What are you drinking right now?

English Bitter* using @Josh Hughes recipe.

View attachment 22253

*The recipe says bitter, but it isn't. Maybe a mild? I'm sending a sample to Josh, maybe he can tell me what it is...

English Bitters aren't really bitter. They got that name simply because they were bitter when compared to the porters that were common at that time. I love English Bitters.

That lager looks awesome Ben.
There is big yeast character from Samuel Smith, fruity esters galore. I even taste it though the dark malts of their oatmeal Stout and at addy Porter. I do not taste any oxidation with the Stout or the Indian Pale I had the other day. The India Pale of course tastes nothing like an American IPA. This one is very little in the way of dry hopping character or even much late hopping, although I’m sure they do. The Stout was super tasty. Nothing like a dry Irish stout. This one is “chewy”. Nice coffee aftertaste. Bittersweet chocolate as well.
If you want super English yeast characteristics these will make you happy.
I do a knockoff of the Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout. I add 4 oz cacao nibs 10 minutes before flame out. Really bumps the chocolate flavor. Like a bowl of oatmeal with cocoa syrup on it. Takes that one a little to sneak up on ya, but when it does, the alcohol in it is about as subtle as a sledgehammer. My last one popped about 10.5 ABV(calculated from og and fg).

Unlike XXXX Bitter in Aus it is Bitter:D
I really didn’t notice it being so bitter. Helped my BIL empty a few slabs when we were down there last, just as air travel was being shut down for COVID-19. We barely got back home. If anything, I think Budweiser is probably the bitterest American commercial beers. Don’t like it at all.

English Bitters aren't really bitter. They got that name simply because they were bitter when compared to the porters that were common at that time. I love English Bitters.
The problem is I don't have anything to compare it to. I've been looking at Total Wine for months for a good example of an English bitter, but they just don't really carry anything like that.:(

That's why I'm sending some to our resident expert...

It is delicious though.

Drinking water at the moment. Beer and power tools are generally a bad mix.Been making more bottle crates today. The buggers are a little heavier than I wanted, but will be a lot safer than worn out cardboard boxes. Bout time for a Rapier Wit and a broom for cleanup, though.

I do a knockoff of the Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout. I add 4 oz cacao nibs 10 minutes before flame out. Really bumps the chocolate flavor. Like a bowl of oatmeal with cocoa syrup on it. Takes that one a little to sneak up on ya, but when it does, the alcohol in it is about as subtle as a sledgehammer. My last one popped about 10.5 ABV(calculated from og and fg).
What I like about the Samuel smith is it’s quite balanced. Roast, sweetness, bitter all in check and melds quite well. Especially at 5% I can have more

What I like about the Samuel smith is it’s quite balanced. Roast, sweetness, bitter all in check and melds quite well. Especially at 5% I can have more
What yeast did you use? I put Nottingham in my knockoff, using a starter made with a pound of DME. I left it in the fermenter for nearly a full month. Every time I checked it, bubbles in the air lock, so I just let it rip. Ran an abbey blonde while I was waiting for the stout to finish.

Sweet Baby Java
Damn this is a nice beer, though one not for the purists.

And in the background, Carlo is answering for Sonny.

EA86F53A-1E61-4C15-A33F-1764F519A25D.jpeg

What yeast did you use? I put Nottingham in my knockoff, using a starter made with a pound of DME. I left it in the fermenter for nearly a full month. Every time I checked it, bubbles in the air lock, so I just let it rip. Ran an abbey blonde while I was waiting for the stout to finish.
This is the real deal. I haven’t made it. I’ve made an attempt at Yorkshire stuff using the Wyeast Yorkshire yeast and it gets fruitier than any other dive used

@RoadRoach did you mean my Ruby English Ale? I used Verdant in that. I don’t use Nottingham for anything English since it too clean for what I’M after on those ales. I do like Nottingham in Irish Stouts and Irish Reds.

The problem is I don't have anything to compare it to. I've been looking at Total Wine for months for a good example of an English bitter, but they just don't really carry anything like that.:(

That's why I'm sending some to our resident expert...

It is delicious though.

Total Wine by me has Fullers ESB. They also have Robinson's Trooper, which is also a great ESB brewed in conjunction with Iron Maiden. You should ask them to bring some in.

Total Wine by me has Fullers ESB. They also have Robinson's Trooper, which is also a great ESB brewed in conjunction with Iron Maiden. You should ask them to bring some in.
Fullers London pride is a great one for the typical lower gravity bitter, my favorite of the bunch. Trooper I like. Boddingtons are usually around, my second favorite. Lots of variety in English “bitters” so plenty to try and most different, at least with what we can get here. Boddingtons and London pride are very different from each other. I also really like Old Speckled Hen. Hobgoblin is a favorite as well but I think it’s different.

Fullers London pride is a great one for the typical lower gravity bitter, my favorite of the bunch. Trooper I like. Boddingtons are usually around, my second favorite. Lots of variety in English “bitters” so plenty to try and most different, at least with what we can get here. Boddingtons and London pride are very different from each other. I also really like Old Speckled Hen. Hobgoblin is a favorite as well but I think it’s different.
Big fan of Boddington's. Especially on nitro on tap

Here's my Munich 1 and Citra SMaSH. Even maltier than the Vienna, but not as sweet. Very crisp in the finish.
20220911_201821.jpg

Yes, London's Pride and Old Speckled Hen are awesome. Have yet to try Hobgoblin.

Back