What are you drinking right now?

A pint of my Chinook Summer Ale and some Apple Jack. Yeast has settled out and it almost like an apple whiskey, Got a nice bite to it.
lunch.jpg

Fill me in. What is this Apple Jack you speak of?

When making hard cider, I do a 6 gallon batch. When it's done. I keg 5 gallons and put the remainder in plastic jugs and freeze it. Once it's frozen solid, you proceed just like you would if making Eisbock. Freeze distilling.

Cool. In Kentucky we have Apple jack that is moonshine that is flavored with apple and cinnamon.

Is this the same as Apple pie moonshine? I’ve enjoyed a share of that in the past

I've tried some Apple Pie Moonshine done by a local here. Not sure, but I think he actually distills and then dilutes down and flavors. Apple Jack is freeze distilled. Concentrated by freezing and running off the alcohol, which doesn't freeze. Most of the water is left behind and you end up with a concentrated cider. Since some of the ice thaws and runs off too, you can freeze the concentrate again and repeat the process to increase the ABV.

Bell's Two Hearted and sampling alongside one of mine. I think the color is spot on, but the crystal in mine was a bit to much, and all my hop rates were a little low to counter the sweetness. Hopefully the adjustments I've made work in my favor on the one brewed a couple of days ago.
IMG_20200815_151036.jpg
IMG_20200815_151313.jpg

Bell's Two Hearted and sampling alongside one of mine. I think the color is spot on, but the crystal in mine was a bit to much, and all my hop rates were a little low to counter the sweetness. Hopefully the adjustments I've made work in my favor on the one brewed a couple of days ago.
View attachment 11402 View attachment 11403
Nailed the color buddy!
We will require an update on the recent brew when it is pouring!

Wonder if you're experiencing what I do with Centennial hops? I always perceive an almost cloying sweetness in beers with a lot of Centennial hops. Even more so when using them alone, as in Two Hearted. The sweetness slowly goes away as the beer ages. Don't know why I only experience that with Centennial, but always have, regardless of the crop year or where they're sourced from.

Just curious, what is the particular taste that you get from Rye? I use 20% Rye in an IPA and I get a little color and help with head retention/foam. But I’ve never noticed any mythical spice or finger-pointing flavor from Rye malt. Admittedly, that could be explained by the malt I use, but I think Rye Malt = Spice is a bit of a homebrewer’s myth.
I'm the same, though I've got a mate that can always pick when I've used rye in the malt bill. No matter how much I badger him he can't describe it in a way that I can use. He just shrugs his shoulders and says he doesn't have any other words.

Wonder if you're experiencing what I do with Centennial hops? I always perceive an almost cloying sweetness in beers with a lot of Centennial hops. Even more so when using them alone, as in Two Hearted. The sweetness slowly goes away as the beer ages. Don't know why I only experience that with Centennial, but always have, regardless of the crop year or where they're sourced from.
You may very well be right on that. The commercial version definitely has a sweetness also, but it does have more of a bitter backbone. I'm hoping the new recipe balances it out more. We shall see soon!

The Centennial Summer Ale I brewed a couple of months ago was bittered with Warrior. Even though it got 2 oz. of Centennial at 10 and 2 more at 1, it didn't have nearly the sweetness I usually get once it was fully carbonated. Thinking the sweetness may be more a product of earlier additions of it. Maybe just a really soft bitterjng quality. Will need to keep track and see if I can figure it out. I love Centennial, but not the sweetness.

Back