What are you doing with homebrew today?

Found a little more ambition, took the Sterling out of the oast and packaged in a ziplock. Picked the 2 lonely Cluster bines in the back yard...if I had only caught the other(we shall not speak of how many) bines at this stage...wound up with about half a 5 gallon bucket of the most wonderful smelling hops I've picked all year. And so ends the hop harvest of 2021.
Bigger and better next year eh;)
Sounds like you've had a good harvest anyhow.

Makes you glad to have the foresight to use the blowoff tube. Imagine the mess without.
I am wondering how the fermentation of my IPA of the 3 C’s is proceeding. When I left for work this morning, the blowoff tube was pushing multiple bubbles per second. We’ll see shortly.
No problems here at home. Bubbling has slowed a little, so I removed blowoff tube in exchange for a regular Speidel airlock. Closet smells pleasantly yeasty.

Doing my first fully closed loop transfer using the gas pressure difference to create continuous flow from kegmenter to keg.
Resized_20210908_194409.jpeg

It's a slow process it's been 30mins so far but the recieving keg back right is getting pretty heavy!:D
I'm like a kid in a candy store

This is what I'm doing if you wanna know more

Those hoses look pretty small Ben. I use 1/2" (12 mm) silicone hose for transfers, takes about 5 minutes for 19 liters.
I'd 4mm that's my EVA barrier beer / gas line fits my duo tight disconnects. The 4mm I'd line helps with line serving ballance also can run high serving / carb pressure.

Took a bit of faffing about the transfer stopped twice so I pulled the prv on the recieving keg to get things going again. All things well It used pretty much it's on pressure.

Waiting... Piwo is at 1.010 now sitting at 68 degrees with 15 psi. I took off my spunding valve so anything else put off is free co2. Didn’t have as much sulphur last night, the last time I let out some pressure.

Today I am wondering why my Brown Ale only attenuated 50% using White Labs WLP005 British Ale yeast. The hydrometer sample tasted exactly how I was trying for, but OG was 1.052 and FG is 1.026, both at 60F. I fermented at 68F, let it sit 12 days (The tilt said it was done on day six) but for the life of me I can't see why it didn't attenuate just a bit more (Was expecting 65%).

Ideas?

Today I am wondering why my Brown Ale only attenuated 50% using White Labs WLP005 British Ale yeast. The hydrometer sample tasted exactly how I was trying for, but OG was 1.052 and FG is 1.026, both at 60F. I fermented at 68F, let it sit 12 days (The tilt said it was done on day six) but for the life of me I can't see why it didn't attenuate just a bit more (Was expecting 65%).

Ideas?
Mash temperature too high?

Mash temperature too high?
I dunno. Single temperature (153F) infusion, not so easy to screw it up. But good info, hadn't thought of that.

My process uses a Brewzilla 35 with near-continuous recirculation and a thermometer 1/3 into the grain bed as a double-check. It did go up to 155F for a dozen minutes, can it be that sensitive?

@Herm_brews Several elements of your brown recipe were included, what do you usually see for attenuation? Ditto @Josh Hughes
(Oh, and by the way, the hydrometer sample tasted WONderful, I can't wait until it is carbed, later today...)

Ideas?
Did you post the recipe Don?

I dunno. Single temperature (153F) infusion, not so easy to screw it up. But good info, hadn't thought of that.

My process uses a Brewzilla 35 with near-continuous recirculation and a thermometer 1/3 into the grain bed as a double-check. It did go up to 155F for a dozen minutes, can it be that sensitive?

@Herm_brews Several elements of your brown recipe were included, what do you usually see for attenuation? Ditto @Josh Hughes
(Oh, and by the way, the hydrometer sample tasted WONderful, I can't wait until it is carbed, later today...)
Usually 75% for me using Imperial Pub. English yeasts aren’t usually much better than 70%, at least the ones I’ve used or checked on. I don’t know enough about anything on attenuation. Once thing I’ve noticed is some of the beers that for me attenuated lower, even much lower didn’t taste any worse than I was expecting haha.
This afternoon I will brew an 80 Shilling. I call it Tolbooth 80 Shilling since when I was in Edinburgh it was the first pub we ate/drank at.

Ideas?
Poor attenuation is usually a wort issue or a yeast issue. How fermentable was the wort (recipe), how long and hot of a mash, how young and healthy was the yeast, how was the yeast handled, what temp was the yeast pitched at...and so many other factors. You might be able to point a finger at one thing or another or it could be a whole combination of little issues.

Back