Q1 2021 Community Recipe by HighVoltageMan!

I vote for a new thread as well.
Cool two votes are enough for me :).
I'll get one kicked off this weekend.
Put some feelers out for some more contributors/brewers who want in.
Then get little Tilda to get some a drewl paw picking happening;).
@Nosybear your back in the tin man!
I know - best news you've heard all day lol!

Cool two votes are enough for me :).
I'll get one kicked off this weekend.
Put some feelers out for some more contributors/brewers who want in.
Then get little Tilda to get some a drewl paw picking happening;).
@Nosybear your back in the tin man!
I know - best news you've heard all day lol!
Whoo hoo!

Here's my version of Shady Bohemian....

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1078895/shady-bohemian-nosy-style

Of special interest is the water - I used RO water with just a trace of minerals - and the FG, which ended up quite a bit higher than 1.007! OG was 1.053, FG was 1.021, although I'm a bit suspect of that final number.

Wow, terrific Nosybear. My Shady Bo i s getting close to the bottom of the keg & it's still great. I also did not reach the advertised FG, 1.027 & 3% ABV, but the flavor was great. My recipe was the Nosy Style but I substituted Caraf I for Black Prinz & Chocolate Wheat for Black Pearl.

Tastes great, you don't notice the low ABV, you just drink 2 instead of 1.

Wayner’s Pale Ale, in the books.

Better late than never!

E7F403AA-10E8-4D7E-9B16-7242BF693FEA.jpeg

I bottled my Wayners yesterday, FG smell and taste all on point. Lots and lots of hop goo, had me head scratching how to better handle this amount of hops in the future ( to maximize amount getting into bottles). I think I will be a little over carbonated as I didn’t get as much as I wanted into the bottling bucket due the amount of hop schmeg.

I’ll crack one in a week or so and report back.

Wayner’s Pale Ale, in the books.

Better late than never!

View attachment 14572
My fermentation with this beer is completely out of control. I pitched US-05 (I didn’t have S-04) on Sunday and signs of activity started in about 5 hours. Overnight it picked up some Krausen and I though I was on my way. Temp holding steady at 65-66 F. Two days later I wake up to foam in the airlock (blow off, yeah I know...) and the yeast is ripping away like crazy. I never had a blow out with this yeast before, but I honestly don’t use it much, usually saving it as an emergency pack. I’m a bit concerned that I may have picked up an infection, but I can’t point to any reason in particular why that would be so. The aroma is great, so there’s that. Blow off set up, fingers crossed.

My fermentation with this beer is completely out of control. I pitched US-05 (I didn’t have S-04) on Sunday and signs of activity started in about 5 hours. Overnight it picked up some Krausen and I though I was on my way. Temp holding steady at 65-66 F. Two days later I wake up to foam in the airlock (blow off, yeah I know...) and the yeast is ripping away like crazy. I never had a blow out with this yeast before, but I honestly don’t use it much, usually saving it as an emergency pack. I’m a bit concerned that I may have picked up an infection, but I can’t point to any reason in particular why that would be so. The aroma is great, so there’s that. Blow off set up, fingers crossed.
Sounds like you may have overpitch the yeast a bit. Lag times that short usually indicate too much yeast. But no worries, the biggest problem with an overpitch is the blowout. I seriously doubt an infection, quick start ups show the yeast working faster to drop the oxygen and pH levels that bacteria need to thrive.

Sounds like you may have overpitch the yeast a bit. Lag times that short usually indicate too much yeast. But no worries, the biggest problem with an overpitch is the blowout. I seriously doubt an infection, quick start ups show the yeast working faster to drop the oxygen and pH levels that bacteria need to thrive.
Overpitch sounds possible for sure. This is a full pack of yeast into 3 gallons, fermenter volume. But technically, as a small batch brewer, I always overpitch. Only one other time have I had a blowout (Saison yeast), and that was into the airlock 30 hours post-pitch. This one developed about 60 hours post pitch and about 55 hours after fermentation got going. I'm not overly concerned about an infection, its just that this was so uncharacteristic of anything I've experienced before that I'm searching for explanations. I like overpitch better than infection. Let's go with that. :)

I usually allow 30-40% headspace with US05, as it can get vigorous. I also pitch a package into 5.5 gallons, so an overpitch is likely. That being said, the only harm is what you describe already happened: it'll still be delicious beer!

Not yet, I only have a handful of brews under my belt, I’m just along for the ride right now ;)

OK, so I have scaled Wayner’s Pale Ale recipe for a 1.5 gallon batch, using my trusty old 3 gallon kettle and BIAB method. I do not have temperature control, and conduct fermentations inside an interior closet that maintains a pretty consistent 68*F. Would it make sense to use S-04, or maybe another yeast that works at higher temperatures? I have US-05 on hand, as well as slurries from previous brews. Would Voss Kveik be a reasonable choice? Thanks in advance for any informative replies.

In my humble opinion, US05 will do a fine job. But wait for other opinions.

I used Safale English Ale S-04 without any problems.

Back