What are you drinking right now?

Porter. Or at least it was supposed to be. Hmm. I’ll say I fouled up somewhere and made a lousy Porter, but a pretty decent Brown. Does that count?
We all have that white whale, no? I can make a really great Stout, but my Porter always seems to be one obvious tweak away from spot on. So I make that adjustment only to find another dial needed to be turned. Turn that dial and realize I missed that button that needed pushing…. No worries though, the change i need to make is quite obvious now. I got this. :)

AE77D017-97B7-45E5-8C0F-A56622082F8F.jpeg

Porter. Or at least it was supposed to be. Hmm. I’ll say I fouled up somewhere and made a lousy Porter, but a pretty decent Brown. Does that count?
We all have that white whale, no? I can make a really great Stout, but my Porter always seems to be one obvious tweak away from spot on. So I make that adjustment only to find another dial needed to be turned. Turn that dial and realize I missed that button that needed pushing…. No worries though, the change i need to make is quite obvious now. I got this. :)

View attachment 16361
Pretty color.
ESB for me. Car is loaded.

I’ve still never tasted one.....:( Unless I keep going with German beers I have the stuff to make a California common. Maybe I will after that pic.

My recommendation is to drink the "Commercial Benchmark" first..that's in part why I do this sort of......research...yeah..that's the ticket....research...yeah, yeah! *

Seriously though, it was my first and I was surprised at the hoppiness of it...has it always been that way or are the compensating for the current American palette for a hoppy beer? What is that got in it? A bunch of Cascade?

*keeping the global mix of readers here in mind that may not get the Jon Lovitz reference...and it's not the condom commercial!

7E2CF9B1-26CF-4922-B68B-6D5829E050FB.jpeg
22A0FDE5-309D-4BB4-97A8-D058ACB4A5FE.jpeg
Now a Brewdog Jagged Edge (on sale for $7.99 a 6-pack) followed by a New Belgium Tripel. Brewdog is nice and grassy, while the tripel (likely made in Asheville) is warm and boozy, a bit sweet, and 8.5%...

I am having a Bloody Cesar. I believe it is a Canadian thing, correct my if you have had one, or already knew what it is. Basically it is Clamato juice with wrochestire sauce, hot sauce like Frank's, and vodka. Too much bother to make, just opened a can and poured it over ice. One would normally salt the rim and stick a piece of celery in their glass.
20210627_170118.jpg

View attachment 16361
Brown Porter is a thing! I prefer them over all others! No black malt flavors - just chocolate, toffee, coffee for me! MMMM It looks great!

IMG_20210627_095710.jpg

I had one of these today! - It's an experimental beer. Vienna Lager malt profile with a touch of honey malt. I used mandarina hops - all at the very end of the boil (2 oz worth). I then fermented it with my trusty 34/70 yeast until nearly done and then added 24 oz of Orange Blossom Honey. Once the honey was added I started spunding (fermzilla all rounder). - This is the first beer where I actually taste honey! A great summer beer for sure! Just in time for the heat of July and August!

Now if only I could figure out why it didn't drop clear - despite being at 33 degrees for 3 weeks! - I know I forgot the wirlfoc tablet but it wasn't the first time I've done that and this is super cloudy.... Gotta dig back into the recipe and my notes.

View attachment 16401
I had one of these today! - It's an experimental beer. Vienna Lager malt profile with a touch of honey malt. I used mandarina hops - all at the very end of the boil (2 oz worth). I then fermented it with my trusty 34/70 yeast until nearly done and then added 24 oz of Orange Blossom Honey. Once the honey was added I started spunding (fermzilla all rounder). - This is the first beer where I actually taste honey! A great summer beer for sure! Just in time for the heat of July and August!

Now if only I could figure out why it didn't drop clear - despite being at 33 degrees for 3 weeks! - I know I forgot the wirlfoc tablet but it wasn't the first time I've done that and this is super cloudy.... Gotta dig back into the recipe and my notes.
Sure looks like a summer quencher and more like a NEIPA ha ha!
Yup shouldn't have any troubles getting 34/70 to drop clear even without finnings.
My guess is the late addition honey.
Some sorta haze causing proteins in it or something...

Back