What are you drinking right now?

image.jpg
Since they’re sort of in the same neighborhood as lhbs, stopped in here for a Watershed IPA after getting supplies to brew.

image.jpg
First bottle of totally local primitive cider. Good apple aroma and flavor, decent fizz, and the honey creating a nice background vanilla note. Fresh pressed cider and Meadowfoam honey from Detering Orchards just a few miles north of Eugene. It is awesome to be able to support local farmers!

View attachment 23863 Pfriem Dank IPA at The Friendly Garden, just across the street from Friendly Market, where I bought some groceries for dinner tonight and tomorrow. Well planned, I think.
Heard great things about Pfriem, haven't had the chance to try them myself

This is my homebrew dark lager. It's mostly good, but there's a subtle off flavor in there I can't put my finger on (my gut says black licorice). Probably due to a temp spike during fermentation. Still a success tho, cheers!
20230115_192223.jpg

View attachment 23856 First bottle of totally local primitive cider. Good apple aroma and flavor, decent fizz, and the honey creating a nice background vanilla note. Fresh pressed cider and Meadowfoam honey from Detering Orchards just a few miles north of Eugene. It is awesome to be able to support local farmers!
Very nice!
Yeah the body is one thing the Apple juice from the shop once fermented lacks.
I'm thinking of juicing maybe a kg or 2 through our cold press juicer to see if i can replicate that farm fresh stuff.

Heard great things about Pfriem, haven't had the chance to try them myself

This is my homebrew dark lager. It's mostly good, but there's a subtle off flavor in there I can't put my finger on (my gut says black licorice). Probably due to a temp spike during fermentation. Still a success tho, cheers!
View attachment 23864
Pfriem makes good IPA’s, and they make a tasty CDA as well.

Very nice!
Yeah the body is one thing the Apple juice from the shop once fermented lacks.
I'm thinking of juicing maybe a kg or 2 through our cold press juicer to see if i can replicate that farm fresh stuff.
I’m hoping the 2 apple trees in our yard produce some fruit this year, as last year they produced nothing but leaves. Apparently, they are in need of pruning, so that is something I’ll be doing soon to take advantage of winter dormancy. We have a Honey Crisp and a Spitzenburg, which are supposed to be good for cider. Whatever the case, we like apples in this house.

m hoping the 2 apple trees in our yard produce some fruit this year, as last year they produced nothing but leaves. Apparently, they are in need of pruning, so that is something I’ll be doing soon
Yep, they fruit on 2nd year wood.
Don't prune too much. There's a bit of an art to it as you stand a chance to get apples every other year.

I’m hoping the 2 apple trees in our yard produce some fruit this year, as last year they produced nothing but leaves. Apparently, they are in need of pruning, so that is something I’ll be doing soon to take advantage of winter dormancy. We have a Honey Crisp and a Spitzenburg, which are supposed to be good for cider. Whatever the case, we like apples in this house.
Some varieties only produce fruit every other year. We had a delicious tree at our last house, fruit every other year!

@Zambezi Special and @Craigerrr that is what locals are telling us, and that last year was particularly bad for apples around here. I am reading that apple trees should be pruned by about 25% to encourage new growth with fruit. A new skill to learn in this journey called life. One way or another, we’ll have apples for eating in pies, compote with oatmeal, in hand, or for making cider.

Back