Smoking, grilling and curing foods, etc.

Smells and tastes great. Thanks for the picetizer!

Didn't get around to making the slaw and beans I had planned to go with it. Miriam and I both had Dr. appts. that lasted longer than we figured. so didn't get the pig on until about noon. It won't be pulled pork, but we like pig. Guess a bit of brown rice and a green salad will suffice. Will do the beans and slaw for tomottow.

Least you got a good lookin butt there @BOB357 !:D
My new toy
20181003_182235-1024x1365.jpg

20181003_185127-1024x1365.jpg

Nice!
I'm picturing a couple of fried eggs and 6 strips of real smoked bacon sandwiched between 2 big old buckwheat hot cakes, all smothered in maple syrup. Maybe some fried spuds with green peppers and onions on the side MMMMMMMMMMMMMM!. That griddle would do a big a$$ breakfast feast .

Nice griddle!!!
We well have the cast iron griddle on the fire pit in a couple weeks up elk hunting.
Ah, hunting camp. I can smell the grilled onions and fresh backstrap already. Mmm

It’s the annual test to determine if man can live on meat and whiskey alone. However, many more years of testing are needed for statistically significant results. :D
Accepted sample size, assuming normally distributed data, is generally 30 observations. Granted, that's only a rule of thumb, you may need more....

You got all 3 of the main food groups covered. Protein and fat from the game and carbs from the whiskey. What more would you need to survive? Seems something is missing. Maybe more research is needed.

Nosy, good point. Need more data. But I’m not checking the Durbin Watson statistic or for Heteroscedasticity.

Last edited:
Nosy, good point. Need more data. But I’m not checking the Durbin Watson statistic or for Heteroscedasticity.
Hence the need for more samples. Enjoy!

Man, I gotta say, I've been having a blast on my new griddle. I love it! No more greasy, smokey mess and whatnot to clean up inside. It's fast and easy also. So much real estate, I can have everything going at the same time and everyone can eat together. Ha, and the greasier the mess, the more seasoned the griddle becomes!
Saturday morning breakfast
20181006_075024-1024x1365.jpg

20181006_075018-1024x1365.jpg

20181006_075039-1024x1365.jpg

Man, Are you hungry or are you feeding an army? That looks like the back end of a McDonalds.

OK, so got everything in the garden harvested and most of the mess cleaned up. The wife is processing pears, tomatoes and tomatillos tomorrow while I keg a pale ale. I'm brewing Saturday and then it's time to get going with some Pastrami, jerky and Jalapeño Cheddar Brats. Over the past 3 months have amassed a boatload of pork and beef and had no time to process any of it. Sunday will start thawing a bunch of it.

Starting Monday it's time to break out the grinder and slicer and get to work. Also have a bunch of trout and an assortment of cheese to smoke. Supposed to have another week of decent weather to smoke in. Wife cleaned out the fridge and made room for brining vessels, so I'm all set.

Here we go. Finally got around to processing some meat just short of 2 weeks later than planned. Cut a 12 lb. bottom round up into 3 chunks. Sliced and marinated 4 lbs. for jerky and put my dry brined the other 2 chunks for pastrami. The pastrami is in the bottom of the fridge and will be ready for smoking on Dec, 1st. Just loaded up the dehydrator with the jerky. Was going to smoke it. but with the outside temp it'd take too long.
Jerky.jpg
Pastrami.jpg

Ready to pull a pork butt and some ground beef out of the freezer to make a batch of Jalapeño/Cheddar Brats tomorrow.

Yum! I'm in diet/training mode for a 5k with my son Thanksgiving morning. I'm freaking starving!

Back