What are you doing with homebrew today?

Could be the keg has more head space (by percentage), so more CO2 is needed?
Could be, but this keg was filled pretty full, and there seems no issue when I use a 1 litre pet bottle and fill it half.
There definitely was less than 0.5 litre space in the keg.
It just looks like sugar amount.
I had been told to only use 3-4 gram/litre instead of my usual 6-8.
This was 5 gr/l, so next one we'll go to 6 :)
It's no big deal as I can easily solve it by using some CO2...
But, inquiring minds want to find out

Could be, but this keg was filled pretty full, and there seems no issue when I use a 1 litre pet bottle and fill it half.
There definitely was less than 0.5 litre space in the keg.
It just looks like sugar amount.
I had been told to only use 3-4 gram/litre instead of my usual 6-8.
This was 5 gr/l, so next one we'll go to 6 :)
It's no big deal as I can easily solve it by using some CO2...
But, inquiring minds want to find out
You have a PRV, so don't sweat it, go ahead and over dose it?

Brewing cleaning and picking hops whilst the boils on Pick Pick Quick
20240224_130350.jpg

Not a bad yield
20240224_132353.jpg

I picked up grains, hops and yeast to brew an Amber Ale. There is a small window to brew this weekend before I return home to SoCal to help my brother as we tend to our ailing, elderly father. Brewing should provide a good diversion from the worries.

ETA - kettle is filled and brewing salts are added. Ready to brew in the morning.

Last edited:
I picked up grains, hops and yeast to brew an Amber Ale. There is a small window to brew this weekend before I return home to SoCal to help my brother as we tend to our ailing, elderly father. Brewing should provide a good diversion from the worries.
Sorry to hear that. If he is anything like you he is a good dude.

ETA - kettle is filled and brewing salts are added. Ready to brew in the morning.
Thoughts and prayers are with you Herm, I've been there my friend

That sux Herm!
Good idea to put a brew on a great distraction.

Slapped the rest in the Thermomix to blitz em 400g wet and it's been raining today so weighted down some
20240224_134040.jpg

@RoadRoach you asked what I do? Well I used a biab bag for brew day today to dump hops in boil and WP
20240224_133859.jpg

Blitzed in thermo (glorified supped up blender
20240224_135307.jpg

Oh a beautiful intoxicating aromas of hops a joy for a brewer to inhale lol!
And bagged 2 x 200g baggies
20240224_135904.jpg

These got plopped into the glycol chamber I'll dry hop one Into this wet hop bevvy the other for another batch

Mashing my latest Amber Ale. As I said yesterday, this is a great diversion from the worries that are clouding my mind. If I can get everything finished and cleaned up in a timely manner, then I will try to join some of you fine folks on Zoom for the monthly meeting.

Mashing my latest Amber Ale. As I said yesterday, this is a great diversion from the worries that are clouding my mind. If I can get everything finished and cleaned up in a timely manner, then I will try to join some of you fine folks on Zoom for the monthly meeting.
I have to say 2023 was probably my worst year in the twenty I have been in my current home. But last year continuing from 2022 was also one of the very best for brewing since I upped my game. That helped enormously.

Wishing good health to you and yours in this tough time.

image.jpg
Finishing up the brew day for Amber Ale. Ended up just over 2.5 gallons in the fermenter, maybe a couple points below recipe projection. The wort is in the hands of Wyeast 1056 now. We’ll see what we get in about 3 weeks. I think this will be going in the keg.

I tried a glass of my Zambezi Belgian.
Like my last one a full glass of foam.
My last two kegs I cold crashed and put on the rocking horse for 10 minutes at 30 pounds. I am wondering if this is is causing the excess carbonation.
How about Star San? If there was any that didnt pressure out???

It was over a week since the 30 pounds.
Sitting at about 6 pounds

It was over a week since the 30 pounds.
Sitting at about 6 pounds
I think to actually decrease the carbonation in the beer, you need to disconnect the gas, vent it, and let it off gas a few times.
I don't think the carbonation level will decrease much when it is still under pressure, even at a lower pressure.
The Co2 needs a place to go in order to come out of the beer.

Back