What are you doing with homebrew today?

I finally got to bottling my Saison.
Not the best of brew days.
Thought I would use the bottling wand instead of my auto siphon.
So got the thing cleaned, pipe clean. About to attach to speidel spigot.
It's a different diameter :eek:
OK, I know I got another bigger) piece of pipe. Clean it. Attach, try to bottle. Doesnt want to run. Too much trub.
Clean it all out. Assemble again in the hope that I have reached clean beer. But no.
OK. Grab auto siphon, clean, start bottling. But nothing:(
Try again. Nothing.
Take it out. Try with water. Nothing. Maybe no proper seal?
Take it apart and I put one piece in the wrong way around. Try again with water.
Succes :D
Spray the thing with starsan and finally I'm bottling.
Then capping.
Freaking capper gets stuck on a bottle and I can't get it off (I got one of those red hand cappers)
Eventually manage and get a crate bottled.
I decided that was a sign, and didn't start a mash, but poured apple juice on the trub. 9 litres on the go

OK, I know I got another bigger) piece of pipe. Clean it. Attach, try to bottle. Doesnt want to run. Too much trub.
Clean it all out. Assemble again in the hope that I have reached clean beer. But no.
Try again. Nothing.
Take it apart and I put one piece in the wrong way around. Try again with water.
Then capping.
Freaking capper gets stuck on a bottle and I can't get it off (I got one of those red hand cappers)
I decided that was a sign, and didn't start a mash, but poured apple juice on the trub. 9 litres on the go

Fun day! Hope you had a cold one to celebrate.

Try again. Nothing.
Then capping.
Sometimes you just gotta walk away:)

Putting the bucket cleaner to work cleaning kegs and soon beer lines.
20221002_134004.jpg

Contemplating doing a lager brew to fill the kegmenter until I get malts for Q4 brew mightnt clean the kegmenter hmmm thoughts anyone?

Makes sense, I didn't look at the lovibond :D
I was tossing up weather to add it this brew but I like the colour of the other one.
A way to darken it without adding lets say caramunich which would probably suit The style bit I don't want it too malty the roast will keep it dry I feel on the finish.

As stated in the DIY thread, I made up 3 new high temp silicone hoses with QD's and installed the ball valve and QD's on the pump as well. Tested the pump. VERY quiet pump. Needs to be mounted on something (and add an On/Off switch) because the heavy stainless fittings want to make it tip forward. A little concerned that the silicone lines will collapse on suction side when it starts moving hot liquid. If so, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Still have one 3m length of hose left over. Will probably make one long hose, or two 1.5m hoses. Can't think of anything I'll need a 3m hose for. 1m was plenty long to connect kettle to pump and pump back to kettle.

Onward to making a spray head for sparging ......

As stated in the DIY thread, I made up 3 new high temp silicone hoses with QD's and installed the ball valve and QD's on the pump as well. Tested the pump. VERY quiet pump. Needs to be mounted on something (and add an On/Off switch) because the heavy stainless fittings want to make it tip forward. A little concerned that the silicone lines will collapse on suction side when it starts moving hot liquid. If so, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Still have one 3m length of hose left over. Will probably make one long hose, or two 1.5m hoses. Can't think of anything I'll need a 3m hose for. 1m was plenty long to connect kettle to pump and pump back to kettle.

Onward to making a spray head for sparging ......
I use a long line for transferring from kettle straight into fermenter nothing wrong with too much length.

Oatmeal Stout on for brewing right now. Mash-In started. Recirculating wort through the grain during mash REALLY cleans up the wort. I'm impressed and didn't know what I was missing out on. Gonna still be a bit of a cobbled up sparge, but much better than ever before thanks to being able to recirculate and filter out some of the solids that I always have so much fun with in the boil. Mash got a little cool (155) at one point, but better than scorching it. Got a pencil sized stream of wort pouring back to the top of the grain bed. Gonna drain the kettle to a bucket to hold the wort until 1st sparge is done. If I need more volume for boil, I'll just sparge again. Pretty much more like stepped mashing, I reckon, recirculating all three steps. Something I've never been able to do before.

First wort sample is pretty much BLACK and tastes like a cup of coffee sweetened with malt and a hint of chocolate. Yum! I won't put the cacao nibs in until about 10-20 minutes before flame-out. I'm pretty stoked about how this is gonna turn out.

Kettle fired for boil, pump/hoses flushed/sanitized for transfer to fermenter after partial chill. I'll drop the temp as quickly as possible below 100F (~30C) then stuff it in the freezer to finish cooling to pitch temp. Should be able to pitch sometime tonight. Starter looks and smells wonderful, so luckily I didn't lose the WLP-004 to heat. Probably wanna get a gravity sample from that before I pitch, or from the batch after I pitch. No clue how the starter is gonna affect OG otherwise. Just need to remember to leave room for the extra 2L of liquid when I top off the fermenter.

Back