What are you doing with homebrew today?

Glad it worked out.

Making tweaks to 2 completely different recipes. I’ll be brewing next Friday. IF northern brewer delivers my Chevallier malt I’ll be brewing a bitter with that malt, first gold hops, and a cake of verdant. If they don’t deliver I’ll be brewing a Dunkel, with about 40% Pilsner since my Munich stock is lower than usual. Rest will be Munich, red x, melanoidan, carafa, tradition hops, and 34/70. I was going for a Marzen but I’m drinking plenty of those right now. Not made a dunkel since summer so I’m ready for some.

Nope, didn't space it, in fact efficiency is WAY up. With my old mill(HullWrecker) set at .035" I was getting pretty consistent 73% Brew House(74-75 with a double batch sparge). First batch with the Crankandstein 3GT(set at .035"), 80% with a single batch sparge.
Nothing wrong with what's up in your head ;)

Added the spunding valve to my kolsch today at 5 psi. It's dropped a little over 10 points. I was hoping to ferment at 68F and it seems to be holding at 66F, which is great. Lalbrew Koln has a longer lag time than most yeasts, and I'm pretty much at the top end of what 1 pack can handle. Fingers crossed

Oh and I'm going to start conditioning the pumpkin beer
Screenshot_20221009-084947_Chrome.jpg

Just figured out why I was going thru CO2 to beat the band. Not only was the regulator leaking, a keg connect was cracked. Needed a magnifying glass to see it but I could hear it hissing as soon as I opened the kegerator. All fixed (I think) new regulator and connect. Fingers crossed. Time to have a couple beers or cider. Maybe both.

Dreaming about wort pumps and recirculation arms and whirlpool attachments...maybe someday :rolleyes:

But also going to the LHBS for ingredients for an Altbier and a Cold IPA
You will NOT regret investment in hot side recirculation. The pump is the cat's pajamas. It made a HUGE difference in the amount of trub that I normally get in my stout. I just recirculated during mash until the wort looked clear (as clear as stout allows, of course). Batch sparged, again recirc until clear, lather, rinse, repeat. No whirlfloc, no finings at all, no cold crashing. One of the clearest (for stout) worts I've seen me make yet. Next batch will show me even more, because it's a VERY light-colored beer.

I just hope I didn't ruin the stout with oily cacao nibs. First time I used nibs, they were quite dry, pretty much oil free. These ones made what looked like vegetable shortening float to the top while I was chilling. SOMETHING was oily, for sure. So much for having any head on this brew.

The stout has apparently gone flat-line, but I've NEVER pulled one of these off before 3 weeks. [Adding a Tilt to my wishlist letter to Santa] Gonna let the stout sit because the temp is actually dropping now that we have cool nights (even with the freezer door closed). But I may be rigging up the heater sooner than later. There's still a bit of a fresh looking krausen ring around the perimeter of the fermenter, so either the oil from the nibs solidified and stuck, or something's still going on in there. Nice looking yeast cake forming in the sediment ball, too. The aroma when I open the freezer door is heavenly.

Picked up another recipe from my LHBS today. FrankenBeer II in the queue. Swapped up a few things. Updating the recipe shortly.

You will NOT regret investment in hot side recirculation. The pump is the cat's pajamas. It made a HUGE difference in the amount of trub that I normally get in my stout. I just recirculated during mash until the wort looked clear (as clear as stout allows, of course). Batch sparged, again recirc until clear, lather, rinse, repeat. No whirlfloc, no finings at all, no cold crashing. One of the clearest (for stout) worts I've seen me make yet. Next batch will show me even more, because it's a VERY light-colored beer.

I just hope I didn't ruin the stout with oily cacao nibs. First time I used nibs, they were quite dry, pretty much oil free. These ones made what looked like vegetable shortening float to the top while I was chilling. SOMETHING was oily, for sure. So much for having any head on this brew.

The stout has apparently gone flat-line, but I've NEVER pulled one of these off before 3 weeks. [Adding a Tilt to my wishlist letter to Santa] Gonna let the stout sit because the temp is actually dropping now that we have cool nights (even with the freezer door closed). But I may be rigging up the heater sooner than later. There's still a bit of a fresh looking krausen ring around the perimeter of the fermenter, so either the oil from the nibs solidified and stuck, or something's still going on in there. Nice looking yeast cake forming in the sediment ball, too. The aroma when I open the freezer door is heavenly.
I have had nibs both dry and 'wet' with cocoa butter. Don't recall any effect on head retention.

I have had nibs both dry and 'wet' with cocoa butter. Don't recall any effect on head retention.

Good to know. It did look like it was solidifying and floating as the wort was cooling. I just have experience in rolling mill applications that use oils in the coolants to suppress foaming, as well as cooling towers. Most is done by additions that lower interfacial tension (how bubbles work), which seem to be easily formed in brewing processes or just naturally occur in some ingredients.

Back