Primitive cider (again)

I'm primitive.....
Refractometer and hydrometer are in a box in a container.....
I've been ok with 4-5 day fermentation so far, so just keeping an eye on the weathrr and adjusting accordingly.
As said, I bottle in 500 ml pet bottles, so if I am slightly out, it is not going to matter. I will just have a highly carbonated cider ;)
So the plastic doesn't explode by sealing the caps on those bottles?

They can hold more pressure than a standard glass bottle, and if they do burst they tend to rupture/split instead of throwing glass shrapnel. Still messy, but less lethal
Sunfire says it better than I can!
Plus: you can assess the carbonation quite easily by squeezing the bottle.
As soon as you think they are done, they go into the fridge

I don’t drink soda, and my water is drunk from a Hydroflask. What might be a good source for plastic bottles for carbonation?

Another product that I don’t consume. I’ll be getting my first COVID shot tomorrow, so maybe some Gatorade bottles to add to my collection?
Gatorade bottles aren't quite the same, I don't know if they're pressure rated as high. You could always water the plants or fill a hummingbird feeder? Or dump it down the drain. They also sell empty PET plastic bottles for beer that are amber colored

Last edited:
In all honesty Herms you may be best off just buying some Pepsi or Coke bottles and finding another purpose for the liquid inside. It's probably the cheapest way you'll get them.

Or buy PET brown bottles from a homebrew shop.

Find the cheapest bottled junk you can find and pour it out. Store brand soda is usually cheap.
Luckily I also drink the occasional gin & tonic, so the tonic bottles get reurposed.

Made a noobie mistake last night. I had sealed off the jug a few days ago when I though action had stopped. Last night I was going to transfer to a few liter bottles. Of course there was fizz but then ALL the yeast started floating and it looked like a storm. So now it’s In The refrigerator and I’ll bottle it tonight.

Find the cheapest bottled junk you can find and pour it out. Store brand soda is usually cheap.
Luckily I also drink the occasional gin & tonic, so the tonic bottles get reurposed.
This is what I do I buy soda water 90c per.

The first bottle of CD’s Cider has been poured, and it is alright, in a good way. In her glass, my wife says she smells sulfur, but I don’t. We both like the flavor, though it is a little bland. At FG 0.992, it is plenty dry. She says it could be a touch sweeter. The aftertaste is straight up apple. We will definitely make another batch!

The first bottle of CD’s Cider has been poured, and it is alright, in a good way. In her glass, my wife says she smells sulfur, but I don’t. We both like the flavor, though it is a little bland. At FG 0.992, it is plenty dry. She says it could be a touch sweeter. The aftertaste is straight up apple. We will definitely make another batch!
Awesome man! Sulfur can fade I find with time.
Also a good rouse once in the cup can help dissipate it as well.

Back