What are you doing with homebrew today?

Crisp recommends a longer mash but otherwise I don’t think so. I have of course pieced stuff together. Possibly higher protein requiring a longer mash? I’ve also read that was among the earlier crops when it was rereleased. I’m mashing 90 minutes.

Crisp recommends a longer mash but otherwise I don’t think so. I have of course pieced stuff together. Possibly higher protein requiring a longer mash? I’ve also read that was among the earlier crops when it was rereleased. I’m mashing 90 minutes.
Yeah higher protine content should in theory give you better foam stability and may cause some protine haze in the final product not that that matters in a brown ale or bitter I believe.

As for conversion I'd look at it's diastatic power of the malt.

Yeast pitched. Here is the color. As long as that damn fruit fly didn’t get in it should be tasty. Hit 75% efficiency which is my typical since I’ve been milling my own grain
9DF3029E-24A3-4DEA-B3D6-9F09261599D7.jpeg

Yeast pitched. Here is the color. As long as that damn fruit fly didn’t get in it should be tasty. Hit 75% efficiency which is my typical since I’ve been milling my own grain View attachment 22686
Yeah had a bloody fly end up on one of my fermentations earlier this year:D.

Watched it as I was transferring an yup it thought it could land on the streaming wort going into fermenter :eek: in it went for a sticky bath.
Batch turned out good:)

Fermentation is super active right now. Smells nice an fruity. Later tonight/tomorrow morning I’ll put my spunding valve on. OG was 1.040 so this will not take long

Yeah had a bloody fly end up on one of my fermentations earlier this year:D.

Watched it as I was transferring an yup it thought it could land on the streaming wort going into fermenter :eek: in it went for a sticky bath.
Batch turned out good:)
Need to move south, mate. SA is fruit fly free. Now, say that quickly 3 times back to back out loud with the kids listening. I remember the first time I saw the road signs for ag inspections at the state line going back to Port Pirie from Broken Hill. Huge fines for carrying fruit across state lines in Oz, especially SA. I think it turned into “flute fly flee” or something similar. As long as ya boiled ‘em good, just a little extra protein in the brew, and a surprise beer snack if it’s a dark brew. Chunky bits, YUMMY!

Need to move south, mate. SA is fruit fly free. Now, say that quickly 3 times back to back out loud with the kids listening. I remember the first time I saw the road signs for ag inspections at the state line going back to Port Pirie from Broken Hill. Huge fines for carrying fruit across state lines in Oz, especially SA. I think it turned into “flute fly flee” or something similar. As long as ya boiled ‘em good, just a little extra protein in the brew, and a surprise beer snack if it’s a dark brew. Chunky bits, YUMMY!
Nope it was on transfer to fermenter I fished it out with a spoon not long after but I was freeking out I'd ruined the batch.

Here we go earlier this year in a blonde ale
https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum...ith-homebrew-today.14431/page-101#post-154321

Last edited:
Was gone all day at an autumn fest thing, great time. I figured my beer would be 1.012 so I’d spund and get the last 4 points to carbonate for me. Well it was 1.009. Hopefully I get some more action. Fermenting Temp was 3 degrees cooler than this morning so it doesn’t have much to give me. I moved it to my living room much to my wife’s chagrin where the temp is warmer. 24 hours and 2 points from projected FG… Super fresh English slurry from a just racked beer.

Heating up strike water, cleaning my tap line, and transferring the kolsch into a serving keg. Busy beer day! Having a full time job is definitely going to affect Snail House's production output
I'm heating up strike water too on the brown ale! Was worried the propane burner was going out, almost no flame and the gas was on full blast. Got it sorted now

Was gone all day at an autumn fest thing, great time. I figured my beer would be 1.012 so I’d spund and get the last 4 points to carbonate for me. Well it was 1.009. Hopefully I get some more action. Fermenting Temp was 3 degrees cooler than this morning so it doesn’t have much to give me. I moved it to my living room much to my wife’s chagrin where the temp is warmer. 24 hours and 2 points from projected FG… Super fresh English slurry from a just racked beer.
Only got a few psi build according to my spunding valve. Hopefully didn’t add too much oxygen when I switched corney lids.

Finishing up some odds and ends, reworked my Pre-Prohibition Lager based on a couple articles I read in "Beer and Brewing" specifically referencing Paul Kaiser's draught beer recipe of 1912. Used Pilsner malt instead of pale and bumped the ibu's by 50% and left out the wheat. Thinking this will be a huge improvement over my last crack at the style, which was a bit disappointing.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1305404/bulin-s-original

Back