What are you doing with homebrew today?

:eek::eek:
Poor attenuation is usually a wort issue or a yeast issue. How fermentable was the wort (recipe), how long and hot of a mash, how young and healthy was the yeast, how was the yeast handled, what temp was the yeast pitched at...and so many other factors. You might be able to point a finger at one thing or another or it could be a whole combination of little issues.
Hmmm. The White Labs yeast had an expiration date of January 2022, but it did take more than 36 hours to even start bubbling.

The wort should've been plenty fermentable (see the recipe, you tell me). My process was consistent with the usual, allowed the yeast to reach room temp, pitched when wort was close to ferm temp, but ah! :eek:

Just after pitching (67F) the fermenter went down to 62 or so, apparently due to thermal lag between the sensor and the fridge. That corrected itself in 12 hours, and I attributed the ling yeast lag to that. Maybe I injured them??

My first guess is too many specialty grains and not enough base malt. I think you could keep the same yeast, but try the recipe again making sure to have at least 80% base malt. I did some reading and WLP005 is supposed to be a good attenuator for a British yeast (low 70s% on avg)
Hm. Over 70% was maris otter, are carabrown and crystal not considered base malts (due to their high ppg)?

Hm. Over 70% was maris otter, are carabrown and crystal not considered base malts (due to their high ppg)?
They are not base malts

From Briess, a list of steepable malts, aka not base malts
Screenshot_20210911-105741_Chrome.jpg

@Donoroto to be honest, I’ve brewed Janet’s Brown only twice. From my notes from the first batch, I started my mash at 154*F, and ended at 152, back when I could put my 3 gallon kettle in the oven during the mash. I loved the first batch, which was fermented with a third generation US-05 slurry. That beer attenuated a little over 77%, back in the waning days of my 1.5 gallon batches.
The second time I brewed it, I was using my new 5.5 gallon kettle, so my process was a little different. This was just the third brew with my new kettle, and I don’t think I had everything dialed in at that point. My mash target was 154, but my notes indicate starting at 158 (trouble right there), and finishing at 151. I also changed my base malt from US 2-row to US pale ale malt, and used Lalbrew Voss (dry). Apparent attenuation on that brew was 70%. I was not very impressed with the second batch, so put a six pack away to see if time would improve the beer. I just put a bottle in the fridge to check for improvement.
I fully intend to do another batch, and expect results closer to my first batch.

My first guess is too many specialty grains and not enough base malt. I think you could keep the same yeast, but try the recipe again making sure to have at least 80% base malt. I did some reading and WLP005 is supposed to be a good attenuator for a British yeast (low 70s% on avg)
I think the base malt needs to be above 75% - on both of my Janet’s Brown batches, my base malt was ~76%. Character/specialty malts do seem a little busy in Don’s recipe. But if he likes his beer, so be it.

Sampling my Elvis Juice recipe, my favorite pale ale by the way
https://brewdogrecipes.com/recipes/elvis-juice-v2-0

View attachment 17371
Is this in the vein of the Brewdog version? I like that

got Piwo transfer, wow it’s...different. I’m crashing what’s left in the fermenting keg to get a cold sample to taste. Mine is still heavy in the bacon/smoke. The brewing salt additions are evident. I think this will be awesome cold and outside watching a fire

its just the same taste as in a can, you can buy it locally, really the key is the dry hops, my recipe has mosaic in the dry hop section

I think the base malt needs to be above 75% - on both of my Janet’s Brown batches, my base malt was ~76%. Character/specialty malts do seem a little busy in Don’s recipe. But if he likes his beer, so be it.
Thanks for the great comments. Yeah, tasty, but will adjust the recipe a bit in search of better attenuation.

This is why I love this forum...

how about fun with flora

In the first video, I just cringe. Why, when there is a nice rack at waist level, does the woman assemble her new tool on the floor? Just a pet peeve of mine. I am certain that if my wife was assembling some new tool, it would be on the floor with her doubled over at the waist. End of rant.

In the first video, I just cringe. Why, when there is a nice rack at waist level, does the woman assemble her new tool on the floor? Just a pet peeve of mine. I am certain that if my wife was assembling some new tool, it would be on the floor with her doubled over at the waist. End of rant.
They like to hurt their back.

The wheat is for body, chocolate wheat for "brown" flavor, as is the chocolate barley. I'll think on it, but more barley

Chilling the wort. Decent brew day. A little more active with stuff to do than I’d like, (cleaning a keg etc) definitely on the darker end for the style.

Back