Q1 2021 Community Recipe by HighVoltageMan!

Thanks for all the responses to my queries in this thread. I brewed it, my numbers sucked, but the yeast was doing its job when I woke this morning, so there will be beer. It sure smelled good! In frustration, I forgot to do anything regarding temp control. Things kind of turned into a clusterduck yesterday. Using an ice bath, I was able to chill the wort to ~63*F before pitching. My brew day ran into dinner time, so I was scrambling to finish last night. We’ll see how things look after work.

Dinner was great!
This evening, Wayner’s is actively bubbling away in the fermentation closet. Temperature control be damned. There has not been a bad beer to come out of that closet yet, so I’m going to let it ride.

Dinner was great!
This evening, Wayner’s is actively bubbling away in the fermentation closet. Temperature control be damned. There has not been a bad beer to come out of that closet yet, so I’m going to let it ride.
Time for hops now if it is fermenting brother!

Time for hops now if it is fermenting brother!
I thought it was a dry hop for 3 days before packaging. Doesn’t dry hopping while fermentation is most active drive off so many of the volatiles were trying to preserve? Talk to me.

I thought it was a dry hop for 3 days before packaging. Doesn’t dry hopping while fermentation is most active drive off so many of the volatiles were trying to preserve? Talk to me.
Craig dry hops the NEIPA style, follow your recipe Herm for this west coast hoppy ale

There are benefits to dry hopping before fermentation is finished so that the CO2 pushes out any oxygen added during during process

Sorry, I dry hopped mine in two stages the same way I dry hop NEIPA's, both during active fermentation.
Mine never really cleared up, and that is probably why.
Having said that, if I brewed it again, I would hop it the same way:D

Sorry, I dry hopped mine in two stages the same way I dry hop NEIPA's, both during active fermentation.
Mine never really cleared up, and that is probably why.
Having said that, if I brewed it again, I would hop it the same way:D
Off topic a bit, but -
My second batch of Janet’s Brown Ale got a healthy dose of dry hops (pellets added directly to fermenter). That beer has not cleared, even after a month +/- in bottle. It tastes good, even if cloudy. I’m thinking of putting 6 or 12 bottles away to age - maybe that might clear the clouds.

As for the Wayner’s, I think I’m going to dry hop in a bag.

Back