What are you drinking right now?

Finished the second freeze and drain of my Apple Jack today. Ended up somewhere between 18 & 20% ABV. (going by starting vs. ending volume difference) Pretty smooth and definitely a little boozy. Much nicer than earlier attempts that were about 12 to 14%. The drain from the second freeze went a lot faster than the first.
Put it in the beer fridge, so sampling cold. Going to pull one jar out and let it come to room temp and see what it's like.
Apple Jack.jpg

I like it in whiskey but not sure about it in beer. Couldn’t really taste it that much. Only had a about 10% in this beer. Going to pump it up to about 15% next time. Maybe the flavor was mild cuz of the local malt I used... IDK
Just for reference I used 20% rye in a saison recently and it was about right to balance with the fruity yeast. The 45ibu was above the rye and yeast balance wise. Should have been more like 30ibu. 15 to 20 percent should be good for the rye.

I like it in whiskey but not sure about it in beer. Couldn’t really taste it that much. Only had a about 10% in this beer. Going to pump it up to about 15% next time. Maybe the flavor was mild cuz of the local malt I used... IDK
I have never had a rye pale ale that I liked. There are those that do, and power to them, it is a particular taste, for particularly, particular people... that like rye... in beer...

I have never had a rye pale ale that I liked. There are those that do, and power to them, it is a particular taste, for particularly, particular people... that like rye... in beer...
Had a Guinness Rye Pale ale that I really liked but not seen since that 6 pack!

Just for reference I used 20% rye in a saison recently and it was about right to balance with the fruity yeast. The 45ibu was above the rye and yeast balance wise. Should have been more like 30ibu. 15 to 20 percent should be good for the rye.
Thanks! Since it was a Blonde at 26 IBUs and 5% ABV I didn’t want to over do that spicy rye flavor. Sounds like I’m on the right track. I’m going to up the C20 a little on the next attempt as well. It took me a long time to get a session IPA that is just right. This is my first stab at a Blonde so it could take a few tries.

Just curious, what is the particular taste that you get from Rye? I use 20% Rye in an IPA and I get a little color and help with head retention/foam. But I’ve never noticed any mythical spice or finger-pointing flavor from Rye malt. Admittedly, that could be explained by the malt I use, but I think Rye Malt = Spice is a bit of a homebrewer’s myth.

Got a Pale Ale slated in about a month with about 19% Rye will let you know what it's like. I've done a rye IPAs with about 20% a couple times in the past and noticed just a bit of a spicy note. Just subbed the rye in for part of the base malt and didn't change anything else. It was vey drinkable.

Did a search and the closes place to me that sells it is listed as being in San Jose, CA. 242 miles away. My youngest daughter lives in St. Louis and a liquor store in Fenton, pretty close by, is listed. Maybe have her pick me up some when she comes out for Christmas if they do have is.

Reactions: Jnh
Just curious, what is the particular taste that you get from Rye? I use 20% Rye in an IPA and I get a little color and help with head retention/foam. But I’ve never noticed any mythical spice or finger-pointing flavor from Rye malt. Admittedly, that could be explained by the malt I use, but I think Rye Malt = Spice is a bit of a homebrewer’s myth.
To be honest I haven't had one for so long, I couldn't even tell you what it is that I didn't like about a rye pale ale.

4th blond version with 300g carahell.
20200815_175814.jpg

I think this'll be the last run on my hornindal I'm getting a slight phenolic pepper note lucky I've got a back up.

20200815_175756.jpg

And my malty covid Skare lager it was clear I moved the keg today didn't i:oops: cleaned the taps anyhow that's my plastering job I'm doing in back ground. Building a bulkhead to mount a barn door on. Cheers

Back