Primitive cider (again)

As evidence of this. I planned to simply replace my defective 10 gallon brew kettle with a 15 Gal (57L) Spike Brewing Kettle. Then I discovered that it would be too tall to fit under the exhaust hood above my kitchen stove where I heat the strike & sparge water. So, the discussion with my wife wound up with a plan to remodel the entire kitchen :eek: ! I'm opting for Plan B is to see if I can cancel the 15G BK and purchase a 10G kettle. I would love to get a 15G kettle but, I don't think I can afford it. :D
Preach on brother...

I want to bottle our cider today. It is a gallon of unfiltered, organic apple juice, fermented with about a half packet of Lalvin EC-1118 yeast. The cider has been in primary fermentation since Sunday February 28. I have 500 ml swing top bottles, and want a nice fizzy drink. What is a good level of carbonation to aim for?

Well that didn't take long, the sides and bottom are bulging out. Put it in the fridge to get some of that CO2 into the liquid. Do you think the temperature drop will allow the sides to relax a bit or will it continue to balloon out?
20210403_093706.jpg

Closed the lid Completely and moved it to the coldest part of the house. Will probably pop in the refrigerator tonight or tomorrow. Week is plenty for a sweet primitive cider? Been fermenting since last Sunday

Is anybody bottling their cider?
If yes, at what level of carbonation?

Batch 1 and 2 were primed to about 2.5 volumes and bottled (usually where I like my beers). Trying a new thing with the third batch. I closed it off yesterday to naturally carbonate, and this morning it is a balloon. I'll probably let it sit in the fridge for a couple days before I decide if I want to drink it now or move it to (plastic) bottles to condition

I think we're on day 15/16? It had been over a week during the zoom call. I wish I had capped it a few days ago, it reached .999 SG, and I was hoping to keep this batch at 1.000-1.005 FG

So I’ve got a ways to go then. Pitched yeast last Sunday.

image.jpg
Our first cider batch is bottled. Based on refractometer sample (corrected for WRI), this finished at a very dry 0.992, with abv 8.2%. Carbed to 3.0 volumes, using brown sugar. The nose is floral, the taste is very nice, and there is a touch of effervescence. We are pleased with our first attempt. This will be called CD’s Cider, based on my wife’s nickname.

Well that didn't take long, the sides and bottom are bulging out. Put it in the fridge to get some of that CO2 into the liquid. Do you think the temperature drop will allow the sides to relax a bit or will it continue to balloon out?
View attachment 15059
It will absorb the co2 into solution ;).

I think we're on day 15/16? It had been over a week during the zoom call. I wish I had capped it a few days ago, it reached .999 SG, and I was hoping to keep this batch at 1.000-1.005 FG
Yup that's one way of retaining some sugars is halting fermentation you can use SMB too but I've not tried this.

I decided to bottle it without priming sugar into PET bottles. I didn't want to babysit that yeast bomb lol

As evidence of this. I planned to simply replace my defective 10 gallon brew kettle with a 15 Gal (57L) Spike Brewing Kettle. Then I discovered that it would be too tall to fit under the exhaust hood above my kitchen stove where I heat the strike & sparge water. So, the discussion with my wife wound up with a plan to remodel the entire kitchen :eek: ! I'm opting for Plan B is to see if I can cancel the 15G BK and purchase a 10G kettle. I would love to get a 15G kettle but, I don't think I can afford it. :D
Thats not too bad!
I am designing my house around my kitchen/brewery :p

OK
7 more litre cider on the go.
Vos kveik again. 1 teaspoon.
The thermometer on the bucket said 32 oC (it doesn't go any higher) surround temp 34-35 oC.
Moved it inside a coolbox to level out day/night time temperature differences.
Should be warm enough for Vos.
I'll be bottling this weekend

OK
7 more litre cider on the go.
Vos kveik again. 1 teaspoon.
The thermometer on the bucket said 32 oC (it doesn't go any higher) surround temp 34-35 oC.
Moved it inside a coolbox to level out day/night time temperature differences.
Should be warm enough for Vos.
I'll be bottling this weekend
Will you be measuring gravity? Or do you just know that it will be done in that time?

Will you be measuring gravity? Or do you just know that it will be done in that time?
I'm primitive.....
Refractometer and hydrometer are in a box in a container.....
I've been ok with 4-5 day fermentation so far, so just keeping an eye on the weathrr and adjusting accordingly.
As said, I bottle in 500 ml pet bottles, so if I am slightly out, it is not going to matter. I will just have a highly carbonated cider ;)

Back