Q1 2021 Community Recipe by HighVoltageMan!

It definitely improves in flavor after a week. But mine simply is a deep fog. Here is a photo of the S-04 yeast from the Wayners on the left, and some Hefeweitzen yeast on the right.

Even the yeast cake liquid is murky, that's almost 2 weeks sitting.
6BDDA980-3F71-4D58-B073-9587DE60446A.jpeg

Emphasizing the point: the Hefeweitzen is almost crystal clear in comparison...

Just bottled mine - tastes great - will have a couple to swig tomorrow night on the Zoom call.

Going to leave mine to cold crash a bit longer, probably keg it on Sunday.
I will have Shady Bo to share with the group tomorrow.

View attachment 13934
it looks like this 7-8 days from brew day. I’ve never had trouble clearing it. If you clear in the keg, the the first beers are nasty. In the past I would clear it in the carboy, now I use a unitank made from a sanke keg and use the Williams top draw to get a clear beer very quickly.
7-8 days?....
I think more and more I leave my beers too long before I package them.

My last few, ode Boddingtons, Irish Stout, and a bitter were all kegged at 10 days. Before that I never bottled anything before 14 days. They were all “finished” not saying time in the didnt help since the last few pints were always better.

14 days is what I usually do. Like Mick said, time is on my side...yes it is.
If everything goes well, an ale should be done most times in 7 days, give or take. But there is no harm in letting them set. This beer gets better two weeks from brewing and peaks around 3-4 weeks. After that it starts to fade. When I compete with this beer, I brew it @ 9 days before the drop off deadline. The beer is super fresh when the judges get it and it gives me an advantage over older beers.

So if I dry hopped on day 3 then packaged a week later I would be good? I can’t cold crash. I had not dry hopped so I was wondering about flavor.

So if I dry hopped on day 3 then packaged a week later I would be good? I can’t cold crash. I had not dry hopped so I was wondering about flavor.
Typically the time listed for dry hopping is how long the hops should be in the beer, not days after brewing. So if you want to dry hop for 3-4 days like HighVoltageMan mentions earlier in this thread, you would add them 3-4 days before packaging. But if you want to add them at high krausen/krausen receding, then counting backwards from packaging isn't going to work. In that case, you'll probably want to package 3-4 days after dry hopping, or at least start fining/cold crashing if that's your plan. Some people dry hop 7-14 days without negative effects, so if you don't want to package after 3 days, you've got some wiggle room. Hope that all made sense :rolleyes:

Typically the time listed for dry hopping is how long the hops should be in the beer, not days after brewing. So if you want to dry hop for 3-4 days like HighVoltageMan mentions earlier in this thread, you would add them 3-4 days before packaging. But if you want to add them at high krausen/krausen receding, then counting backwards from packaging isn't going to work. In that case, you'll probably want to package 3-4 days after dry hopping, or at least start fining/cold crashing if that's your plan. Some people dry hop 7-14 days without negative effects, so if you don't want to package after 3 days, you've got some wiggle room. Hope that all made sense :rolleyes:
I can’t cold crash so that’s out. I worry about oxygen if I don’t dry hop while there is still some action. Just don’t want to leave them in too long either. I also wonder about temps. When I used s04 after 4-5 days I let the temp rise to clean up. Does that affect dry hopping? Right now my plan is to dry hop at day 5 while letting temp rise and then day 10 keg. I’ll let it sit in the keg under pressure for a week before I drink it.

I can’t cold crash so that’s out. I worry about oxygen if I don’t dry hop while there is still some action. Just don’t want to leave them in too long either. I also wonder about temps. When I used s04 after 4-5 days I let the temp rise to clean up. Does that affect dry hopping? Right now my plan is to dry hop at day 5 while letting temp rise and then day 10 keg. I’ll let it sit in the keg under pressure for a week before I drink it.
If you can't crash/fine, I would recommend bagging the hops (boil the bags to santize). I don't think the temp change will affect dry hopping, as long as you're staying in the ideal range for your yeast. Are you doing a small batch? The krausen might be receding already before day 5...you'll have to keep an eye on it. I've done 1 gal with S04 at OG of 1.050 and it was done in 3 days.

2 gallons usually day 3 it starts to drop for me (s04 is my “house” yeast)

If you can't crash/fine, I would recommend bagging the hops (boil the bags to santize). I don't think the temp change will affect dry hopping, as long as you're staying in the ideal range for your yeast. Are you doing a small batch? The krausen might be receding already before day 5...you'll have to keep an eye on it. I've done 1 gal with S04 at OG of 1.050 and it was done in 3 days.
Sunfire is correct. If you can't crash cool, then bag them. There will be a lot of floaties if you don't as least use a bag. The alternative is to skip the dry hop. This beer has a lot of flavor and aroma just from the whirlpool.

Back