What are you drinking right now?

You can do it @Sandy Feet Lager yeasts are more forgiving than the “lore” says. Pitch as cold as you can and plenty of it. After it hit 50% attenuation in temp range then you got it.
yup, I found with lagers, the trick is dont cheap out on the yeast! get two or three, or do a 2 step starter. and be patient! it takes alot more time to ferment when it is only 50°F

Cider here
20230107_181135.jpg

Guess I’ll have to get another so I can take a photo of my Frankenbeer III. It’s purty good stuff, now. Almost like taking a big bite off an ear of sweet corn. Excellent clarity and laces the mug very nicely. Not much head retention, but a steady stream of CO2 bubbles in the glass. TASTY!

image.jpg

Had to wait for the frozen mug to warm up a little to show off the beer. Head gone that quickly. I normally pour one from the shelf into the frozen mug which gets it to just the right temperature.

Last edited:
Guess I’ll have to get another so I can take a photo of my Frankenbeer III. It’s purty good stuff, now. Almost like taking a big bite off an ear of sweet corn. Excellent clarity and laces the mug very nicely. Not much head retention, but a steady stream of CO2 bubbles in the glass. TASTY!

View attachment 23758
Had to wait for the frozen mug to warm up a little to show off the beer. Head gone that quickly. I normally pour one from the shelf into the frozen mug which gets it to just the right temperature.
Makes me wonder if a little DMS (creamed corn) and/or Diacetyl (butter) would make it taste even better? I mean, who doesn't like butter on an ear of corn?

Makes me wonder if a little DMS (creamed corn) and/or Diacetyl (butter) would make it taste even better? I mean, who doesn't like butter on an ear of corn?
Hmmmmm. You might be onto something. The very things we normally want to get out of beer actually enhancing a recipe? Whodathunkit?

Homebrew Dubbel. Not quite ready for prime time, but couldn't resist trying one at 2 weeks. When bottling I had just enough at the end of the run to fill a 200ml bottle. This is what I poured, as my "test bottle." Head was much higher when I poured, but had shrunk some by the time I took the pic. Too slow with the camera. :) I had carbed to 3.3 volumes. Very banana, which is fine by me. But still a bit green. Needs more time.

Dubbel2.jpg

Sampled the Albany Ale spoils....it came in at 6.8 and a dry finish. The hop schedule...Cluster and Cluster was really faint but nice....looking forward to sampling the results of some bottle conditioning...having my house brown while making dinner.

Sampled the Albany Ale spoils....it came in at 6.8 and a dry finish. The hop schedule...Cluster and Cluster was really faint but nice....looking forward to sampling the results of some bottle conditioning...having my house brown while making dinner.

OK, Albany ale...don't know that one. I checked the Googles and found a little info. A 400 year old historical brew, kind of a mild, pale ale. I'm intrigued, might have to look into that. Seems to be some association with oysters, based on my searches.

Got a recipe? I did find this one, with Cluster hops.

Edit: I just looked into the recipe I linked above. It's billed as a "weaker" version, with OG of 1.100. With 18.5 lbs. of 6-row in a 5 gallon batch. Holy cats, I can't imagine what the "regular" version is like. Must be akin to an old ale or barleywine. Nothing mild about that.

Last edited:
Here @MaxStout , here's a rabbit hole to get you started, there is also a Facebook group devoted to it.

http://alloveralbany.com/archive/2013/09/12/resurrecting-a-lost-beer-and-part-of-albanys-histo

The recipe is aaaahhh a ....nebulous...sorta thing and based on the research that the head of the Albany Ale Project has done..there's nothing absolute so the road is wide but the direction is pretty straight..it's a strong Ale, 2 row was not a thing in the USA at the time so it was brewed with 6 row, hop choices in the region was limited and most likely was Cluster. So with some backwards engineering, this seems to be a pretty good approximation of what it was. I think I first heard about it on Experimental Brewing's podcast so there's a couple rabbit trails to jump down...the water requirements were the tricky part for me to figure out.

I can't find the link for the recipe ATM but here's the one I used for a 6 gallon batch
11# 6 row
2.5 # flaked corn
4 oz of toasted 400 L
11 oz table sugar
1 oz Cluster at 60 and 5 minutes
Mash at 155 for 60 min
Sparge at 170
I have a 3 tier set up and boil off about 2 gallons an hour so if I use 85% of my normal mash and sparge volumes, 1.5 qt/# and 2 qt/# respectively, I got to the desired yield.

Back