Show me your gardening Progress

PXL_20230416_201553601.jpg

Turned the new pumpkin patch area today.

Had a nice salad with sausage for dinner tonight. Salad was made with Romaine from our little garden. Cukes haven’t sprouted yet, so probably eating Flardy grown stuff. Also had some yummy radish from the garden too. Gotta plant more radish and get some turnips going too.

Anyone else having troubles with year old seeds? First (last) year we had great germination. This year not so much. I’d wager less than 50% rate on last year’s seeds. We kept them dry and cool, so no reason they shouldn’t take off, unless genetically designed to fail if not used the first year. Not our first rodeo with this problem.

We had 80° (26C) most of last week and then Monday and Tuesday Snow!
I haven't planted anything yet, but thinking peas, swiss chard kale and cukes in about a week or so
My garlic is about 10" tall and doing well.
I'm planning on direct seeding this year for my tomatoes, peppers and everything else. Those are about 3 weeks away.
The giant pumpkin will do better if direct seeded as well, but I'll have to be very careful with any nighttime frosting for that.
At least it's starting to get planned!

Anyone else having troubles with year old seeds?
I do open pollinated heirlooms for my tomatoes and peppers as I have found a few types that do well for me and my older, "give them a shot" tomato seeds that I had saved back in 2021 are doing as well as ones from last year! I haven't changed my prep process for cleaning and drying or keeping them in the fridge...I think I just pulled these at the perfect time from a prolific plant!
20230419_063602.jpg

In other words...I got lucky!

Silver beet and just starting to get some egg plant in this bed
20230423_093632.jpg

The next one over is dedicated to sweet potatoes I've been getting all my sweet potatoes I eat out of this for a year now on a side note sweet potatoes actually have some beta and alpah Amylases most In its skin.
20230423_093641.jpg

You can see 1 ginger growing in there to.
I gotta top this bed up some more with compost soon.

This is a pineapple just starting out.
20230422_085831.jpg

It'll take a couple of months to grow into its edible form (and end up on pizza:p)
20230419_152214.jpg

Some sweet spuds and passionfruit for snack.

And lastly the little orange tree is groaning with fruit this year!

20230419_152234.jpg

Gunna hopefully zest some of these this year and put dehydrator to use making some dried orange peel for brewing with.

Well there's a little tour of my back garden:).

Silver beet and just starting to get some egg plant in this bedView attachment 25165
The next one over is dedicated to sweet potatoes I've been getting all my sweet potatoes I eat out of this for a year now on a side note sweet potatoes actually have some beta and alpah Amylases most In its skin.View attachment 25166
You can see 1 ginger growing in there to.
I gotta top this bed up some more with compost soon.

This is a pineapple just starting out.View attachment 25167
It'll take a couple of months to grow into its edible form (and end up on pizza:p)
View attachment 25168
Some sweet spuds and passionfruit for snack.

And lastly the little orange tree is groaning with fruit this year!

View attachment 25169
Gunna hopefully zest some of these this year and put dehydrator to use making some dried orange peel for brewing with.

Well there's a little tour of my back garden:).
That's awesome Ben

That reminds me, I need to plan it out soon. Have not yet started, except for garlic & shallots.

image.jpg
Here are potatoes and my hops box - the potatoes are just breaking the surface this week.
image.jpg
Here is our Spitzenberg apple in bloom, and honey crisp has its first open flower.
image.jpg
This raised bed has onions, garlic, fennel and spinach, all of which are happy.
image.jpg
And an overview of our 3 raised beds with plenty of leafy greens, carrots and more potatoes.

View attachment 25220 Here are potatoes and my hops box - the potatoes are just breaking the surface this week.View attachment 25217 Here is our Spitzenberg apple in bloom, and honey crisp has its first open flower.View attachment 25218 This raised bed has onions, garlic, fennel and spinach, all of which are happy.View attachment 25219And an overview of our 3 raised beds with plenty of leafy greens, carrots and more potatoes.
Love your apple tree near the patio espaliered.
Looks like it will eventually shade out that section for summer.

Love your apple tree near the patio espaliered.
Looks like it will eventually shade out that section for summer.
The espaliered apple trees are actually aligned east to west facing south toward Australia, so unfortunately those won’t provide much shade during our summer. What we need is a shield of hops along the western edge of our north to south oriented deck. Wink, wink, drink.

The espaliered apple trees are actually aligned east to west facing south toward Australia, so unfortunately those won’t provide much shade during our summer. What we need is a shield of hops along the western edge of our north to south oriented deck. Wink, wink, drink.
Oh yeah now your talking perfect for summer and winter
Remember head first he had an amazing hop structure.

With the wind a howlig here, maybe we can send a little warmth your way .
(We don't have much to spare at the moment)

At least you guys have an excuse. Me, I'm just being lazy.Nothing really started yet.

Back