Show me your gardening Progress

View attachment 25523 Misshapen but tasty, these carrots just came out of the ground. They were planted as starts in a deeply tilled bed. There are more in the ground from starts, as well as some from seed.
This year will be my first attempt at carrots. I planted seeds and hopefully they like the soil!

This year will be my first attempt at carrots. I planted seeds and hopefully they like the soil!
And one thing I remember from my father growing them as a kid they are tiny little things when they come up so guess who had to get in there and weed around them yup me.

Almost as tedious as weeding around onion sprouts.

But as herm showed nothing beats fresh from the garden ;)

Last edited:
And one thing I remember from my father growing them as a kid they are tiny little things when they come up so guess who had to get in there and weed around them yup me.

Almost as tedious as weeding around ongion sprouts.

But as herm showed nothing beats fresh from the garden ;)
Yeah, we got a few last year, but probably put the seed in a little too thick. Still learning some veggies we didn't grow when I was a kid. There is an art to how much fertilizer, how deep to plant, how much water, etc. How deep to plant was the easy part this year. Today was the first day in 3 weeks that it didn't rain at least a little. It only rained twice last week, though, once for 4 days and once for three days. I'm certainly enjoying the coolest spring we've had in my memories, but it really does seem to be having some strange effects on the garden. We've got marble sized green berries that SHOULD be blue, and have been that way for 2 months.

Did I mention patience is NOT my strong suit?

A little foray into the garden this arvo

Some yams (sweet potatoes)
20230527_160244.jpg

Bit of ginger and Tumeric too just to make sure.

Woohoo bannana flower I've waited some time for this!
20230527_151217.jpg

And check out this fully laden mandie
20230527_151526.jpg

That branch on the left is touching the ground lazy arse me should a staked it!

Oranges have been really good too.

Take the good with that bad huh when it comes to gardening :p.

Cheers

I got some serious Garden Envy going on after seeing those Ben! Very impressive!

I got some serious Garden Envy going on after seeing those Ben! Very impressive!
Thanks Ward i really enjoy feeding them up.

Actually I did a few seasons picking citrus and my Dad kept a tree when I was younger which I found out from Mum its still alive and producing.

I'm pretty green when it comes to bannanas though I see alot of people round here put a bag thing over the fruit I'm guessing to stop the bats eating them...

A little foray into the garden this arvo

Some yams (sweet potatoes)View attachment 25554
Bit of ginger and Tumeric too just to make sure.

Woohoo bannana flower I've waited some time for this!View attachment 25555
And check out this fully laden mandie
View attachment 25556
That branch on the left is touching the ground lazy arse me should a staked it!

Oranges have been really good too.

Take the good with that bad huh when it comes to gardening :p.

Cheers
I can't believe the amount of oranges on that small tree! What are you feeding it? Spent grains? Haha

I planted last week and then left for vacation early Friday morning. I'm hopeful to be pleasantly surprised when I get home. We'll see.

You know why the ends are misshapen, right?
Help me out Don, why are the ends misshapen?
My wife pulled out 2 more bunches (these were all from starts) and they’re all misshapen. However, they are crunchy and sweet, so I don’t mind.

Garden overview, with lots of leafy greens (variety of lettuces, spinach, arugula, cilantro), carrots, peppers, garlic, onions and potatoes. We’re very pleased that our apple trees are both loaded with fruit. On the far end of the yard, we have a couple tomato plants from starts. Lots of stuff going on in our garden, and my wife brings home from work a plant or three every few days. This keeps me busy.
image.jpg

Garden overview, with lots of leafy greens (variety of lettuces, spinach, arugula, cilantro), carrots, peppers, garlic, onions and potatoes. We’re very pleased that our apple trees are both loaded with fruit. On the far end of the yard, we have a couple tomato plants from starts. Lots of stuff going on in our garden, and my wife brings home from work a plant or three every few days. This keeps me busy.View attachment 25583.
Looks great herm ( sorry, I can't remember your actual name) !

Help me out Don, why are the ends misshapen?
My wife pulled out 2 more bunches (these were all from starts) and they’re all misshapen. However, they are crunchy and sweet, so I don’t mind.
I believe it's from a hard pack or dense soil

I believe it's from a hard pack or dense soil
Interesting that the soil in the raised beds has been greatly improved from last summer when we moved here. That soil has been amended and tilled and fluffed, and is actually pretty loose.

Thanks Brian. For the record, my given name is Michael, and Herm is a nickname from junior high school back in the seventies. That nickname has stuck with me ever since.
I know I got it on a monthly forum, but for the life of me I couldn't remember! Could be the beers!

Back