Show me your gardening Progress

At least you guys have an excuse. Me, I'm just being lazy.Nothing really started yet.
Yeah, a bit like that, ain't it? But, we had a really nice start until that super frost we had a couple of months ago. It wiped out everything we had done, so had to push the restart button. The hard freeze even froze most of the fig bushes around here. We've got some broccoli nearly ready, and have already had one big pot of Zuppa Toscano from the kale. The missus makes that stuff as good as Olive Garden does, maybe even better.

The tomatoes are all bearing, but only one little fella getting close to ripe at the moment. Not sure we have any large tomatoes in the bunch because the missus prefers the little ones. I like a nice cold sliced tomato with nothing but a little salt for lunch on a hot summer day. Can't do too many because of psoriasis reacting to the acids, though.

Ain't having ANY luck with peas or beans. They just don't seem to be germinating. Maybe the ground just isn't warm enough yet. We've planted again, so just have to hurry up and wait (again). Put the cucumbers in next to the make-shift trellis. Stole a few volunteer potato plants from the compost heap to replace the ones that didn't make it. All but one going now. Already turned the heap, so no more slips to steal.

Same sit with the radishes and turnips. Just won't germinate this year. I gotta funny feeling we may have some hinky stuff going on with seeds. We don't have much garden, so typically one packet of seeds should last us at least a couple years. Starting to wonder if the big seed companies are 'spiking' the seeds with growth inhibitor that's activated after the seeds get older than 1 year. Sure would sell more seeds, wouldn't it?

Our garden is nearly overflowing with salad greens, and today we discovered that some animal helped itself to a salad sometime during the night. Our apple trees are in full bloom, and the aroma is wonderful. Potatoes are growing like weeds, as are fennel, garlic and onions. Last year’s spinach is going well, too. The Centennial hop rhizome that I planted recently has a couple shoots just breaking the surface, so I’ve got to get some sort of trellis built for that sooner than later. It’s nice living in this version of The Shire.

upload_2023-5-21_16-12-48.png

This is today’s haul of arugula, all washed and ready for use in salads, pesto, etc.
And there is plenty more where that came from.
Arugula is an interesting green with a nutty, spicy flavor. Some in this batch is even wasabi flavored, with a little extra burn.

Didn't do much to the garden today (too wet, again), but did do something to protect it. We've had a racoon raiding our hummingbird feeders and knocking flower pots off the deck rail. He got a new zip code this morning. Borrowed a mercy trap from a neighbor a few days ago, and baited it with a bread heel with some homemade jam on it. Rocky couldn't resist. His weakness was a one-way ticket to the nearby WMA. He really doesn't want to come back, or I may not be quite as merciful.

Second one I've relocated now, and I suspect there's more. This one wasn't near big enough to leave the tracks I'm finding in the mud around here. The tracks look like a barefoot 5 year-old was playing in the mud. There's one huge racoon hanging around here, and I figure this one might be one of it's offspring, as well as the one I hauled off last year, which ignored the hummingbird feeders and went for the suet cakes. The big one doesn't seem interested in coming up to the house. As long as he stays out back, we ain't got a problem twixt us. Different story if he starts coming up on my back porch and tearing things up.

Didn't do much to the garden today (too wet, again), but did do something to protect it. We've had a racoon raiding our hummingbird feeders and knocking flower pots off the deck rail. He got a new zip code this morning. Borrowed a mercy trap from a neighbor a few days ago, and baited it with a bread heel with some homemade jam on it. Rocky couldn't resist. His weakness was a one-way ticket to the nearby WMA. He really doesn't want to come back, or I may not be quite as merciful.

