What are you doing with homebrew today?

I use a long line for transferring from kettle straight into fermenter nothing wrong with too much length.
Other than losses, no, nothing wrong with it. I'm using 1/2" line, so the losses will add up pretty quick. I can already see that I need to find a way to bleed the hoses to minimize loss. 2 meters of 1/2" (13mm) line is a bit of a loss.

Hmmm, didn't see it while the wort was hot, but apparently the cacao nibs were pretty oily. Wicked slick on the batch when I got it chilled down. Good bit of it caked up in my baster that I used to fill my sample cylinder. Took a bit of hot water and some brushing to get rid of that. Gonna have some pretty wicked cleanup to do after fermentation, depending on how much of the oil transferred to the fermenter. I think I separated most of it and left it in the kettle, but no idea how much was in suspension. The IC didn't seem oily or gooey, though, so maybe I'll get away with it. All I can do is wait now. Smelled scrumptious when I capped it off. Temperature headed in the right direction already. Dropped 2 degrees since I transferred and closed up the freezer. Gonna hold it at 65 for a while, then probably bump it to 70 the day before I bottle.

Other than losses, no, nothing wrong with it. I'm using 1/2" line, so the losses will add up pretty quick. I can already see that I need to find a way to bleed the hoses to minimize loss. 2 meters of 1/2" (13mm) line is a bit of a loss.
Exactly the same line I use losses are part of brewing Roadie you just gotta factor it into your profile

Exactly the same line I use losses are part of brewing Roadie you just gotta factor it into your profile
Yeah, I know. I'm just stingy, LOL.

You probably use all ball-lock fittings for your hoses, right? Should be less losses with that arrangement because the line can be disconnected and it will seal itself, and is also handy for purging with CO2 to collect as much as possible of the line contents. Not so much with the standard QD's I have, but they sure are easy to flush and clean. Nothing to disassemble. I figure all the hot-side stuff is pretty much self-sanitizing, but I still saturate with StarSan before and after use. I'm already working on a purge connection. Figuring my next purchase will likely be a CO2 tank and regulator. Then I can do silly things like pressure transfer into the bottling bucket, etc. It'll probably be that step toward kegging, but I'm likely gonna have to use small kegs that what refrigeration I have can accommodate. They're not cheap.

I can accept and minimize losses (but I also know I can't eliminate them) mostly by figuring out optimal equipment placement so that the lines gravity drain before disconnecting. It just gripes me some to lose something I put that much work into, so I put in a bit more work to prevent it. However, best equipment arrangement for loss prevention isn't easily doable with the fermenter (the one I have) sitting in the freezer when I transfer from kettle. Longer lines would let me handle that a bit better, but that would be counter productive to moving the hardware to conserve the wort. Filling the fermenter sitting in the freezer sure makes it a lot easier on a bad back.

I've been in constant intense sciatic pain in my left leg for the last 3 weeks. OTC pain releif takes the edge off, but it still hurts. A LOT. Desiccated discs at L2/L3 and L4/L5, and bulging disc at L3/L4. Lots of arthritic wear and tear, too. Been dealing with a deteriorating back for about 20 years now, and it's part of what got me forcibly retired last year. Lately, it feels like someone hit me in the shin with a baseball bat and then ripped my whole leg off to beat me with the soggy end. Been putting off back surgery for many years but looks like there's no avoiding it much longer. Not getting much sleep lately, so getting a big grumpy. Time to throw in the towel, I guess.

Last edited:
Hard to like the last part of your post Roadie.
Hang in there, hope all goes well

@RoadRoach inhad back surgery at 26 due to a ruptured disc. Glad I did or I’d probably not be walking but dragging my right leg. That was 16 years ago. Technology and medicine have improved since then. May be time….

disclaimer, I am not a doctor

I've been in constant intense sciatic pain in my left leg for the last 3 weeks. OTC pain releif takes the edge off, but it still hurts. A LOT. Desiccated discs at L2/L3 and L4/L5, and bulging disc at L3/L4. Lots of arthritic wear and tear, too. Been dealing with a deteriorating back for about 20 years now, and it's part of what got me forcibly retired last year. Lately, it feels like someone hit me in the shin with a baseball bat and then ripped my whole leg off to beat me with the soggy end. Been putting off back surgery for many years but looks like there's no avoiding it much longer. Not getting much sleep lately, so getting a big grumpy. Time to throw in the towel, I guess.

