What are you doing with homebrew today?

I love this forum! Post a question, get lots of worthy answers. I’m going with @BarbarianBrewer recommendation. Tonight I will draw 4 gallons into my kettle, and let whatever chlorine is present vent to the atmosphere. Tomorrow I will make wort, and then yeast will make my beer.
Thanks all for your responses.

I love this forum! Post a question, get lots of worthy answers. I’m going with @BarbarianBrewer recommendation. Tonight I will draw 4 gallons into my kettle, and let whatever chlorine is present vent to the atmosphere. Tomorrow I will make wort, and then yeast will make my beer.
Thanks all for your responses.
Super excited for you Herm! Can't wait to see your brew. I'll also be brewing tomorrow :)

Made a 2-liter WLP004 starter for the upcoming Oatmeal Stout. Hoping I get a viable pitch from this, but it's more an experiment to see how badly the yeast was damaged because I had a senior moment on the day I bought it and forgot to take it out of the truck. It was quite hot that day, too. Smelled OK when I opened the smackpack this morning to pitch into the starter. If it turns into pig swill, I've got another fresh smackpack (that I did not let get hot) and plenty Pils DME to do it again. At worst, I wasted a half pound of DME. Gonna try something a little different and keep the temp at 67F while the starter's growing. My logic is that if I need to keep it cool while fermenting, then I should keep the starter cool while the yeast is growing too. Let's see what happens. Then, to decant, or not to decant, that is the question. Any thoughts or preferences? Probably going to ferment somewhere around 63-65 F. I'm figuring to let the starter sit until Saturday, and brew before/during the Bama game.

Gonna order some more plumbing parts and other goodies this afternoon to make up hoses and maybe try a BIAB batch with the stout this time. Any recommendations on hose disconnects would be appreciated before I push the button on what I have selected. I want to build up an arsenal for my cleaning as well as add some other skills to my collection. More on those things when I start doing them.

image.jpg
I just milled my grains to brew an amber ale. This is the first use of my new Evil Twin roller mill. The grains were double milled for my BIAB process, and the results look good with a fair amount of flour. Strike water is heating over the largest element on my electric stove.

View attachment 22460 I just milled my grains to brew an amber ale. This is the first use of my new Evil Twin roller mill. The grains were double milled for my BIAB process, and the results look good with a fair amount of flour. Strike water is heating over the largest element on my electric stove.
Christening the new house onya Herm!
I hope you get many happy brew days there.

Christening the new house onya Herm!
I hope you get many happy brew days there.
Thanks Ben. Things went surprisingly well for all the doubts I had. The electric stove kicked ass, and my grain mill worked like a charm. I got decent numbers for my effort, not spot on, but close enough for home brewing. And I have a fermenter full of bubbling wort. Brew on!

Awesome work around Ozarks!

Here's my revised keg cleaner/beer Line cleaner.
20221001_055547.jpg

Should get some good flow through the larger beer Line. The double ball post connector will be quick and easy connects straight onto beer Line disconnect. When cleaning lines I put this blank in the T piece for extra flow
20221001_060035.jpg

Gotta make cleaning easier I rekon:)
And while I'm at it injected all my kegs with 12ml of biofine clear using my new little contraption
20221001_061212.jpg

You just gotta make sure your putting pressure on the end if the syringe with your hand but it works great!
No need to drop keg pressure.

Last edited:
You just gotta make sure your putting pressure on the end if the syringe with your hand but it works great!
No need to drop keg pressure.
I bet the syringe plunger would go half way across the yard if you didn't!

Hey, I wonder about using a keg to launch projectiles to, say, chase the squirrels from the garden...:eek:

I bet the syringe plunger would go half way across the yard if you didn't!

Hey, I wonder about using a keg to launch projectiles to, say, chase the squirrels from the garden...:eek:
Swamp hens in my case :mad: yeah good idea Don;)

Back