Q1 2021 Community Recipe by HighVoltageMan!

Yep at the mash temps used it should be finishing with plenty of body.
Unless this hop creep thing bumps the fermentation into that much action
I didn't dry hop any more than many other brews, but have never dry hopped period with S-04.

Well I don't understand it... I never have a brew finish at the stipulated at the "calculated" FG. I always overshoot. perhaps that's the wrong wording... I dont have a brew that stops at the prescribed FG. yes that's better. Do I manage to get more out of the malt than expected? Is my yeast less powerful? Am I doing something wrong? No. fermentation finishes when it wants to. I do not have control. Well that is my excuse anyway for more alcohol in my beer.

I dry hopped my Wayner's after three days per the recipe. How long do I leave this hops in the fermenter?
3-4days. If you like you can crash cool it. Once you do that it’s effectively removing the hops or transferring the beer to a secondary.

Sounds good, I'll go three days then pull out the hops. Cool fr a week or so as I won't be around.

Well I don't understand it... I never have a brew finish at the stipulated at the "calculated" FG. I always overshoot. perhaps that's the wrong wording... I dont have a brew that stops at the prescribed FG. yes that's better. Do I manage to get more out of the malt than expected? Is my yeast less powerful? Am I doing something wrong? No. fermentation finishes when it wants to. I do not have control. Well that is my excuse anyway for more alcohol in my beer.
Yep for some reason I'm pretty much spot on for this beer SG was 1.058 was supposed to be 1.059 ( measurement error) and it hit dead on 1.011. But this is pretty rare. When I'm brewing a beer ive done a few times i can garentee it's numbers.

Yep for some reason I'm pretty much spot on for this beer SG was 1.058 was supposed to be 1.059 ( measurement error) and it hit dead on 1.011. But this is pretty rare. When I'm brewing a beer ive done a few times i can garentee it's numbers.

Yes I started at 1.054 (2 points lower than calculated) but that is ok with the differences in PPG listed. I don't really mind as I am not selling the beer and therefore have to be strict about values - probably just as well I would have Customs and Excise down on me.

I am brewing this next weekend. If will be ready to drink at the feb zoom. I have never dry hopped, opening the fermenter freaks me out but it’s time to grow up haha. I am using cascade and centennial instead of Citra since I had plenty. My cascade may be gotta little old in the tooth but it’s been in the freezer since last April or May. Not been opened since summer. Centennial is sealed new. Got mosaic per the recipe as well.

I am brewing this next weekend. If will be ready to drink at the feb zoom. I have never dry hopped, opening the fermenter freaks me out but it’s time to grow up haha. I am using cascade and centennial instead of Citra since I had plenty. My cascade may be gotta little old in the tooth but it’s been in the freezer since last April or May. Not been opened since summer. Centennial is sealed new. Got mosaic per the recipe as well.
Go ahead, take the "plunge"

That fermonster I got has some space for them to settle so I shouldn’t have a big issue clogging the spigot. Reading this thread I won’t use a bag. I do use a bag when boiling though.

opening the fermenter freaks me out
Yeah, I hear you. But the basic idea is that there is a layer of CO2 at the top, and if you're a bit careful (move slowly) you won't chase it all away. A tiny bit of oxygen (within the hops) won't affect anything, and infection is a very small concern because your yeast (which is well-established by then) has helped create alcohol, which helps prevent batch infection.

Remember: Beer was historically brewed in open vats, square wooden boxes. A lid on a fermenter is, technically, optional.

Josh you may like to guard against bad air getting in to your fermenter when you open the top by injecting a cloud of CO2 afterwards. I cobbled together a hand held injector that uses a CO2 bulb and a short piece of tubing. It's a two handed affair but works well.
upload_2021-1-27_16-53-19.png

Last edited:
Josh you may like to guard against bad air getting in to your fermenter when you open the top by injecting a cloud of CO2 afterwards. I cobbled together a had held injector that uses a CO2 bulb and a short piece of tubing. It's a two handed affair but works well.
View attachment 13900
I need to do something that. It would help me in multiple areas. So if I got a cheap co2 injector and tubing I could aim the tube where I want the co2?

I have a mesh insert bag for the Fermonster, and was wondering if there was any downside to adding it (after sterilizing) to the fermenter with the chilled wort before pitching yeast? Then when it's time to dry hop, the hop enclosure is all ready to go and I can drop the hops in through the bung hole, and then remove at packaging.

Could the mesh bag physically impede the yeast during active fermentation while they're rising and falling in the vessel?

upload_2021-1-27_9-16-38.png

Some yeast might stay inside the bag, reducing the yeast cake and potential harvesting at the end, but I really think the mesh is not fine enough to impede yeast from getting distributed to do its job. They are really small.

Brewed 1/15/21 with Preboil SG of 1.042. Whirlpooled with Hops (in bag) & Chilled to 50 F, Oxygenated & fermented at 55 F with rise to 62 F for last 2 days. OG of 1.052 (.006 low) & finished at 1.009, (.002 low), 75% efficiency. Target ABV was 6.3% actual is 5.6%. Moved to Secondary to add Gelatin (1 cup boiled water & 1 Tablespoon Gelatin @ 80 F) & Dry Hop, in bags. Moved to Keg, Carb & Crash to 33 F on 1/28/21 & hold 1 week.
I Fined for 2 days & then Dry Hopped for 3 days in the Secondary to leave goop & any Hop Debris behind. I figured Fine 1st & then Dry Hop rather than the other way round (?). Either way just made sense to not transfer Fall Out to Keg but I will look into Top Pickup in Keg.
@HighVoltageMan! Thank you for a tasty recipe, looking forward to 1st pour.

I don't see any major downsides sunfire.

I need to do something that. It would help me in multiple areas. So if I got a cheap co2 injector and tubing I could aim the tube where I want the co2?
Remember if you dry hop at high krausen or at the end the c02 produced during fermentation will drive off any O2 as well.
When you dry hop you will notice a bit of activity in the fermenter as well.

Back