Second one I've relocated now, and I suspect there's more. This one wasn't near big enough to leave the tracks I'm finding in the mud around here. The tracks look like a barefoot 5 year-old was playing in the mud. There's one huge racoon hanging around here, and I figure this one might be one of it's offspring, as well as the one I hauled off last year, which ignored the hummingbird feeders and went for the suet cakes. The big one doesn't seem interested in coming up to the house. As long as he stays out back, we ain't got a problem twixt us. Different story if he starts coming up on my back porch and tearing things up.
Worst case scenario I'm gonna dust off my hunting rifle and shoot one or two I guess...
Usually racoons move in like families of 3-5 yeah, so I'd assume there are more. It's honestly a pain in the butt to deal with those, mine aren't on my tomatoes thankfully, just dumpster diving. But I've trapped and moved like 4 or 5 last year, probably gonna be same story this year...
I guess as long as they are not visiting me like this I'm okay :D

Last edited:
I have most things prepared and ready to plant today.
Some things are in, but most still needs to go in.
A little later than I wanted, but still in before memorial day!
Hopefully no more frost. We had a hard frost last week on Thursday morning and even covered, I had some leaf damage, but they'll survive.

Relocating raccoons is like digging a hole in water. They just multiply to fill the available resources.

Crop circles :p.

Wowie that's some work gone into the vegie patch.

All them rounds for Tomatoes I bet.

Looking great Brian.
I think 13 tomatoes this year.
I actually only planted up some of the exterior ( outside the fence) as it's the first year for this.
I only plan on planting things that the wildlife will leave alone and use it as a buffer so the deer don't just hop into the middle.
So for now a few tomatoes and some potatoes.
Thinking after memorial day I'll add some flowers

I think 13 tomatoes this year.
I actually only planted up some of the exterior ( outside the fence) as it's the first year for this.
I only plan on planting things that the wildlife will leave alone and use it as a buffer so the deer don't just hop into the middle.
So for now a few tomatoes and some potatoes.
Thinking after memorial day I'll add some flowers
Yup gotta think pizza tomatoes maybe some spinach or some of Herms Aragula or what we call rocket heck maybe their different.

Oh maybe some red ongions or spring ongion.

Relocating raccoons is like digging a hole in water. They just multiply to fill the available resources.
Yeah, but until they come up on my porch, I don't have a problem with them. The worst thing they do is organize a 'public toilet'. Where one goes, they all go, from now on. Sorta like cats and a litter box that didn't get put back. That makes 'em easy to find. They tend to raid the easiest thing to get to, which is the hummingbird feeders in this case.

They can be fun pets, but NEVER think you have one adequately caged. They have opposable thumbs on those little biscuit grabbers and are extremely intelligent little critters. One I had when I was a kid could undo a snap-hook. I found out the hard way when he got out of his box and turned the kitchen inside out at 3 AM. Mama was NOT happy, and that was his last night in the house. Had to give him away because we had coon hunting dogs and teaching them to leave him alone was probably not going to happen.

I turned it loose and it huffed at me about 5 times as it was leaving, but it left in a BIG hurry. Probably on it's way back here already. It's about 8 miles to where I turned it loose. Maybe not quite far enough. We'll see.

Yup gotta think pizza tomatoes maybe some spinach or some of Herms Aragula or what we call rocket heck maybe their different.

Oh maybe some red ongions or spring ongion.
Arugula = rocket but there are different varieties from mild to wasabi spice (we have quite a range in our garden).
It makes good pesto to sauce a pizza, and the leaves are good as topping.

Somewhat agree, but I've promised my wife I won't shoot 'em till they actually do damage. So far they've only been snaging some leftovers from the garbage time to time, so not a huge deal for me. I've been trying to pack leftovers better and they are doing it much less, so here's that :D

Arugula = rocket but there are different varieties from mild to wasabi spice (we have quite a range in our garden).
It makes good pesto to sauce a pizza, and the leaves are good as topping.
Amen I find here In Aus when the sun gets on them a bit they get real bitter.

Somewhat agree, but I've promised my wife I won't shoot 'em till they actually do damage. So far they've only been snaging some leftovers from the garbage time to time, so not a huge deal for me. I've been trying to pack leftovers better and they are doing it much less, so here's that :D
Well I am not advocating hurting them (perhaps emotionally though) - I have a havahart trap - just commenting that you can relocate 30 of them and a different 30 will take their places.

The only effective way is to remove whatever attracts them.

Back