Smoking, grilling and curing foods, etc.

Bob, what is up with the batch size of most jerky recipes I see on the internet? 2 pounds of meat? Seriously? That’s like making 1/2 gallon of homebrew! I make jerky 15 pounds at a time. I usually end up with about 6 3/4 - 7 pounds of finished product.

Bob, what is up with the batch size of most jerky recipes I see on the internet? 2 pounds of meat? Seriously? That’s like making 1/2 gallon of homebrew! I make jerky 15 pounds at a time. I usually end up with about 6 3/4 - 7 pounds of finished product.[/QUOTE

Not sure. Maybe they have very small dehydrators or are experimenting, like people doing 1 gallon batches of beer. It's easier to scale a recipe up than down, so it doesn't bother me. I usually do 5 pounds or so at a time, depending on whether I'm using ground meat or slicing.

Here’s one for you, Bob. Homemade Spam! This is before cooking. Smells like Spam.

Attachments

• 71AD36B8-19E6-41C1-98F0-698C2DFBF7FD.jpeg
    71AD36B8-19E6-41C1-98F0-698C2DFBF7FD.jpeg
    757.8 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Here’s one for you, Bob. Homemade Spam! This is before cooking. Smells like Spam.

It's been a long time since I've had Spam. Around here it's as expensive as real meat. Some of the younger generations revere it and actually have "Spamushi" parties, substituting Spam for the normal sushi ingredients. There are some instances that I would prefer it over some of the "bait" used in Sushi :)

The Spam is pretty good. I think I’ll stuff it and make sausage next time. I think it’d be good hot or cold smoked.

Attachments

• 40E349A5-A3DE-42A7-8BD8-3FD4E1AE0DB0.jpeg
    40E349A5-A3DE-42A7-8BD8-3FD4E1AE0DB0.jpeg
    481.4 KB · Views: 190
And my kids decided that they hate it before they even tried it. They did try it, and they said it wasn’t good. They would’ve loved it if I hadn’t told them what I modeled it after. Next time I make it and I stuff it, I won’t tell them what it is.

Around here it's as expensive as real meat.
It’s made from about 90% pork shoulder and 10% ham. They don’t use leftover meat parts to make Spam. Pork shoulder is the same thing I make all of my sausages out of.

OK, it's getting into the outdoor season here and time to start trying out a few new grilling ideas and revisiting some old ones. Tried some stuffed burgers last Summer and liked them. My favorite was stuffing about a TBSP of chopped onions and about the same amount of fried, chopped bacon between a couple of thin 1/4 lb. patties along with all the shredded cheddar that would fit. Crimp around the edges and flatten as much as possible, then seasoned both sides generously with salt, black pepper and granulated garlic. Grill over medium heat, flipping once. Pretty simple recipe, but very tasty.

Here's a link to something that opens up a bunch of flavor options: https://bbqpitboys.com/beer-can-bacon-burgers/

As soon as I convert some of my recipe files to uploadable formats I have a few to post. Hopefully we smokers and grillers can share some ideas this Summer.

Just made some “Patty Melts” on the charcoal Weber tonight. Wanted 80/20 angus, but they only had 85/15. Sauté some white onions in butter in a foil tray for same cooking time as the burgers. Place a slice of American cheese on the burgers for the last 2 minutes. Spray olive oil in some fresh thick cut rye bread and toast in the grill while burgers are resting for 5 minutes..... yum!

Just made some “Patty Melts” on the charcoal Weber tonight. Wanted 80/20 angus, but they only had 85/15. Sauté some white onions in butter in a foil tray for same cooking time as the burgers. Place a slice of American cheese on the burgers for the last 2 minutes. Spray olive oil in some fresh thick cut rye bread and toast in the grill while burgers are resting for 5 minutes..... yum!
guess you need a lot of beer to wash it all done with:)

Indeed... hence the post in the “What are you drinking now” thread of the Troeg’s Nugget Necar!

Spent a bunch of time over the weekend converting all my recipe files from RTFs to Word Documents. Guess I should have tried uploading one first. Now that I found out PDFs work it's back to converting them again. Here's my test recipe:

Attachments

• Bacon and Charred Scallion Dip.pdf
    313.3 KB · Views: 201
if you want to create recipes here the save at home for printing, just export to html then you can print to pdf or just the page

if you want to create recipes here the save at home for printing, just export to html then you can print to pdf or just the page

Thanks. but these are existing recipes on my laptop that I want to be able to share here.

Spent a bunch of time over the weekend converting all my recipe files from RTFs to Word Documents. Guess I should have tried uploading one first. Now that I found out PDFs work it's back to converting them again. Here's my test recipe:
I texted this recipe to my wife. I wonder when I’ll get to eat it.

I texted this recipe to my wife. I wonder when I’ll get to eat it.

Soon if it meets her approval :) At least that's how it works around here.

Someone should put a feature request in with the develops to add the ability to load these recipes.

Someone should put a feature request in with the develops to add the ability to load these recipes.

There's a pretty good list of file formats that can be uploaded. I just didn't look.

Accepted file types:
zip, txt, pdf, png, jpg, jpeg, jpe, gif

Back