What are you doing with homebrew today?

I am mashing IPA of 3 C’s. A while back, I changed my mash procedure, eliminating the every 15 minutes temperature checks and stirring and refractometer sampling. Now I dough in, thoroughly stir the grains to ensure there are no clumps, then cover the kettle and wrap it in fleece blanket and pullover, and wait for 60 minutes. It is pretty low key and relaxed. I think I’ll pour a beer.

Grinding up a bucket of grain for an American AmberAle tomorrow.
20210906_151922.jpg

Keep working on her Herm! It took me 37 years but Wifie now likes the dark stuff! There is hope!
My wife will always taste what I brew. Lately she has asked me to “surprise” her with something. She liked my Oktoberfest and Dunkel. Last night while playing cards she kept taking sips of my “Manchester Gold” so I to get her some of her own. Slow process

Mash is complete on IPA of the 3 C’s, and refractometer sample is right on target at 12.9*Brix/1.052+ SG
Pre-boil volume is just a bit high, but I’ll let that ride, knowing there will be some loss to dry hops.
The wort is now boiling, and bittering charge of Warrior hops has been added.

My wife will always taste what I brew. Lately she has asked me to “surprise” her with something. She liked my Oktoberfest and Dunkel. Last night while playing cards she kept taking sips of my “Manchester Gold” so I to get her some of her own. Slow process
Build a recipe for her and name after her.

So I’ve talked about this BrewBox I got https://www.brewingtools.com/product/single-beerbox/
Sunday I transferred the beer to it and added my sugar. Possible I had more sugar than it called for, but, today it was swelled up and leaking. It was not this morning. It will swell when carbonating but this shouldn’t happen after 2 days. The beer tastes different than it did Sunday which is understandable. I get a hint of sour. My wife tasted it too. It is fruitier than it was. I took off the spigot, gave it a spray of star San then put it back on. Going to give it the 2 weeks and then refrigerate and give a verdict. I bought this thing after I had been brewing a few months and knew no better. Sure user error but wish I’d just got a kegging system then instead of this. Buddy and I split a batch, we each have a brewbox.

Cold crashing the brown ale. Connected the CO2 at 3 psi to prevent any suckback. And, for the second time in as many brews, got krausen out the blowoff tube. The sanitizer was light brown, the hose full of dark brown crud coating.
Makes you glad to have the foresight to use the blowoff tube. Imagine the mess without.
I am wondering how the fermentation of my IPA of the 3 C’s is proceeding. When I left for work this morning, the blowoff tube was pushing multiple bubbles per second. We’ll see shortly.

Found a little more ambition, took the Sterling out of the oast and packaged in a ziplock. Picked the 2 lonely Cluster bines in the back yard...if I had only caught the other(we shall not speak of how many) bines at this stage...wound up with about half a 5 gallon bucket of the most wonderful smelling hops I've picked all year. And so ends the hop harvest of 2021.

Back