What's your next brew

That brewer Andy from 4 priests uses crisps as his base for his beers so must be good I think harrybrew 69 from the brew shed does too.
@AHarper @Steve SPF should have a good handle on it?

Crisp Malt is our go-to, I find Maris Otter excellent but my comparison experience is pretty narrow. Loads of brewhouses use it though.

Based on the extract efficiency I got on the pumpkin beer, I don't think the grain was double milled. Which means my kolsch efficiency will be low too. It's a bummer, but I love the LHBS and this is the first time it's happened. I was planning on a 3 gallon batch of kolsch at 1.044 OG, which is pretty much the limit for 1 pack of Lalbrew Koln dry yeast. The goal is to buildup for an Altbier batch next. So I'll use a little less liquor and plan for a longer boil and see what I get. Worse case I add water back in the fermenter. Would rather hit the OG than volume on this one.

I'm being so particular because my LHBS doesn't carry this yeast strain and it's my favorite German ale yeast. I ordered some online and want to milk it for as long as I can.
How 'bout adding some sugar?

How 'bout adding some sugar?
I don't want to dry it out, especially with an already low OG. I think I have some amber DME in the back of the fridge, but that flavor/color doesn't really match a kolsch

Define long term :)
How long do you keep a yeast culture and how do you preserve it?
I’ve kept some a couple months by simply leaving the uncarbed beer on it in a mason jar in the fridge with no significant degradation, but lost one doing the same thing in a few weeks. I chalked it up to sanitation, but it also had a lot more hops debris in it. Take your pick on cause, but all I know is if I had a dog, I would have blamed the odor on it.
I was just curious what you did for preservation and how long you kept any particular strain.
I’ve read a lot of subjective opinions about repitching, especially with dry yeasts, but the only thing I’ve noticed is that every repitch I’ve done is a lot more aggressive, probably from a much higher cell count. Knock wood, haven’t killed a batch yet. I know that day is coming, though.

How long do you keep a yeast culture and how do you preserve it?
I’ve kept some a couple months by simply leaving the uncarbed beer on it in a mason jar in the fridge with no significant degradation, but lost one doing the same thing in a few weeks. I chalked it up to sanitation, but it also had a lot more hops debris in it. Take your pick on cause, but all I know is if I had a dog, I would have blamed the odor on it.
I was just curious what you did for preservation and how long you kept any particular strain.
I’ve read a lot of subjective opinions about repitching, especially with dry yeasts, but the only thing I’ve noticed is that every repitch I’ve done is a lot more aggressive, probably from a much higher cell count. Knock wood, haven’t killed a batch yet. I know that day is coming, though.
Oh for the yeast, I thought you meant storage of the beer :D

I capture the slurry in sanitized glass jars leaving a bit of beer on top. If its been more than a few weeks since harvesting, I'll use it to build up a starter for fermentation.

Once dry yeast is pitched its no longer dry, so I treat it like any other yeast slurry. I haven't had any issues repitching dry yeast

Similar experience and techniques. Just making sure I wasn't doing anything stupid with it.

Just as I said the other day, my next brew has changed. I forgot I had some ultralight LME (8lbs) that I need to get gone. So here's my plan. Make a 2.5 gal pale ale and a 2.5 gal IPA using 4lbs of the LME in each with other grains. The plan is brew them simultaneously (The Plan). Chill one and no chill the other. Hopefully, the kitchen will survive this. I may be looking for another place to live after this one.

Looks tasty will test your brew skills.
That'll be pretty crisp too.
UPDATE!
"Stardate 41153.7, we have..."
...oops, sorry! I mean, "I have a pilsner!!!" :)
Fermentation was pretty slow (4+ weeks), but only ~2 months lagering were more than enough to get this:
Pils1_1.jpg
Pils1_2.jpg

....and it is HANDS DOWN the best beer I have ever brewed!

Well with the ipa in the fermenter, I’ll be switching yeast on the next batch back to Mauri 497 and brewing “Shore Leave” Cali Common.

UPDATE!
Fermentation was pretty slow (4+ weeks), but only ~2 months lagering were more than enough to get this:View attachment 22605 View attachment 22606
Well damn, that looks excellent. Amazing what a little bit of patience will do.

Well damn, that looks excellent. Amazing what a little bit of patience will do.
Yeah, pretty stoked. Version 2.0 (Hallertau Mittelfrüh, instead of Saazer) also took a long time to ferment and is currently bottle conditioning. Not sure why fermentation is taking longer than usual for this beer, but I am just going to chalk it up to yeast from a different manufacturer... (not sure if 34/07 from different producers makes a difference, but I have been switching around a bit recently, depending on what is available and affordable)
I am really happy with the clarity. It will get some chill haze if I let it get too cold (<8°C), but that is too be expected when using no finings and fairly warm "lagering" at only ~10-12°

UPDATE!
Fermentation was pretty slow (4+ weeks), but only ~2 months lagering were more than enough to get this:View attachment 22605 View attachment 22606
Wowie that looks delicious!
A credit to your br skills.

Wowwie... Captain, our sensors are picking up high levels of foam in this pilsner!

Wowwie... Captain, our sensors are picking up high levels of foam in this pilsner!
Thankfully not as extreme as it looks. :D
I am not big on high/overly carbonated beers, and this is still perfect for me. The "big" head in the pic is a combination of the glass, semi-fast pour and taking the pic really fast afterwards. 2 Minutes later and an 1" of head was gone (though, that may have also been due to me drinking it... :p)
I just poured another today in a completely different (pint) glass and there was very little head. But the lacing is still amazing, regardless of how much foam.

Last edited:
Thankfully not as extreme as it looks. :D
I am not big on high/overly carbonated beers, and this is still perfect for me. The "big" head in the pic is a combination of the glass, semi-fast pour and taking the pic really fast afterwards. 2 Minutes later and an 1" of head was gone (though, that may have also been due to me drinking it... :p)
I just poured another today in a completely different (pint) glass and there was very little head. But the lacing is still amazing, regardless of how much foam.
It's a beer fit for a celebration congratulations on such a fine looking bevvy I hope it tastes as good as it looks!

Back