What are you drinking right now?

That’s so cool, thank you!!

The big dial turn to turn is the Carafa II. If you like a lot of roast, eliminate it and give those ounces to the Roasted Barley. If you like to keep the roast to a minimum, go the other direction. The % that you see there is my preference, but everyone’s mileage definitely varies. The wheat, I have found, is responsible for a nice sustainable head. My one, absolute must have is BRY-97. I have tried Stouts with various other yeasts, but this one works best for what I was going after...dry and sessionable. If I was making an Oatmeal Stout or a Milk Stout, I would choose a different yeast.

If you ever brew this, please let me know how it comes out!
Thanks for the recipe! I really appreciate your notes about the roast malts and yeast; any suggestions on the vanilla dosage? Beans or extract?

Thanks for the recipe! I really appreciate your notes about the roast malts and yeast; any suggestions on the vanilla dosage? Beans or extract?

A really good extract. I have no patience for beans.

I added 2 Tbsp (1oz) to 2.5 gallons into the keg. Another tbsp would work too. Even 2 more, if you are vanilla crazy.

That is great clarity. How is the carbonation? It looks a little low.
It is a little low, but it really suits it.
Sadly, I just went for a top up, and the darn thing went and kicked on me:(, so I am now having a blend of Cragunitas, and the Bloody Finger... man I should have tried this before now!
20210102_231616.jpg

Nice looking beer. I kicked a keg about 2 ounces into my first pour tonight. Looked all over for Celebration Ale, both here and in Reno. None to be found. Seems like it's usually available until early February. Disappointed, but found an assortment with 40th Anniversary Ale, so all is not lost.

View attachment 13500
Celebration Ale, now that is a beauty! It has been a couple years since I've seen one of those

That’s my house Stout that I decided to add a bit of vanilla to. The vanilla actually enhances the roasty, chocolatey nature of the beer and only hints at “vanilla”. Kind of strange, but I think that’s the beauty of vanilla. Makes all the other ingredients step up their game.
I have looked at your recipe, but don’t see any vanilla addition. Where, when do you add?

Last edited:
I have looked at your recipe, but don’t see any vanilla addition. Where, when do you add?
The vanilla isn’t in the base recipe. I just decided to add 2tbsp of a good quality extract to the keg when I racked the beer. Nothing special or difficult about it. That’s 2.5 gallons into the keg, not 5 gallons.

I think coffee would be another interesting addition to this, with or without the vanilla.

PBR. Won't be drinking any homebrew until Tuesday or Wednesday.
PBR.jpg

Changed out the tower on my keezer and was going to trim the beer line ends where beer stone builds up. Decided to replace the lines and ordered from Amazon. Keezer will be out of order until they arrive.
Out of Order.jpg

Dale's is a real nice IPA, haven't had one for ages mind you...

Back