What are you drinking right now?

Beach brew 2 is cooling down (first time doing a real no chill), so I can have a drink now
IMG_20230531_180629707.jpg

Quite a bit darker in the picture than in reality ;)

View attachment 25585 AC Pale Ale after another harrowing day up on the roof. I think today was about the sixth or seventh time I’ve cleaned out our rain gutters since moving in last August. That is the price for having a maple tree in the southeastern corner of our front yard, and a giant maple tree in the neighbors back yard to our north. Both are beautiful trees, but at the same time messy, dropping copious amounts of seeds now, then leaves and more seeds in the fall.View attachment 25587
So, which method of gutter cleaning do you use? And is it a single story or is it higher?

My roof has a 7/12 pitch, fairly steep, and is up to 25 feet from the ground at the gutters. I simply cannot go up there any more, as my balance is not like it was 40 years ago. Instead, I had gutter guards installed. They work, and came with a lifetime no-clog guarantee.

I used to go on my NJ roof, 5/12 pitch with a single story, and blow out the gutters with my backpack leaf blower. Or lean a ladder up and scoop the gunk out by hand.

So, which method of gutter cleaning do you use? And is it a single story or is it higher?

My roof has a 7/12 pitch, fairly steep, and is up to 25 feet from the ground at the gutters. I simply cannot go up there any more, as my balance is not like it was 40 years ago. Instead, I had gutter guards installed. They work, and came with a lifetime no-clog guarantee.

I used to go on my NJ roof, 5/12 pitch with a single story, and blow out the gutters with my backpack leaf blower. Or lean a ladder up and scoop the gunk out by hand.
Single story, not sure of the pitch. I have done the scoop method when wet, blower when dry. Yes, I need gutter guards, but realize that gutters still need cleaning, even with guards. Anyway, it makes a good story of beer as a reward for my hard work.

Single story, not sure of the pitch. I have done the scoop method when wet, blower when dry. Yes, I need gutter guards, but realize that gutters still need cleaning, even with guards. Anyway, it makes a good story of beer as a reward for my hard work.
I do the same thing but once a year before storm season here.
It's a Royal PITA but it's gotta be done.

Big rains and cloged up gutters = water backing up and overflowing into places I don't want:eek:.

I use the broken down leaf debris in the compost

MyDSC21-082a.jpg
MyDSC21-082b.jpg

Two and a half month Old Suffolk dark strong ale. ABV: 7%.

Opened earlier than planned (six months) due to leaks on the tap.

As suspected this does not taste quite finished although the mouthfeel is absolutely superb. That said it is also further on than expected. A similar bitterness to a stout or porter although the experience on that side is much briefer or less intense. Far more prominent is a warm sweetness. And I do think this is meant to be served room temperature. The aftertaste is quite dry though. I would describe this beer as layered rather than complex. Dry hopped with Boadicea which have dropped to a very subtle complementary level compared to the bottles I tried several weeks back. Seems at the beginning of about to develop great body and depth. Feels like a potential classic winter time ale that would warm me right through and down to the toes. Quite relaxing. Shame overall re: the timing as maybe 4-6 weeks from fully matured although it could well develop more still. I plan to have another go at this beer as I am sure it is one which will provide great rewards for patience. To be planned for winter next time though.

I do the same thing but once a year before storm season here.
It's a Royal PITA but it's gotta be done.

Big rains and cloged up gutters = water backing up and overflowing into places I don't want:eek:.

I use the broken down leaf debris in the compost
image.jpg
This big tree (Silver Maple) is in the neighbor’s yard to our north. This picture shows only about 2/3 of its height. It seems winds from the north are prevalent, so leaves, twigs and seeds that drop in the wind get blown on our roof. Just last week, the seeds were falling like rain, and they will fall again in Autumn, after the leaves drop. In our front yard, a Norwegian Maple does the same. The leaves from both trees make for great mulch and compost, but the seeds are squirrel food and potential new trees. I’m not complaining, just telling you all how I work for my beer. After having lived in a condominium for nearly 25 years, I now get to do the work that HOA dues used to take care of.

This:
D9443A8C-54ED-4434-8856-2B3DA2710903.jpeg

Interesting combination of citrus and spice
How close is this to your Ginger Ninger, Ben? Don’t remember you mentioning anything about chamomile, but the Kaffir lime leaves and ginger are there. Not bitter at all. Not as sweet as a shandy, but plenty citrus popping.

oops. Made in Huntsvegas. The Yellowhammer Brewing Co. (Yellowhammer is the state bird of Alabama)

This:
View attachment 25618
Interesting combination of citrus and spice
How close is this to your Ginger Ninger, Ben? Don’t remember you mentioning anything about chamomile, but the Kaffir lime leaves and ginger are there. Not bitter at all. Not as sweet as a shandy, but plenty citrus popping.

oops. Made in Huntsvegas. The Yellowhammer Brewing Co. (Yellowhammer is the state bird of Alabama)
Would love to try it to taste their take on it.

Maybe experiment yourself with this spicey side of brewing RoadRoach :p.

I think if you liked that take you will def like one of your own;)

I've tried kaffir lime in some of my beers but couldn't taste it in the end product.
Wondering if I should use them like a dry hop maybe?
Or, more likely, my tastebuds aren't sophisticated enough

Would love to try it to taste their take on it.

Maybe experiment yourself with this spicey side of brewing RoadRoach :p.

I think if you liked that take you will def like one of your own;)
Just gotta get finished with a few projects around here. Got my version of @Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews Three Day Weekend sitting in the fermenter waiting to be bottled. Holding it at 6C. I reckon it’s about as close to a lager as I can get it. But it’s giving me a chance to try some different local brew. Lots of’em on the shelves during the summer. Had some Trim Tab stuff a couple weeks ago. It was good, but certainly not worth up to 3X the cost of some other local brews. I think I’ve made some better than that. If for no other reason than time, I gotta get it in gear and move to kegging. Gotta update the fermenter to a pressure ratee one first. Then invest in some of the mini kegs that will fit in the fridge.

Back