What did you get delivered today

I don’t know what the rules are for sizing bags, but my BIAB does reach the bottom of my 8 gallon pot. I don’t think whether or not the bag reaches the bottom is the issue - and not reaching the bottom could allow you to apply direct heat to the kettle to maintain temp. Assuming it reaches at least far enough into the water to mash the grains, if it ties up tight, you should be good to go.

If you can get all the grains in you want it'll work if you can get the water up to the grains. Full volume mashing? I'd prefer a deeper bag, gives more flexibility on batch size.

image.jpg
I received this fine handcrafted tap handle courtesy of @Donoroto , a very nice gesture, indeed. Someday, it will be nice to screw this onto an actual tap. Until then, I can always use it In this fashion, naming the beer poured from a bottle.
image.jpg
Thanks Don!

So I picked up a biab bag for use in my 8 gallon kettle so I could do small test batches...the ad said this was the right size for this kettle but the depth of the bag's bottom is not even 2 inches close to the kettle's bottom...is this right?
If you have a false bottom, then the bag should generally reach the bottom. But if there is no false bottom then you need a little bit of liquid without bag or grain in it so that it can circulate. In either case, a couple of inches above the bottom is not harmful, just reduces the amount of space you have for grain.

View attachment 20847 I received this fine handcrafted tap handle courtesy of @Donoroto , a very nice gesture, indeed. Someday, it will be nice to screw this onto an actual tap. Until then, I can always use it In this fashion, naming the beer poured from a bottle.
View attachment 20848 Thanks Don!
That's funny. Maybe you can find a bottle opener stem that screws into the handle?

Glad you like it, it was truly my pleasure to make it.

Wow very nice indeed.my initial thoughts was oh herms had some custom tap handles made then I saw Don Made it well makes sense bloody beautiful!

So I picked up a biab bag for use in my 8 gallon kettle so I could do small test batches...the ad said this was the right size for this kettle but the depth of the bag's bottom is not even 2 inches close to the kettle's bottom...is this right?
View attachment 20837

Check this out on Amazon
Filter Pocket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FTH2T9...a_i_7RZ87FMSHRADFEPR0987?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I've done similar in the past mashed in them tiny paint strainer bags our big chain hardware store sells and I was think oh here we go my efficiency is gunna be way down.

Nope 83% I couldn't believe it
I'm not 100% sure why but starches geletenise and im imagining become free flowing within the mash liquor as is the enzymes therefore conversion happens as long as there is full saturation of the grain bed profile.

How often have you started the mash with almost milk like consistency to find at 60 min or so its running clear to see through that to me says yup starches have been converted.

View attachment 20837

Check this out on Amazon
Filter Pocket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FTH2T9...a_i_7RZ87FMSHRADFEPR0987?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Doesn’t look correct to me. I’m not sure the drawstring or whatever cinches around the top of the kettle is meant to support the weight of the wet grain. Seems like it would pull the bag into the kettle. Plus, it might be a bitch trying to lift it out to drain. My bag fits loosely in my kettle with plenty of slack at the bottom and then hangs over the lip a few inches as shown in the picture.

Attachments

• 5FD02032-7A14-45CB-A939-3FC7C07925FE.jpeg
    5FD02032-7A14-45CB-A939-3FC7C07925FE.jpeg
    274.1 KB · Views: 29
I’m not sure the drawstring or whatever cinches around the top of the kettle is meant to support the weight of the wet grain.

Yeah...it's a tight fit. I was thinking I could start the mash with the bag "open" then sinch the bag and treat it like a big tea bag....I only plan on doing a 2 gallon batchs.

Yeah...it's a tight fit. I was thinking I could start the mash with the bag "open" then sinch the bag and treat it like a big tea bag....I only plan on doing a 2 gallon batchs.

Since the malt has less room to swim around if you “tea bag” it, I’d recommend swishing the bag around a couple of times during the mash. It’s supposed to help with conversion. I stir mine twice during a 60 minute mash.

My biab bag is quite big, but I still tie it close and use like that.
At least then the lid fits proper on the pot and the whole thing fits inside the cooler box (lined with a duvet).
Yep, small batches

From Amazon?
Looks like mine came in a similar case ;)

Back