What's your next brew

It's a beer fit for a celebration congratulations on such a fine looking bevvy I hope it tastes as good as it looks!
Thanks
Tastes absolutely great. Not like a commercial pils, but like a well done, solid, traditional pils from a small brewery, which is just what I am aiming for. The fact that it turned out really clear is even a bonus.

This.

Picked up the ingredients today. Need to get the stout bottled (this coming weekend, maybe) and empty the fermenter before I can. Used @Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews "3 Day Weekend" as a pattern, and swapped up a few things (nearly everything now?). Experimenting with different things, lots of different things in this. Pretty sure the previous brew was 2-Row Rahr, this one 6-Row. Theoretically, it should help with the corn because it's higher enzymes and should help break down the corn starch a little better.

Switched from Warrior to Magnum for bittering, then added some Hallertau for aroma/flavor. Instead of US-05, gonna try S-33 on it (because I have several packets) which should emphasize the corriander a little. Really don't taste the corriander in the last version of this which was my poor imitation of 3 Day Weekend. Tastes great, but probably nowhere near what Tim's original was. Was told to expect some grassy aroma in the wort from the 6-Row. Anyone else got experience (good or bad) with 6-Row? But also to expect a slightly higher OG and FG. I also have some S-05 slurry in the fridge that still smells pretty strong of Citra/Galaxy from the last batch of the Kona Big Wave knockoff I did, and another from the Summer Blonde, which had Magnum, Cascade, and Centennial. Would get a better pitch with a slurry, but a little worried about hops residues hosing things up. Probably smarter to just put in fresh S-33 and double up the packets.

Worst case, I make undrinkable pig swill. Best case I learn heaps from it.

I got a batch of M47 going on old trub. With just pilsner malt.
It's about ready to bottle, but obviously it will be some time before I can taste it.
And it is hot now.
Does anyone have any experience with Mangrove Jack M47 (Belgian abbey) at around 34 oC?
Only about 10 oC more than recommended temp :eek:
Screenshot_20221012-093307.png

I got a batch of M47 going on old trub. With just pilsner malt.
It's about ready to bottle, but obviously it will be some time before I can taste it.
And it is hot now.
Does anyone have any experience with Mangrove Jack M47 (Belgian abbey) at around 34 oC?
Only about 10 oC more than recommended temp :eek:
View attachment 22648
My biggest concern would be with fuesel's Any way you can keep it down around 25 for the first few days?
Swamp cooler maybe?

My biggest concern would be with fuesel's Any way you can keep it down around 25 for the first few days?
Swamp cooler maybe?
How quick would I notice these fusels?
At bottle time? Or only a lot later?
I was thinking of just doing a simple grain bill, to find out how and what.
So far, I've found that a lot of yeasts can handle quite a bit of abuse ;)
Note that I brew small batches and am capable of drinking them quite fast

How quick would I notice these fusels?
At bottle time? Or only a lot later?
I was thinking of just doing a simple grain bill, to find out how and what.
So far, I've found that a lot of yeasts can handle quite a bit of abuse ;)
Note that I brew small batches and am capable of drinking them quite fast
They are hot alcohol flavors and they don't age out. Caused by high temperature fermentations.
They also give me a nasty headache.
Also the reason the Kveik strains are popular as they aren't producing them.
If you can keep it in a swamp cooler for the beginning of fermentation, say 3 days or so, hopefully you can avoid them.
Good luck!

Thanks,
I got a batch in fermenter that has had high temps during fermentation.
If fusel alcohols have been formed, will I taste these fusel alcohols straight away? As in before bottling?
That could then be my decission point.

If they are there and not too bad: bottle & wait.
There and bad: dump
Not there: re-use trub and push the limits
Not there: re-use trub and try coolish fermentation
Not there: put apple juice on trub
Not there: save slurry and keep cool for a later brew

Thanks,
If fusel alcohols have been formed, will I taste these fusel alcohols straight away? As in before bottling?

You'll taste them right away. Kind of like a vodka kick, but not the good kind.

Thanks,

I'm in a very different situation than you as yeast is easy to get for me. That being said, I'd dump any stressed yeast as I'm not sure what would happen downstream.
But if in your shoes, I'd recover the yeast and make a very mild starter with some yeast nutrient added before using it again.
In my mind, the yeast should still be able to produce healthy offspring.

You'll taste them right away. Kind of like a vodka kick, but not the good kind.
I don't like vodka either, so should be easy to taste.
Gonna get things ready for bottling. Quite curious and nervous now...

I am reading a few recipes today and working on figuring out what I am going to brew next. Going on vacation for a few days with family and will have some evenings to hang out in the hotel room and will be researching. I will come up with something I am sure. Pretty excited to see what catches my interest next.

That's a quick turn around for a holiday beer, what did you brew?
HiPapa is the name. Developed and released for my first grandchild.
This Holiday beer is a specialty Red IPA, bittered with Nugget, finished with Chinook, Cascade and Centennial. A bit of honey malt is added as well as a nice amount of caramel malt to bring up the sweetness and balance out the IBU's.
7.4%
73 IBU's
16 SRM
Turn time is ~ 2.5 - 3 weeks
Served with a spiced sugar topping on the head that we call Papa Topa

Last edited:
Brewing the Q4 @jmcnamara brown tomorrow it'll be a 30 min boil but I'll take 2lt and boil to a syrup and add that to the kegmenter with the rws yeast I'll pitch the next day (so I can pinch some Windsor for my yeast farm:)).

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1314931/q4-2022-brown-ale

Then after that (this is rare for me to schedule brewing slots) it'll be my Blond ale with Cryo Pop with a keg hop dry hop that will be put into keg to purge with fermentation. Then I'll transfer into this keg with the cryo hops already in situ.
Crazy maybe but oxygen mitigation will be great. Don't worry you'll know if it will be a fail!:D
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1325514/pop-it-like-it-s-hard
Cheers I'm smoked on HB:p

Edit anyone that looks at that hop stand (no chill)Cryo additions (20 something AA%) I was looking if the recipe calc changes ibus based on the addition time (1min) made no difference to 30min:confused: yeah I know IBUS are a Shit Shoot:p!

Hey @Trialben, is that base malt like Vienna @ 3.6L?
Also, did you ever try flipping the amounts of you CC and Gypsum in a recipe like this? It would make the mouthfeel luscious.
Cheers

Back