Q1 2021 Community Recipe by HighVoltageMan!

With or without temperature control? That is my limiting factor, as my fermentation room is around 68 degrees F.
Ah yes I use a fermentation fridge set to 18C I think. S04 range is 53 - 77F (12-25C) so if you can maintain 68 it will be fine.

It’s not 68 but I did 66 the first 3 days then 68 the rest. Turned out well

OK, so I have scaled Wayner’s Pale Ale recipe for a 1.5 gallon batch, using my trusty old 3 gallon kettle and BIAB method. I do not have temperature control, and conduct fermentations inside an interior closet that maintains a pretty consistent 68*F. Would it make sense to use S-04, or maybe another yeast that works at higher temperatures? I have US-05 on hand, as well as slurries from previous brews. Would Voss Kveik be a reasonable choice? Thanks in advance for any informative replies.
I think you’d be fine with -04 or -05. Th hop aroma in this beer is going to overwhelm any slight esters you *might* get at this temperature. If esters are your concern, that is.

I think that the temperature range for 04, and 05 are pretty much the same. I used S-04 on Wayner's, and was very pleased with the results. IIRC I fermented at 19C. S-04 can work pretty quick, if you can keep the temperature down for the first 3-4 days, maybe use a wet t shirt to get some evaporation going (cooling).

OK, some food for thought, with some support for using S-04, as well as the trusty old US-05. One of the ideas behind the “community” brew is to get outside your usual comfort zone. This brew would cover a bunch of “firsts” for me. First use of: Maris Otter and CaraMunich malts; whirlpool hopping, and using such a large amount of hops; S-04 yeast; any attempt to limit fermentation temperature.

I wonder what anyone thinks of my idea to use Voss, which is also something relatively new to my brewing.

I pitched S04 at 64F, it raised to 68/69 during primary, and then settled back around 64 for conditioning. I use a sticker thermometer, so it's likely the interior of the wort was fermenting in the low 70s. It was a good batch of beer :)

I pitched S04 at 64F, it raised to 68/69 during primary, and then settled back around 64 for conditioning. I use a sticker thermometer, so it's likely the interior of the wort was fermenting in the low 70s. It was a good batch of beer :)
This is how mine turned out...
upload_2021-4-4_23-34-51.png

The downward spikes are me opening the fridge to a very cold garage.... I was checking the bubbler airlock for action.

The temperature difference between Fridge set at 18C and the Tilt at 18.3C is the effect of the plastic wall of the fermenter shielding the true internal temperature of the wort. I also upped the temperature to 20C for the usual rest.

Did you do anything to control temperature?

If your worried about not controlling heat you can use Voss for sure it's got a citrusy thing going on with it which I rekon will compliment Wayner-s Grapefruit citrusy flavours.
But then there are those that can't get past Kviek "thing".
So probably not the right beer for a first time use. I'd run it first in something pretty basic so you can get a good taste for it.
I used Verdant IPA which is an English strain Windsor I've herd talk of and Conan but I think that's hearsay.
I fermented this at 18c
A waterbath is another good idea especially if only doing a small batch size as I know the temp is more easily influenced by outside temp fluctuations.
The water bath will provide your fermentation with a buffer so it won't swing so much.
Food for thought .

If your worried about not controlling heat you can use Voss for sure it's got a citrusy thing going on with it which I rekon will compliment Wayner-s Grapefruit citrusy flavours.
But then there are those that can't get past Kviek "thing".
So probably not the right beer for a first time use. I'd run it first in something pretty basic so you can get a good taste for it.
I used Verdant IPA which is an English strain Windsor I've herd talk of and Conan but I think that's hearsay.
I fermented this at 18c
A waterbath is another good idea especially if only doing a small batch size as I know the temp is more easily influenced by outside temp fluctuations.
The water bath will provide your fermentation with a buffer so it won't swing so much.
Food for thought .
I'm one of those that has trouble getting over the kveik "twang," even though I'm a fan of sours. But I'm going to try it again this year with recipes designed to complement the twang instead of treating it like "normal" ale yeast

So I could work with what I have on hand to make it familiar, or get S-04 or Voss or ..........
Yes I could. We’ll see what I come up with tomorrow at lhbs. Adventure, with a backup plan.
Let your heart be your guide my friend. If you're feeling adventurous, I'd say go for it. Seems like that's a bit outside your normal wheelhouse as far as brewing goes :) you're the one who's gonna drink it! Unless you want to send me some :D

So I could work with what I have on hand to make it familiar, or get S-04 or Voss or ..........
Yes I could. We’ll see what I come up with tomorrow at lhbs. Adventure, with a backup plan.
Let's say you do decide to go with Voss I'd chill down to 30c wrap up fermentor with a blanket and let it go:).
But what does @HighVoltageMan! Think it's his baby after all were talking about;).

Voss would suit this nicely. I ferment Voss at temps from 18C-32C and they all turn out pretty well. I only really use it in pale ales so any sins I commit are covered by the hops anyway.

Yeah, although delicious and worth it and nothing like anything commercially available, the hops cost is higher than usual.

Let's say you do decide to go with Voss I'd chill down to 30c wrap up fermentor with a blanket and let it go:).
But what does @HighVoltageMan! Think it's his baby after all were talking about;).
So I am underway, about half way through my 60 minute mash. I will be using S-04, and trying to keep fermentation temps in the mid-60’s. Good luck to me.
I do not like Voss with this recipe. The "twang" thing Sunfire mentioned is why, it's distracting to me. SO4 is always a good choice for any hoppy beer. The best is WLP007, the hops just stand out with that yeast.

Back