Show me your gardening Progress

PXL_20230530_181045220.jpg

My current situation!

Help me out Don, why are the ends misshapen?
My wife pulled out 2 more bunches (these were all from starts) and they’re all misshapen. However, they are crunchy and sweet, so I don’t mind.
They are hitting a different soil. It doesn't have to be excessively dense.

Just ignore it. Bet they taste fine!

Garden overview, with lots of leafy greens (variety of lettuces, spinach, arugula, cilantro), carrots, peppers, garlic, onions and potatoes. We’re very pleased that our apple trees are both loaded with fruit. On the far end of the yard, we have a couple tomato plants from starts. Lots of stuff going on in our garden, and my wife brings home from work a plant or three every few days. This keeps me busy.View attachment 25583.
I love all them leeks!

Those are garlic! And the onions are much smaller, as they were planted much later.
Wow ok they have similar leaves as leeks in the same family anyhow unless I'm wrong about that too....

I'm gunna get some onions in one of my raised beds after seeing that probably a mix of spring onions and leeks I'm thinking.

Wow ok they have similar leaves as leeks in the same family anyhow unless I'm wrong about that too....

I'm gunna get some onions in one of my raised beds after seeing that probably a mix of spring onions and leeks I'm thinking.
Don’t mind me Ben, I correct myself.
We love leeks and use them in many dishes. The tough tops are great for broth making.

You got driplines under the plastic

Yaknow, I thought about that last year and have some soaker hose I could have done that with but I'm just using an old galvanized watering can. Right now we are having a dry spell and I am using dehumidifier water to keep things wet so I'm not taxing the well.

Wow, that's a bunch! Other than tomatoes and peppers, what else did you put in
I have some less and need to get some squash going.

Very interesting year so far as we had snow in early May, then a fair amount of rain, followed by a hot dry stretch with no rain for 21 days and then the last few days, enough rain to wake up this morning with standing water !
The raccoons have visited regularly to disrupt the soil and plantings while they're feasting on the abundance of worms I have!
I've replanted zucchini, cucumbers, onions, Basil and swiss chard so far and I'll have to fill in some more as my carrots didn't come up.i think the birds got to them when I was on vacation!
The tomatoes and peppers are doing ok and the potatoes seem to like where I put them .
Time will tell.
Cheers

Everything is so nice and green!
I'm struggling. Last rain was in March and that was only 22 mm (less than an inch :()

Our tomatoes grew to nearly 8 feet tall, then broke down at the top of the 4.5 foot trellis I put in for them. Cukes are starting to beat. Something killed a couple of the taters and one bell pepper. Probably bloody chipmunks. First green beans should be ready in a few more days. Black eyes (cow peas to you westerners) are about a foot tall. Took 3 plantings for any to sprout. Already had a few meals and froze some kale and just pulled out the broccoli which put 5 quart bags in the freezer and supplied us with several meals. Strawberries are still wanting to rot before they ripen. Think they may be too overgrown and we’re finding millipedes in the bed. @Trialben the carrots are being slow as ever. Cabbage worms have attacked the leafy greens, so against my wishes have to fight back with pesticides. One of the disadvantages of living in the south with a very long growing season is that means there’s a long pest season too. Brussel sprouts are about the size of marbles now, hoping we get some before the worms destroy them. Had a few raspberries, but our late freeze neatly killed the rhizomes. Doing quite well now though.
image.jpg

For reference, the tomatoes reached the top of the window before they broke. None have wilted, so I just laid them on top of the trellis.

We’ve had some wonderfully perfect rain the past few days. Just enough to wet, but not so much to cause erosion. Here’s some grass I sewed 5 days ago.
image.jpg

I had a 6 inch drop on that side of the driveway from erosion. We put ib a parking area on the other side and used the fill dirt to backfill this.
I have discovered acompct tractor and box blade are a lot more efficient than a wheelbarrow and shovel and 65 year old back.

Sorry for the misspelling in the last two posts. Was sitting on the deck and our normal patio umbrella coverage wasn't there because of predicted storms. The sun was so bright I couldn't see the screen on the phone. The bloody spell checker in Edge also thinks it's smarter than me, yet it fails to detect "ib" meaning "in". Also changed sowing to sewing. Sheesh!

Sorry for the misspelling in the last two posts. Was sitting on the deck and our normal patio umbrella coverage wasn't there because of predicted storms. The sun was so bright I couldn't see the screen on the phone. The bloody spell checker in Edge also thinks it's smarter than me, yet it fails to detect "ib" meaning "in". Also changed sowing to sewing. Sheesh!
Depends. With a needle you can be sewing grass. Makes a skirt. :rolleyes:

Cabvage worms: I have had excellent results using BT (bacillus thurigensis), a completely nontoxic (to humans) bacteria that interrupts the worm's digestive cycle. Not sure Home depot sells it, but visit a garden center. It comes as both a dust or a liquid, both are effective.

I think that BT stuff is what I used on some grape vines the beatles were tearing up. Worked great.

Back