@RoadRoach, I don't have your back issues and I'm not a doctor but I do think you should get your back taken care of. It's not like your just suffering from aches and pains of getting older. You've got a major problem there. :(

Yeah, It's time. I had the first major issue back in 2007, which put me on my knees in the middle of a paper mill during a maintenance outage, but I've had lower backaches for a lot longer than that. I figure I've done pretty good avoiding the knife for 15 years. Time catches us all. I try to keep a positive attitude, but the sleep deprivation is probably bothering me a lot more than the pain. Last night was a series of 15 minute naps with very little real sleep. I get a bit grumpy from that.

Thanks all for the well wishes and well-intended advice, I had already scheduled an appointment with the orthopedic doctor this morning when I got up. He's had the honor of doing 3 rotator cuff surgeries and 7 epidurals, and MONTHS of PT for my neck and back in the past 20 years. Gotta hold out until the 18th before I can get in to see him. The missus knows how hard-headed I am about giving money to doctors, so when she heard me call, she simply said "It's about time." She's been watching me hobble around here less and less capable for long enough. It's hard to watch your physical abilities fade away, that's for sure. Growin' old ain't for sissies.

Some pryeorities pale ale while the kolsch batch comes to a boil. Prost!
20221007_104133.jpg

Sounds like Midnight Wheat available here, very useful malt.

Weighed up grains for my Gobsmack IPA, first brew with the new Crankandstein geared 3 roller in the AM.
Yeah i like midnight wheat more now that I've tried this one yes is clean roast but I'm leaning towards midnight wheat in a lager over the Gladfield eclipse I don't know it's just not as clean roast maybe it's a tad chocolaty but still a great substitute I've used midnight and eclipse wheat In the schwartz bier.

Took hydro sample of my Munich lager 1.008 (83% attenuation)oh so soft and malty it's tasting

20221008_121340.jpg

I'm really searching here for any infections I mighta stuffed my international lager up :((will post a thread on this later ) and I used that yeast cake to ferment this lager so I was really nervous tasting the sample here today.

But to my pallet this sample is screaming cold crash me and keg me up dude I'm ready to go!:D

Today my wife and I hiked to the lake that is the headwaters of the river which is the source of our drinking water. This is my new brewing water. It comes from a place in Central Oregon. Clear Lake feeds the McKenzie River, which flows west toward Eugene. Clear Lake certainly lived up to its name, at least for the small part of the lake we saw. And the magnificent trees! Pictures don’t do justice to what my eyes saw today.
5C17659A-49B6-4703-90C8-E06B8B2551D2.jpeg

Think I may have spaced it and shorted my grain bill this morning. Didn't have enough pale high color so I weighed up what I had and made up the difference with Briess Pale Ale, thinking I may have weighed it up 12 oz light. Not positive, hadn't had my coffee yet, guess I'll just see what the OG looks like.

Trying to remember if I had the math right last night, used my oz scale instead of my pound scale. Hopefully my "head math" was properly calibrated.

Think I may have spaced it and shorted my grain bill this morning. Didn't have enough pale high color so I weighed up what I had and made up the difference with Briess Pale Ale, thinking I may have weighed it up 12 oz light. Not positive, hadn't had my coffee yet, guess I'll just see what the OG looks like.

Trying to remember if I had the math right last night, used my oz scale instead of my pound scale. Hopefully my "head math" was properly calibrated.
Nope, didn't space it, in fact efficiency is WAY up. With my old mill(HullWrecker) set at .035" I was getting pretty consistent 73% Brew House(74-75 with a double batch sparge). First batch with the Crankandstein 3GT(set at .035"), 80% with a single batch sparge.

Back