fermenter is free, but my fermentation fridge is not :(

Only skiing I've ever done was water skiing.
Better correct that: only skiing I tried was .....
Never got out of the water :(
Better I stick with snorkling, scuba diving and brewing
Likewise with the water skiing attempt. Smith Lake is one of the larger water sources for Metro Birmingham. When I was in college, my roomie’s family invited me to go skiing with them on July 4th weekend. They all told me “if you fall, let go.” Made perfect sense to my above average intelligence, and my brain procssed the instructions correctly., and I figured I should be able to comply with simple instructions. Well, sometimes instinct is a powerful contributor to emergency reaction. I did very well getting up on the skis, so well in fact that I usually launched completely out of the water, mostly because I only weighed about 145 pounds at the time, and I was being taught behind a boat with nearly 300 HP. This usually resulted in‘toeing’ the skis into the water, which led to horrible belly flops, and a death grip on the rope handle which subsequently turned me into a combination submarine/water filter as I flooded all ballast chambers through my nose. Brita water filters were unheard of in the 70’s, but I’m sure someone was watching my flow-through process which became the fundamental design for Brita. Only when the water drag overcame the strength in my hands would the rope handle come out. They finally gave up trying to teach me to ski, reasoning that it would look bad if they drowned me on a holiday weekend, and had to call my parents to tell them.

Oh, and don’t even ask how many times I lost my swim trunks.

What yeast are you gonna use in the stout? Is it going to be a bitter stout or malty?

Back