What are you doing with homebrew today?

See that's the issue, I have no technical know how, I have a small sense of traditional recipes, but I just mosey along and try stuff. That's why I'll prolly never enter a beer in a competition.
But fruit can't hurt either. Ok, maybe if someone whings one at ya...

See that's the issue, I have no technical know how, I have a small sense of traditional recipes, but I just mosey along and try stuff. That's why I'll prolly never enter a beer in a competition.
Hey it's summer, fruit all that stuff up!:D:D:D
Ellicottville brewing makes a blood orange Hefeweizen I really like

Watching my Dunkelweizen sit at 1.025 for the second straight day. Brewed on Monday. Should have been only a few points left by this point. Not sure what is going on with it. The first night the temp got down to 60 since we had a cold night but it warmed up that next day and took off. Only attenuated about 50% :(

Watching my Dunkelweizen sit at 1.025 for the second straight day. Brewed on Monday. Should have been only a few points left by this point. Not sure what is going on with it. The first night the temp got down to 60 since we had a cold night but it warmed up that next day and took off. Only attenuated about 50% :(

What is the current fermentation temperature? Unless it's already at the high end for the yeast, see if you can kick them in the pants by putting a heating pad around it the fermenter. If you don't have a temp controller, then just do it during the day when you can monitor the temperature. And set a timer so you don't forget to check it!

What is the current fermentation temperature? Unless it's already at the high end for the yeast, see if you can kick them in the pants by putting a heating pad around it the fermenter. If you don't have a temp controller, then just do it during the day when you can monitor the temperature. And set a timer so you don't forget to check it!
68. Been upper 60s the entire time except that first morning where it dropped to 60. I’m using Lallamand Munich. 64-70 is there ideal.
I am fermenting in a keg and I have to bleed off some pressure periodically since I didn’t want to suppress any eaters. Think the pressure from the first night and cold temps mixed to create a poor environment the yeast couldn’t come back from? Should I maybe add some sugar to kick it back in?

That may be as far as it's going. You're using a lot of wheat which means you have (likely) a good bit of glucans, upping the gravity. Or it may just be a low attenuating yeast. Or you might have mashed too warm.... Many reasons for this kind of result.

That may be as far as it's going. You're using a lot of wheat which means you have (likely) a good bit of glucans, upping the gravity. Or it may just be a low attenuating yeast. Or you might have mashed too warm.... Many reasons for this kind of result.
Never used this yeast so toss up. Mashed 150-152. I was at 50% wheat and it was double crushed. Oh well I will have beer...just probably not the beer I wanted.

Your mash temp was fine. Your fermentation temp was fine. You even roused the yeast. And Lallemand's website says this yeast's attenuation is medium to high. So I am really surprised at 50% attenuation. Could fermenting under pressure reduce attenuation? Maybe that in addition to increased glucans from the yeast as @Nosybear suggested?

Warm it up a bit, maybe 72. Wait 4 days too.

Is that the Tilt reading? That could be way off too. Mine are invariably inaccurate.

Yes my tilt but...mine is always right when I check with a hydrometer. There is usually a nice track able drop. This batch dropped then stopped after 2 days. I’ll try to get it warmer. Leaving for vacation Saturday so there is no rush on it. I was hoping to hit FG then leave while it carbs in the keg. Oh well if it sucks I’ll brew again anyway:)
Warm it up a bit, maybe 72. Wait 4 days too.

Is that the Tilt reading? That could be way off too. Mine are invariably inaccurate.

@Donoroto you May be correct about the tilt. Yesterday I did have to bleed a lot of co2 off but gravity didn’t show a drop. So I could be fine and just think I’m not. Battery could be low or yeast and gunk on it.

Last edited:
@Donoroto you May be correct about the tilt. Yesterday I did have to bleed a lot of co2 off but gravity didn’t show a drop. So I could be fine and just think I’m not. Battery could be low or yeast and gunk on it.
Battery should be good for over a year. Gunk, well, I get a lot of that, changing the reading. Let it sit, when you get back it'll be done.

I just got done up loading two recipes to the AHA. I won 2 silver medals in the AHA Nationals this last weekend. One for an American Lager and the other for an International Lager. The first place winner in the American Lager went on to win BOS and Homebrewer of the year, pretty tough competition in that category. This is the first time I managed to win anything in Nationals, so I'm pretty grateful.

I think I screwed the uploads to AHA up, but we'll see.

Here's the recipes:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1166674/international-harvester

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/216382/stardard-american-lager-ii
Congrats

I haven’t checked yet, but I’m quite certain that fermentation is done as all signs point that way. Krausen dropped, temp cooled down and has held steady, sediment is now piled high, no airlock activity. None of those by themselves prove anything, but all of them together is enough for me. It will be 2 weeks in primary when I will check final gravity on Sunday and bottle then.
Decided to bottle today because I had some time.
BRY-97 took this Barleywine* from 1.096 to 1.012 in 2 weeks. WTF? That’s about 88% attenuation and 11% ABV. That was 2 packs of yeast in 3 gallons. Probably an over pitch. Sample taste was pretty nice though, a bit hoppy, and obvious boozy notes. But kind of reminded me of a Pale Ale (on steroids :) ). I got 20 bottles and set them in the back closet with the Christmas decorations.

* I think the attenuation takes this out of style for a BW, but I really don’t know what else to call it.

6F47C439-2B73-4C95-AB6D-DC0E522F1D58.jpeg

BC4DC552-36CC-4E0C-BA09-3087F86505F2.jpeg

Decided to bottle today because I had some time.
BRY-97 took this Barleywine* from 1.096 to 1.012 in 2 weeks. WTF? That’s about 88% attenuation and 11% ABV. That was 2 packs of yeast in 3 gallons. Probably an over pitch. Sample taste was pretty nice though, a bit hoppy, and obvious boozy notes. But kind of reminded me of a Pale Ale (on steroids :) ). I got 20 bottles and set them in the back closet with the Christmas decorations.

* I think the attenuation takes this out of style for a BW, but I really don’t know what else to call it.

View attachment 16381

View attachment 16382
You Da Man MEGARY!

Back