Smoking, grilling and curing foods, etc.

25 lbs of Italian sausage today. It takes longer to clean the equipment than it takes to use it. Not sure what I’ll do after lunch. I probay should've made more!

Last edited:
That ought to keep you going for a while. IIRC, the biggest batch I ever did was 15 lbs. That's a bunch with my primitive stuffing method.Maybe a rest with some home brew is in order for the afternoon.

I gave up alcohol for Lent, and it’s Friday. I won’t be enjoying either today!

We once bought 125 lbs of ground pork from a butcher to make Hungarian sausage. He wished us good luck on our event. Event? This is just for our (extended) family!

Ah, being raised Catholic,I understand.

We once bought 125 lbs of ground pork from a butcher to make Hungarian sausage. He wished us good luck on our event. Event? This is just for our (extended) family!
Best part of being religiously challenged is I don't have to give up anything!

Never mind the best part. It’s the worst part that scares me.

Or better yet, religion scares the hell out of me!

25 lbs of Italian sausage today. It takes longer to clean the equipment than it takes to use it. Not sure what I’ll do after lunch. I probay should've made more!
I see some excellent home made pizza in your future.

Look the other way. You can see it in the past, too! That’s why I made Italian this time. We were running low. My wife uses my homebrew to make the crust. Good stuff!

Now, why would you go and do that? Couldn’t you give up something else.... like.... I dunno..... uncarbonated beer? That way, for every carbonated beer you drink... you can praise god! Otherwise, you’ll never be praising good for giving up alcohol [beer].

Now, why would you go and do that? Couldn’t you give up something else.... like.... I dunno..... uncarbonated beer? That way, for every carbonated beer you drink... you can praise god! Otherwise, you’ll never be praising good for giving up alcohol [beer].
there is a reason for the season tis a well lagered beer then we will praise God!

It's Cabelas branded, but not commercial quality. It works for the amount of grinding I do, but fouls with connective tissue easily. The one you linked looks great.

I’m currently using a Gander Mtn. grinder that probably looks like yours. It works well enough, but it’s slow. I don’t bother pulling the grinder out unless I’m doing at least 10 lbs, but mostly I grind closer to 20.

That grinder I linked is the second smallest of a series of 5! The biggest one weighs 90 lbs. The one I linked weighs 50.

I’m currently using a Gander Mtn. grinder that probably looks like yours. It works well enough, but it’s slow. I don’t bother pulling the grinder out unless I’m doing at least 10 lbs, but mostly I grind closer to 20.

That grinder I linked is the second smallest of a series of 5! The biggest one weighs 90 lbs. The one I linked weighs 50.

I drool when looking at stuff like that.

Ha! At Cabelas today, an employee asked me if he could help, as I was looking at the grinders. I apologized to him for drooling all over them!

We’re trying to duplicate a family Hungarian sausage recipe that has gone to the grave. Not that she kept it a secret, it was just never written down. We know what spices go in it. We don’t know the ratios. So early this morning we made a 5 lb test batch. Close enough to get it closer.

“We make more sausage before 9AM then most people do all day!” :D

Cool! Nothing like trying to duplicate flavor from memory. I've done that with a few of Mom's dishes. It doesn't always turn out close to how I remember, but has netted some tasty new stuff.

I made a 1 lb test batch tonight, making my tweaks. I think it’s as close as we’re gonna get. Even if it’s not spot on, it’s very good. Lots of garlic.

As it turned out, 6 hours at around 165F actually worked for an internal temperature of really close to 155F for my peppery bacon. Salivating as I wait to fry up a couple of pieces when I slice it down tomorrow. An early start will get me a taste for breakfast. Ended up smoking for 2 hrs. with Mesquite, 1 with Hickory and 2 with alder. Used up all of my unopened packages of chips.

Back