What are you doing with homebrew today?

This was from a couple hours after pitching last evening.
Started turning in the valve a bit at a time from last night to this morning, it is at 10PSI now, and fermenting at 39C.
There is still activity, but no krausen, will add a big dry addition later tonight, should have this on tap by Wednesday.
4.5% Hazy

1708200200828.png

I don't know I haven't tried "yet"!
It had over 40psi in it this morning I used that to carbonate some soda some more then put some pressure on my kegmenter it took it from 8 psi to about 12 psi but there is alot of head space in there.

So going by that I think such a small bottle is good for just adding pressure to other pet bottles and maybe adding carbonation pressure to a keg.

But I think a full size shank keg would easy do closed pressure transfer.

One thing you'd have to watch for is the krausen rises up the pet bottle when the pressure is released so that "could" transfer Into the recieving keg/pet bottle...

Last edited:
Not alot excites me these day with hombrewing anymore time does that to you ;) but this keg shank idea has me playing around like a mad scientist gas sh!t up with cheap homemade CO2!

Back at it this morning as above.

Well I noticed my little bottle has finished fermentation 24hrs since yesterday's little initial foray into this new to me world of using suger to make and store co2 for use In the homebrewery.

Took a gravity sample on the bread yeast sugar wash just to see where things went (no OG talen but it woulda been Fing high man).
20240218_115713.jpg

So as per old mates recommendations from the brulosophy channel I discarded half the sugar was liquid added some more nutrient, water and sugar and shook the crap outta it and pushed in the bottle to push out all the air.
20240218_115428.jpg

Shoit is really moving in there man like a little fermentation bomb!

Took it a but further rough video.

Hey was thinking if your going camping or on holidays this would be a great way of producing some carbonation co2 on demand...
I played your video so the missus could hear ya. She had a good giggle at your QLD accent and lingo. The closer we get to travelling, the more Aussie she's sounding, LOL. I think she's practicing when I can't hear her. Her brother (Port Pirie, SA) really stirs her up about her hillbilly Yank accent.

Back to the topic at hand, are you using that just for low demand carbonation? Or is it just an experiment? Are there any aromas (which would obviously affect flavor in the target vessel) in the CO2 from the mini-fermenter? Gonna need a bit more volume for transfer use. That little PET bottle isn't gonna make a whole lotta gas in a big hurry. No blow-off (pressure relief) on the PET bottle? That's gonna make a lotta noise if it blows, and a BIG mess.

I need to spend some time out in the shed playing with the fermenter to see how much pressure I can get away with on it. I think the vessel itself will be OK, but somehow think I'll launch the lid with very little pressure. Or it'll just leak around the o-ring. Even if I get just a couple PSI, it'll let me do pressure transfer with a floating dip tube rather than stirring up what SHOULD be going to the collection ball. What I do now leaves me with a lot less sediment in the bottles than I was getting with the buckets, and I know I can't eliminate it with bottle conditioning, but just seeing that little bit of cloudiness at the tailings of the fermenter makes me know I can improve. Moving the ball valve on the bottom of the fermenter during a transfer DEFINITELY turned into a fiasco last time I tried to cut off the last liter or so to avoid some clouding in the bottling bucket. Probably doubled or tripled the amount of trub contamination. Not that it hurts the flavor, just the presentation. If it was gonna hurt the flavor, woulda done so long before I bottle it.

I played your video so the missus could hear ya. She had a good giggle at your QLD accent and lingo. The closer we get to travelling, the more Aussie she's sounding, LOL. I think she's practicing when I can't hear her. Her brother (Port Pirie, SA) really stirs her up about her hillbilly Yank accent.

Back to the topic at hand, are you using that just for low demand carbonation? Or is it just an experiment? Are there any aromas (which would obviously affect flavor in the target vessel) in the CO2 from the mini-fermenter? Gonna need a bit more volume for transfer use. That little PET bottle isn't gonna make a whole lotta gas in a big hurry. No blow-off (pressure relief) on the PET bottle? That's gonna make a lotta noise if it blows, and a BIG mess.

