Show me your gardening Progress

Cleared some leaves and sticks and started getting seeds in the soil. I'm very impressed that this parsley survived through the winter. Also here is a hosta peaking out
20230320_154950.jpg
20230320_141859.jpg

I just cut my Cascade bines down and cleared up the area around where the hops grow.

Man they have taken over half my garden
There seems to be shoots poking out the ground all over the place!

No photos sorry honestly it did happen:p!

I got lucky last night...home early and a week without rain!
View attachment 24783
Do I see an old TroyBilt Horse with a Harbor Freight engine on it in the background? I've got my mom's 1976 model that she bought right after I left home for college. Weren't no one around to go catch the old plow mare anymore, or run the Cub Farmall and Ford 8N for our rather large garden (about 10 acres total), so she bought the "Horse" to keep a much smaller version. Seems the absence of the horse catcher reduced the grocery bill some too.

Do I see an old TroyBilt Horse with a Harbor Freight engine on it in the background?

No, I'm not that skilled. That's my covid cash Craftsman tiller I picked up at Lowe s. I looked at a Troy Pony but the price and size of the Craftsman was a better fit for my little garden. I see a lot of old Troys but they're not the ones for sale.

No, I'm not that skilled. That's my covid cash Craftsman tiller I picked up at Lowe s. I looked at a Troy Pony but the price and size of the Craftsman was a better fit for my little garden. I see a lot of old Troys but they're not the ones for sale.
Ok, then. Wasn't hard to do the motor swap. Can't get parts for the old Tecumsehs anymore, or I would have rebuilt the old cast iron engine that came on it. The Horse had a better balance with the cast iron engine on the front. A bit heavy in the back while 'transporting' now because of the much lighter (yet much more efficient and powerful) Predator engine from HF. Hindsight's 20/20, and if I had it to do again, I'd probably go with an 8HP engine. I need to completely overhaul the old Horse and replace all the seals in it, and maybe swap to bar-lug tires too. Just need another Roundtuit to get the job done. I keep it more for the sentimental value and antique value than I get use out of it. All I have is hard clay, and very little of the property cleared enough for gardening (because of the clay).

I can relate to the clay issues. I've been building up this soil for about 10 years now and I'm starting to see some nice workable stuff. The tiller has made it a lot easier for me and when my 20$ roadside find died, I had to get something to replace it. Seeing an old piece of iron still getting it done is a beautiful thing to experience and that can be had powered or muscle powered...hell, I have gardening and power tools that my Dad and grandfather's used!

I can relate to the clay issues. I've been building up this soil for about 10 years now and I'm starting to see some nice workable stuff. The tiller has made it a lot easier for me and when my 20$ roadside find died, I had to get something to replace it. Seeing an old piece of iron still getting it done is a beautiful thing to experience and that can be had powered or muscle powered...hell, I have gardening and power tools that my Dad and grandfather's used!
Mid-summer here, my yard turns into a giant brick. I've broken (split) the blades on post-hole diggers that the power company uses, which are believed to be indestructible. Not so. I put all four rippers down on my box-blade, and they just kept the box blade lifted and scratching the surface. This stuff is worse than rock when it dries out. The BIG problem, though, is how much it expands and contract. My driveway is forever changing shape, and I can't imagine it's doing much for the foundation on my house either. Pretty sure the builder got away without any perk test. Water DOES NOT soak in here. Being pretty much the low spot in our neighborhood, I figured I'd have a lot of good top soil. NOT TRUE at all. Based on what I find in the yard (broken glass of all descriptions, bb guns, shoe soles, bucket handles), I'm pretty sure this place was the city dump before the county put the biggun out between here and Columbiana. This yard is like a box of chocolates, ya never know what ya gonna get. I've got a small spot next to the house with some good soil in it, albeit, pretty sticky that I'm gonna till up Monday. We're getting a late start on the garden because of all the renovations we're doing inside, not to mention, I was seriously thinking about seeing if I could Google plans for an ark up until last week. I've got wet springs in the back yard STILL running from rain earlier this year, and we just got a good shower this morning. Thought I'd have a dust-free grass cutting but it looked like it hasn't rained for weeks in the dryer spots. Weird, 'cause it rained HARD this morning.

We got darn near a foot of snow last night.
Common on spring, where are you hiding?

Mid-summer here, my yard turns into a giant brick. I've broken (split) the blades on post-hole diggers that the power company uses, which are believed to be indestructible. Not so. I put all four rippers down on my box-blade, and they just kept the box blade lifted and scratching the surface. This stuff is worse than rock when it dries out. The BIG problem, though, is how much it expands and contract. My driveway is forever changing shape, and I can't imagine it's doing much for the foundation on my house either. Pretty sure the builder got away without any perk test. Water DOES NOT soak in here. Being pretty much the low spot in our neighborhood, I figured I'd have a lot of good top soil. NOT TRUE at all. Based on what I find in the yard (broken glass of all descriptions, bb guns, shoe soles, bucket handles), I'm pretty sure this place was the city dump before the county put the biggun out between here and Columbiana. This yard is like a box of chocolates, ya never know what ya gonna get. I've got a small spot next to the house with some good soil in it, albeit, pretty sticky that I'm gonna till up Monday. We're getting a late start on the garden because of all the renovations we're doing inside, not to mention, I was seriously thinking about seeing if I could Google plans for an ark up until last week. I've got wet springs in the back yard STILL running from rain earlier this year, and we just got a good shower this morning. Thought I'd have a dust-free grass cutting but it looked like it hasn't rained for weeks in the dryer spots. Weird, 'cause it rained HARD this morning.
At least you can make bricks!

I have essentially the same stuff here. Even a pickaxe can't touch it when it's dry. Gotta water it.

At least you can make bricks!

I have essentially the same stuff here. Even a pickaxe can't touch it when it's dry. Gotta water it.
Same here in Eugene. I have been working in the yard between rain and hail downpours, and it’s easy to dig when wet. Not fun to dig in when dry. It’s nice to have raised beds above the clay. We have garlic and onions, 3 varieties of potatoes, fennel, carrots, spinach and a variety of leaf lettuces all planted in the raised beds. Outside of the raised beds, we have 5 blueberry bushes and 2 apple trees, and 3 planter bags on our deck holding seed potatoes. Waiting to get tomatoes started.

Same here in Eugene. I have been working in the yard between rain and hail downpours, and it’s easy to dig when wet. Not fun to dig in when dry. It’s nice to have raised beds above the clay. We have garlic and onions, 3 varieties of potatoes, fennel, carrots, spinach and a variety of leaf lettuces all planted in the raised beds. Outside of the raised beds, we have 5 blueberry bushes and 2 apple trees, and 3 planter bags on our deck holding seed potatoes. Waiting to get tomatoes started.
Yeah, even in Atlanta it's just a bit early for tomatoes. Not worth a risk.

no garden for me this year, first time in decades, the weather was so bad last year, ruined everyone's crops, even my fruit trees, giving it a break , good luck everyone

I’m nervous that we don’t have our ’maters in the ground yet. But soon. Prepped our little garden spot today. View attachment 24937
My wife works in a garden supply shop. Yesterday she was asking about tomato starts, and learned that here in Eugene, tomatoes don’t get planted until June or July. The tomatoes up here are the best I’ve ever eaten, they just have a short season.

Back