What are you doing with homebrew today?

I was worried that my kveik fermentation was showing zero signs of action after 5 hours post-pitch (I know, DWRHAHB, but it's kveik yeast it should be rolling already :rolleyes:). Went to check the fermenter yet again and noticed that the tilt hydrometer looked a little fuzzy...gave the fermenter a small shake and all of a sudden yeast rafts started rising up to the surface, hallelujah! Cheers to Odin, Thor, Freya, and any other Norsk entities that deserve praise :D

Today I am wondering why my Brown Ale only attenuated 50% using White Labs WLP005 British Ale yeast. The hydrometer sample tasted exactly how I was trying for, but OG was 1.052 and FG is 1.026, both at 60F. I fermented at 68F, let it sit 12 days (The tilt said it was done on day six) but for the life of me I can't see why it didn't attenuate just a bit more (Was expecting 65%).

Ideas?
I think I have it figured out: I oxygenated for the liquid yeast when the wort was at about 80°F. But I didn't pitch the yeast until it had cooled down to about 67, which was a couple hours later. I think what might've happened is not enough oxygen for the yeast combined with perhaps insufficient base malt. I'll change it up next time and see what happens.

Good thoughts Don. I always oxygenate by shaking the fermenter, just before pitching the yeast.

Here is a hydrometer sample of the Belgian golden ale. Had a sample of the IPA but drank it before I could get a picture
20210913_200817.jpg

Monitoring the IPA fermentation, waiting for a tracking number for the bottles I ordered, and deciding what my next brews will be after the cream ale. I'd like to try a grisette and I emailed the brewery where I tried one a couple years ago to see if they will divulge any info about theirs that I enjoyed a lot. @Nosybear I would love to take a look at your recipe too if that's alright :)

I'm leaning towards a French saison yeast because I've heard they're less "saisony" than the belgian strains. I've also done some reading about the new Lalbrew Farmhouse ale strain and Omega Gulo Ale strain, both seem interesting. The Lalbrew is a high attenuator and non-diastatic strain and the Omega Gulo is a hybrid of Irish ale yeast and French Saison yeast that is also a high attenuator with diastaticus present but is supposed to be very clean and dry without the peppery phenols.

Back