Primitive cider (again)

I think it stays around 64-68 in my kitchen cupboard. I haven't checked the temps of any of my cider batches

OK, I need some advice from my the fellow primitive cider friends.
I found apple juice again, so I'm back in business. But the weather is cooling down.
Prediction for thecoming week:
31-35 oC day time
18-20 oC night time
Will I still be OK with Kveik Vos?
I'm going to put the fermenter in my coolbox again, to level out temp differences.
Or should I look for another yeast?
Weather forecast change...
Gonna be 15 oC on Wednesday and Thursday night.
Not worried about my cider, but very worried about me!!!!
Gotta find those extra duvets

A bucket, a bunch of juice, and a packet of yeast are really all you need. The yeast is kind of optional too. So yeah you can do some interesting stuff.

Batch #2 looks great, but tastes like flat Woodchuck cider lol my crappy yeast crapped out during bottle conditioning. I could probably add a small amount of slurry to each bottle and bring back to room temp, or I might just drink them as is
20210401_144030.jpg

Batch #2 looks great, but tastes like flat Woodchuck cider lol my crappy yeast crapped out during bottle conditioning. I could probably add a small amount of slurry to each bottle and bring back to room temp, or I might just drink them as is
View attachment 15011
You k ow I don't mind em with less carbonation personally makes me all farty:D:eek:!

I'll pour a glass of that Apple pear cherry batch
It only got down to 1.014 which left some sweetness.

So the question is, do you want alcohol, carbonation, or both?

The former I assume you have, so the latter is lacking. Choices include drinking as-is, or splurging for a carb cap to add the latter.

But beware: we got @Josh Hughes to buy a keg and carbonation system... This might be in-budget though (just an example, they can be found for less)

So the question is, do you want alcohol, carbonation, or both?

The former I assume you have, so the latter is lacking. Choices include drinking as-is, or splurging for a carb cap to add the latter.

But beware: we got @Josh Hughes to buy a keg and carbonation system... This might be in-budget though (just an example, they can be found for less)
This place is a vortex! Lol. It sucks you in.
Carb caps were a great idea. I’m probably doing that with my cider when it’s done.

Haha nice try @Donoroto, I have a "plan" for equipment upgrades and I'm going to "stick to it!" :D

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...

Joking aside, it is definitely on the sweet side, so adding more yeast would solve that problem as well. The whole batch is in PETs and I can put them back in the fridge after they carb up without worrying about glass bombs.

Haha nice try @Donoroto, I have a "plan" for equipment upgrades and I'm going to "stick to it!" :D

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...

Joking aside, it is definitely on the sweet side, so adding more yeast would solve that problem as well. The whole batch is in PETs and I can put them back in the fridge after they carb up without worrying about glass bombs.

I think every equipment upgrade starts with a "plan"...before you realize it, you're thinking "you know I really NEED some sort of an outbuilding for the "brewery"...I'm just sayin'.

I think every equipment upgrade starts with a "plan"...before you realize it, you're thinking "you know I really NEED some sort of an outbuilding for the "brewery"...I'm just sayin'.
My thoughts exactly i built a big ugly brew cabinet and the MRS wants it moved.
A perfect excuse for brewery build :)

Weather forecast change...
Gonna be 15 oC on Wednesday and Thursday night.
Not worried about my cider, but very worried about me!!!!
Gotta find those extra duvets
A week ago, I was getting to liking 15*C as a daytime high. Mind you, where I live and work, today it was 33.3*C, in the shade. And it was tropical, humid - most uncharacteristic weather this time of year.

Speaking of cider, that’s right, we still have our first batch sitting in primary. Maybe this weekend it gets bottled. It’s gonna be a cloudy brew, whenever it finds the bottle.

Apple/pear/cherry Aldi juice Cider. Much smoother than the last one. I don't like the combo I think the cherry can go...
I used calcium chloride instead of sulphate and I didn't add any Lactic acid also this only attenuated to 1.014 .
But it's clean on the palate fruity and wife rekons it doesn't taste waterd down. I rekon could be the chloride who knows oh and probably more sugars left in solution.
20210402_182814.jpg

A week ago, I was getting to liking 15*C as a daytime high. Mind you, where I live and work, today it was 33.3*C, in the shade. And it was tropical, humid - most uncharacteristic weather this time of year.

Speaking of cider, that’s right, we still have our first batch sitting in primary. Maybe this weekend it gets bottled. It’s gonna be a cloudy brew, whenever it finds the bottle.
I ended up loving the "milk cider" that I made

Mine has been going since Sunday evening. I didn’t look this morning to see it it was bubbling. I may give it a taste Sunday. I’m going primitive here, not doing a reading. May close the lid completely if it’s not bubbling

As evidence of this. I planned to simply replace my defective 10 gallon brew kettle with a 15 Gal (57L) Spike Brewing Kettle. Then I discovered that it would be too tall to fit under the exhaust hood above my kitchen stove where I heat the strike & sparge water. So, the discussion with my wife wound up with a plan to remodel the entire kitchen :eek: ! I'm opting for Plan B is to see if I can cancel the 15G BK and purchase a 10G kettle. I would love to get a 15G kettle but, I don't think I can afford it. :D

Back