What are you doing with homebrew today?

Congratulations @HighVoltageMan!

today I am brewing my first all grain (BIAB) 5 gallon batch. The buddy I planned to brew with, covid meant I went solo and I are finally brewing. Using propane. Any tips that I need to know due to a batch size twice the size and different equipment? I don’t want to screw up when he for some reason will think I I know what I’m doing lol. Water amount concerns me since I have no clue about boil off using a large kettle and propane burner. I know there are calculators but I don’t know rate with the equipment.

I just got done up loading two recipes to the AHA. I won 2 silver medals in the AHA Nationals this last weekend. One for an American Lager and the other for an International Lager. The first place winner in the American Lager went on to win BOS and Homebrewer of the year, pretty tough competition in that category. This is the first time I managed to win anything in Nationals, so I'm pretty grateful.

I think I screwed the uploads to AHA up, but we'll see.

Here's the recipes:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1166674/international-harvester

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/216382/stardard-american-lager-ii
Hell yeah man great work they look some pretty simple recipies.
Note to self simplify lager recipies it's all about the process.

Any tips that I need to know due to a batch size twice the size and different equipment? I don’t want to screw up when he for some reason will think I I know what I’m doing lol. Water amount concerns me since I have no clue about boil off using a large kettle and propane burner. I know there are calculators but I don’t know rate with the equipment.
Mash is pretty much the same.

Boil: mostly same, but with propane be mindful of your boil off rate, turn down the flame if necessary. Check at 30 minutes.

If necessary, have some water available to add to the boil kettle after the boil but before cooling, to adjust the OG and/or volume. Doesn't have to be boiled, the hot wort will sanitize it.

You got this :cool:

today I am brewing my first all grain (BIAB) 5 gallon batch. The buddy I planned to brew with, covid meant I went solo and I are finally brewing. Using propane. Any tips that I need to know due to a batch size twice the size and different equipment? I don’t want to screw up when he for some reason will think I I know what I’m doing lol. Water amount concerns me since I have no clue about boil off using a large kettle and propane burner. I know there are calculators but I don’t know rate with the equipment.
Take your time. A friend of mine likes lots of flame, when I saw him boiling his wort, I called it a”re-entry boil”. The flames were shooting out from the bottom of the pot, it looked like a space ship re-entering earth’s atmosphere. Don’t do that.

Remember, your more likely than not to make beer and as long as you keep the drinking down to a reasonable level, a fine beer it will be.

Have one hand next to the propane tank valve when you are getting close to a boil and are seeing the foam cap starting to cover the entire surface. Killing the gas will almost instantly kill the boil if you are about to boil over. I also use a spoon to keep a whole in the foam cap. Gives the heat a place to escape. Apart from that, and of course the weight of the wet grains, I think the only change you'll notice is the length of time it takes to chill the wort.

Just trying to mimick the roll of the boil that you are accustomed to, that will help. Kettle diameter, and level of humidity also play a roll. You can top up with water, boil longer, and or add DME if necessary to adjust your gravity if necessary.

Trying to remember my boil off on gas I'm sure it was 3lt / hour so I think that's a gallon.

I’m soaking bottles in some ABW and hot water. They were cleaned when put away a couple of years ago, but this will make me feel better. I’ll close the cooler and let them soak overnight.

Bottling an American Barleywine this weekend.

98B73C4E-A358-488B-B41E-D407202F0EEB.jpeg

I’m soaking bottles in some ABW and hot water. They were cleaned when put away a couple of years ago, but this will make me feel better. I’ll close the cooler and let them soak overnight.

Bottling an American Barleywine this weekend.

View attachment 16326
Gee that ripped through the gravity what did it end up at Megary?

Gee that ripped through the gravity what did it end up at Megary?
I haven’t checked yet, but I’m quite certain that fermentation is done as all signs point that way. Krausen dropped, temp cooled down and has held steady, sediment is now piled high, no airlock activity. None of those by themselves prove anything, but all of them together is enough for me. It will be 2 weeks in primary when I will check final gravity on Sunday and bottle then.

I kegged my hefeweizen before work this am. Forgot to put the orange zest in. Oh yeah we didn't have any oranges. Will do that tomorrow.
Zest straight in keg at packaging aye should bring out the orange flavour

I kegged my hefeweizen before work this am. Forgot to put the orange zest in. Oh yeah we didn't have any oranges. Will do that tomorrow.
Technically you don't need any. Weissbiere often get fruited, hefeweitzens very rarely do. But I'm not the one drinking it :rolleyes:

I’m observing an active fermentation of Man Piss Switch, and marveling on the aroma of banana in my fermentation closet. It’s a cool thing that my first yeast starter is chewing through wort, making beer of a different sort than my usual brews. Hopefully this fermentation without temperature control produces a favorable result. Whatever the case, it will be beer.
I just checked again in the closet, and it hit me - a smell from childhood, playing baseball, when we were given bubble gum to chew through the game.

Pretty good brew day. Took about 5 hours counting cleaning. @BarbarianBrewer i did have to stir as it about boiled over. @Donoroto i did have to top off, about a gallon since the kettle wouldn’t hold enough to hit 5.5 in the fermenter. @Craigerrr good ideas on Mimicking rolling boil on my usual kettle. @HighVoltageMan! i cut myself off In time haha.

Technically you don't need any. Weissbiere often get fruited, hefeweitzens very rarely do. But I'm not the one drinking it :rolleyes:
See that's the issue, I have no technical know how, I have a small sense of traditional recipes, but I just mosey along and try stuff. That's why I'll prolly never enter a beer in a competition.

Back