What are you drinking right now?

Sampling leftovers from this year's barleywine. Already I think this might be the best batch yet, and it's not even carbed up yet!
16304590251127758550569632616073.jpg

And trying the 2020 barleywine now. This batch didn't carb up nearly as well as previous ones, but it's got a nice vinous, viscous feel to it.
Maybe it's the hefty taster of the other barleywine, or the 7.2% black berliner weisse with plums, but the 2020 batch isn't nearly as bad as I remember

Doing a side by side Oktoberfest sampling. One local and one macro. The Sam Adam's was better IMO which is a little disappointing.

@Donoroto what did you think of the SN Oktoberfest?
Also a little disappointing, but maybe I'm a beer snob. Wasn't as malty as I expected. At 5.5% also wasn't as big as I expected.
Edit: Also not as sweet as I prefer, but that's subtle: it's not a belgian. Maybe it is a tad bitterer than preferred.

But it's going down the hatch and not the drain.

Last edited:
Also a little disappointing, but maybe I'm a beer snob. Wasn't as malty as I expected. At 5.5% also wasn't as big as I expected.
Edit: Also not as sweet as I prefer, but that's subtle: it's not a belgian. Maybe it is a tad bitterer than preferred.

It's September already, time for the October.
View attachment 17255
I enjoyed a can of SN Oktoberfest last week, something my wife picked up from the loose beers shelf at Trader Joe’s. Given that I have little experience with this style, I had no expectations. The beer was nice, and I would drink another.

I'm more of a fan of dry/balanced Oktoberfests than sweet/malty ones. Different strokes I guess. I try to picture whether or not I could drink 10 of them over an afternoon/evening at a festival and if it's too sweet I know I would need to switch beer styles after a couple.

I'm more of a fan of dry/balanced Oktoberfests than sweet/malty ones. Different strokes I guess. I try to picture whether or not I could drink 10 of them over an afternoon/evening at a festival and if it's too sweet I know I would need to switch beer styles after a couple.
I’m with you here. Of course, I can’t remember the last time I actually had one that was like that. :p

Just took a taste of my latest Samuel Adams Summer Ale knockoff. I forgot how high the OG was when I put it away (and haven't yet recorded the FG (1.021), so I freaked a little about how high the FG was. Not much krausen in the fermenter, but a great aroma, if not still sweet and malty, as the FG suggests. As it were, OG started at 1.063, so I'm not really surprised the yeast quit considering I used a dry yeast pack. I'm thinking this one could have used a good starter rather than just a dry yeast pitch. Dunno what the ABV is yet, but feeling that warmth all the way down the gullet says pretty high. We'll see how it goes in a few days. Already showing signs of a strong head, so let's see what carbing and conditioning do to it.
Opened the first bottle today. I’ll say again, there’s something magical under my stairs to my basement. Very fizzy already, and looks like another one that’s gonna require some skills to transfer from bottle to glass, especially if the intent is to have it at European drinking temperatures. Strangely, the eruption seems to start in the sediment, and instantly clouds what was a fairly clear beer. I’ve noticed this on several of higher OG beers.
But, @ the moment, enjoying the fruits of someone else’s labor.
image.jpg

Opened the first bottle today. I’ll say again, there’s something magical under my stairs to my basement. Very fizzy already, and looks like another one that’s gonna require some skills to transfer from bottle to glass, especially if the intent is to have it at European drinking temperatures. Strangely, the eruption seems to start in the sediment, and instantly clouds what was a fairly clear beer. I’ve noticed this on several of higher OG beers.
But, @ the moment, enjoying the fruits of someone else’s labor. View attachment 17272
I like amber ale.

I met my wife at BJ’s after work for a couple pints. She had BJ’s Jeremiah Red, while I had Piranha Pale Ale. Her Jeremiah Red was tasty. As a perk of my Beer Club membership (which I am not supposed to talk about), I took home a bomber bottle of Abbey Normal Dubbel. On a later visit, I will get to take home a 4 pack of 16 ounce cans of Hoppy Scotsman, an American take on a Scottish Ale.

Back