I need to spend some time out in the shed playing with the fermenter to see how much pressure I can get away with on it. I think the vessel itself will be OK, but somehow think I'll launch the lid with very little pressure. Or it'll just leak around the o-ring. Even if I get just a couple PSI, it'll let me do pressure transfer with a floating dip tube rather than stirring up what SHOULD be going to the collection ball. What I do now leaves me with a lot less sediment in the bottles than I was getting with the buckets, and I know I can't eliminate it with bottle conditioning, but just seeing that little bit of cloudiness at the tailings of the fermenter makes me know I can improve. Moving the ball valve on the bottom of the fermenter during a transfer DEFINITELY turned into a fiasco last time I tried to cut off the last liter or so to avoid some clouding in the bottling bucket. Probably doubled or tripled the amount of trub contamination. Not that it hurts the flavor, just the presentation. If it was gonna hurt the flavor, woulda done so long before I bottle it.
No no PRV but if I do it on a keg I'll put a spunding valve on.

Yes just faffing around after watching that keg shank idea that old mate uses on the brulosophy channel he uses co2 from champagne yeast to carbonate his little oxbar kegs.
He doesn't have a co2 bottle just uses the co2 generated from the champagne fermentation.
Pretty Fing cool if you ask me man Bing such a cheap arse it had some big appeal for me.

Hence my quick little play trying it out in a little pet bottle with some bread yeast nutrient and sugar

I carbonated some ginger soda enough to got plenty of bubbles Mrs had some soda water and she sure liked it.

Not alot excites me these day with hombrewing anymore time does that to you ;) but this keg shank idea has me playing around like a mad scientist gas sh!t up with cheap homemade CO2!

Back at it this morning as above.

Well I noticed my little bottle has finished fermentation 24hrs since yesterday's little initial foray into this new to me world of using suger to make and store co2 for use In the homebrewery.

Took a gravity sample on the bread yeast sugar wash just to see where things went (no OG talen but it woulda been Fing high man).View attachment 28505

So as per old mates recommendations from the brulosophy channel I discarded half the sugar was liquid added some more nutrient, water and sugar and shook the crap outta it and pushed in the bottle to push out all the air.View attachment 28507

Shoit is really moving in there man like a little fermentation bomb!
Next step is to carefully calculate the cost of the sugar to make the CO2 and compare it to the cost of the same amount of CO2 from the gas distributor.

Of course, you could just stop at McDonalds (or wherever) and get a couple of them little sugar packets for free... but then you need to figure the cost of the gasoline to get there...

Next step is to carefully calculate the cost of the sugar to make the CO2 and compare it to the cost of the same amount of CO2 from the gas distributor.

Of course, you could just stop at McDonalds (or wherever) and get a couple of them little sugar packets for free... but then you need to figure the cost of the gasoline to get there...
Last night I pushed some sanitizer outta the recieving keg for the Belgian beer using the pet bottle so little things like purging kegs and adding a little co2 Pressure to kegs and such is a breeze.

I have one bottle inside my keezer so to pressurise anything is a tiny bit of a PITA this way I've got a portable co2 vessel.

I'm already thinking of getting a 2lt coke bottle just for that little extra push.

If it goes boom it's all plastic.

But I've pressurised them till the bottoms pushed out without any boomboom so...

Last Friday's 4.5% hazy is done and nearing serving temperature. Waiting for some Co2 to off gas to check FG, will keg it later tonight. Tastes pretty amazing! Kind of spring like here right now:)
View attachment 28548
Lookin great Craig.

Your definition of spring and my spring are to completely different things I can see snow in the background! :D

I moved my keg to the fridge.
Naturally carbed. Sitting steady at around 18 psi, but will obviously drop when cooled. But it should only need a little CO2 to come up to the right amount of bubbles

Adding bursts of CO2 to my sugar carbonated keg to get to the "right" amount. Almost there.
Still baffles me how this goes okay when bottling, but needs topping up when using a keg.
So next one will get the same amount of sugar per litre as what I would use in a bottle, despite being told that I shouldn't.
In the worst case I'll be testing if the prv works :)

Adding bursts of CO2 to my sugar carbonated keg to get to the "right" amount. Almost there.
Still baffles me how this goes okay when bottling, but needs topping up when using a keg.
So next one will get the same amount of sugar per litre as what I would use in a bottle, despite being told that I shouldn't.
In the worst case I'll be testing if the prv works :)
Could be the keg has more head space (by percentage), so more CO2 is needed?

Back